Restricted Section Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > December Book Nominations!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina (last edited Nov 16, 2014 10:49AM) (new)

Kristina Horner (kristinahorner) | 111 comments Mod
Okay, I know it's early, but I wanted to get a headstart on picking next month's book, because I would love your help!

Should we do a holiday book? Some sort of fluffy contemporary? Something totally different? Let me know your thoughts down below and once we pick a theme, I'll start taking nominations. :)

Current nominations:

1. Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn

2. My True Love Gave to Me Twelve Holiday Stories by Stephanie Perkins

3. Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen

4. From Notting Hill with Love... Actually (Actually #1) by Ali McNamara

5. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
*Added this one in even though it's not on theme

6. Let It Snow by John Green

7. keep suggesting!

message 2: by Milly (new)

Milly Paris (numptyparis) | 13 comments I'm suggesting either 'My True Love Gave to Me' (edited by Stephanie Perkins) or 'Dash & Lily's Book of Dares' by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan. Holiday books AND fluffy contemporary. Perfect for the run-up to Christmas :D

message 3: by Kristina (new)

I'm liking fluffy holiday contemporary. Anyone have any other suggestions in that genre?

The Rudie Librarian (Brian) (therudielibrarian) | 14 comments Or of course Let it Snow by John Green, Lauren Myracle, and Maureen Johnson

message 5: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (crystaltokyos) My True Love Gave to Me is a good one! I can't think of any other holiday-related contemporary books, but... I've also had the book The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey on my bookshelf since last year -- that seems winter-esque.

And then there's The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe or Peter Pan? I always enjoy those around the holidays. Just some suggestions.

message 6: by Abby (new)

Abby (abbyzinger) | 15 comments Meh, maybe just me but not into like, uber Christmas-y/Christmas centered books, probably because I don't celebrate Christmas. Maybe I'm just a grinch though. Actually I totally am - but as I said, don't celebrate Christmas.

However, a cute contemporary set around Christmas-time but not like, hitting you over the head with Christmas I would be totally down for. Romance is a plus, I feel like in the winter I love reading cute romance-y books. It's just so lovely to snuggle up in bed and read heartwarming stories.

Loving the suggestion of Dash and Lily! I've been wanting to read that book forever, I simply adore David Levithan's books.

Emm (Readsprite) (emmsprite) | 10 comments I've already read both Dash and Lily and Let It Snow, so I would prefer My True Love Gave To Me, but I wouldn't mind re-reading either of the other two. I like where this is going!

message 8: by Kristina (new)

It doesn't need to be Christmas! Any holiday would fit this category, really.
Or we could broaden it to contemporary romance, holidays being a plus if the book has it?

message 9: by Abby (last edited Nov 04, 2014 03:00PM) (new)

Abby If we're doing fluffy romance, I'll nominate From Notting Hill with Love... Actually. I'm not sure if it's Christmas, but the cover looks all wintery! (And the title takes from Love, Actually, a Christmas movie.)

message 10: by Jack (new)

Jack  (stormoak144) | 18 comments I'd got for Let it Snow, I have been meaning to read it.

Chronicles of Narnia (Lion Witch and the Wardrobe) is also a good one. Christmassy feel without being Christmas.

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Craswell (nicolecraswell) | 10 comments Landlines by Rainbow Rowell is a great one! It takes place around Christmas time and it's sort of a romance about adults remembering what it was like to fall in love back in college.

message 12: by Milly (new)

Milly Paris (numptyparis) | 13 comments Ooooh I like the idea of Landline as well :)

message 13: by Jack (new)

Jack  (stormoak144) | 18 comments I'd definitely be up for Landline or Lock and Key.

message 14: by Milly (new)

Milly Paris (numptyparis) | 13 comments Oooh I know I'm kind of monopolising this thread but I just thought of a great winter book is we don't want to go for a contemp romance. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. It's a beautiful fantasy with romance added in :)

message 15: by Deanna (last edited Nov 06, 2014 06:59AM) (new)

Deanna | 3 comments I recently added The Night Circus to my to-read list. It sounds pretty interesting and it has good reviews. I didn't know it was a winter book, but I'd definitely be up for reading it this December. I think I will, even if it isn't chosen :P

If I'm picking from the two options already listed, I'd go with Dash & Lily.

message 16: by Jack (new)

Jack  (stormoak144) | 18 comments The Night Circus is an amazing book! But I wouldn't consider it a Christmassy/wintery book, nor a fluffy book. I've already read it though, and absolutely loved it!!

message 17: by Finbarr (new)

Finbarr (fionnbharr) | 10 comments The Night Circus is on my "to read" list,and it's one I really want to start soon.

message 18: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Dawson (adladybug) | 17 comments All of these suggestions are sounding amazing!! I can't wait to see which we end up reading next month. The Night Circus is a book I've been wanting to read for a while so that would be my vote

message 19: by Kristina (new)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I added your newer suggestions in!

message 20: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 1 comments Dash and lilts book of dares!

message 21: by Kristina (new)

I think this is a good amount of books to go off of, but I'll still take suggestions for another week or so.

The Rudie Librarian (Brian) (therudielibrarian) | 14 comments You left Let it Snow out of the nominations. Is that because you read it? Just curious. I have read it and loved it and plan on re-reading it every Christmas. I am so excited to read whichever book we choose!

message 23: by Sammy (new)

Sammy Page (sammehpage) | 24 comments what about landline? it has a Christmas theme without being Christmasy!

message 24: by Kylea (new)

Kylea | 39 comments I'd like to read Let it Snow.

message 25: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 11 comments My vote is for Dash & Lily's Book of Dares or My True Love Gave To Me, but I'm looking forward to whatever we decide!

message 26: by Kristina (new)

I did leave Let It Snow off because I've read it already (sorry, that was selfish) but I will add it now. :)

message 27: by Kristina (new)

If anyone has any other recommendations for next month's book, leave them here now! I will be making the poll in the next few days to vote. :)

message 28: by Tove (new)

Tove (tovemaria) | 6 comments I would love to read My True Love Gave To Me, I just bought it yesterday and I've been meaning to save it for December :) It sounds so amazing, with that many of my favorite authors on the list the book must be good! ;)

message 29: by Abby (new)

Abby (abcadab) | 36 comments I'd really like to read either Lock and Key or reread Dash and Lily's book of dares!

The Rudie Librarian (Brian) (therudielibrarian) | 14 comments Kristina wrote: "I did leave Let It Snow off because I've read it already (sorry, that was selfish) but I will add it now. :)"

I don't mind either way, just wanted to make sure you hadn't missed it. I can say at least three of these books were already on my December TBR, so I am excited to read them with y'all. I was planning on reading Let It Snow, Dash & Lily's Book of Dares, and My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories. I won't end up getting to read Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore, which I am very sad about, so I look forward to finally joining y'all in December.

PS: Kristina, you're awesome and appreciated. Thanks for running all of this with everything else you are doing.

message 31: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (readwithstefani) | 2 comments Let it Snow! :D

message 32: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Parkins | 3 comments The Night Circus or Let It Snow :)

message 33: by Maya (new)

Maya | 11 comments I would love to read Let it Snow or Dash & Lily's Book of Dares!

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments Dash & Lily's Book of Dares or From Notting Hill with Love...Actually.

message 35: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Farley (kaymarfar) | 5 comments Dash and Lily's book of Dares or My True Love Gave to Me!!!

message 36: by Louise (new)

Louise (My Tiny Bookshelf) (mytinybookshelf) | 1 comments I'm voting for Dash and Lily :)

message 37: by Bookworm12 (new)

Bookworm12 J | 1 comments I know this is totally out of the contemporary genre but let's do The Perks of Being a wallflower.If not I vote for Lock and Key by Sarrah Dessen

message 38: by Eva (new)

Eva Hargrove | 1 comments My True Love Gave To Me or Dash & Lily's Book of Dares. I read Dash & Lily's Book of Dares and it was very good.

message 39: by Alain (new)

Alain | 1 comments I really liked the suggestion for Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I love that story around Christmas!

message 40: by Kari (new)

Kari Weeks (goodreadscomkariweeks) | 2 comments My vote is "My True Love Gave to Me" or "Let It Snow"!

message 41: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Yeomelakis Let it Snow!

message 42: by Colin (new)

Colin Barrow | 37 comments There's a link up in the top-right of the page for me - just above the search box. This direct link might work too

message 43: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sibraver) | 18 comments THE NIGHT CIRCUS IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST! PLEASE READ IT!

message 44: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sibraver) | 18 comments But I'd also be interested in reading Let it Snow!

message 45: by Mat (new)

Mat | 41 comments Please vote up the night circus!!! I might just be in a grinch mood but the sound of all them love stories are just not intriguing/interesting. The only non-lovey dovey one seemed to be night circus which has a very cool construct! That being said I wish we could also vote for our second choice somehow, mine would be for the next least lovey dovey sounding "book of dares"

message 46: by Mat (new)

Mat | 41 comments I'm Down for the least romantic lol!

message 47: by Valeria (new)

Valeria (gladiolus_97) | 2 comments I'm all for The Night Circus

message 48: by Sanne (new)

Sanne | 1 comments A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens

Let's throw in some classics :)

I'd also be interested in The Night Circus

message 49: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Franco (timmywestside) The Sword and Laser book club is also doing The Night Circus for December. Part of me wants to vote for that just to ease up on getting through book club picks during the holidays, but another part of me wants one of the others because more things to read.

Also, if you guys think you can do two book clubs and like sci-fi and fantasy, I totally recommend joining Sword and Laser here on Goodreads as well.

message 50: by Ivy (new)

Ivy Deliz (ivydeliz) | 9 comments "My True Love Gave to Me"! :) I just got it and would be fun to do a book discussion.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.