Kenyons Minions discussion

Infinity

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments At fourteen, Nick Gautier thinks he knows everything about the world around him. Streetwise, tough and savvy, his quick sarcasm is the stuff of legends. . .until the night when his best friends try to kill him. Saved by a mysterious warrior who has more fighting skills than Chuck Norris, Nick is sucked into the realm of the Dark-Hunters: immortal vampire slayers who risk everything to save humanity.

Nick quickly learns that the human world is only a veil for a much larger and more dangerous one: a world where the captain of the football team is a werewolf and the girl he has a crush on goes out at night to stake the undead.

But before he can even learn the rules of this new world, his fellow students are turning into flesh eating zombies. And he's next on the menu.

As if starting high school isn't hard enough. . .now Nick has to hide his new friends from his mom, his chainsaw from the principal, and keep the zombies and the demon Simi from eating his brains, all without getting grounded or suspended. How in the world is he supposed to do that?

message 2: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Some general questions to help incite discussion. Feel free to answer as many as you'd like.

•Did you enjoy the book? Why? Why not?

•Did you feel that the book fulfilled your expectations? Were you disappointed?

•What did you think of the characters? Could you relate to them or no?
- Who were your favorite characters?
- Who were your least favorite characters?

message 3: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new)

Charlotte (charkro) | 1786 comments Well, dang. I guess I'll go first here, too. XD

When I first got into reading the DH books, I had no real interest in reading Nick's series, but that was because it's designated as YA. Nothing against YA books, but I generally prefer to read more adult books, seeing as how I'm an adult (at least, chronologically, lol).

I finally decided to start reading the series, partly because I wanted to find out more about the primal gods, and partly because my son was reading them (and so, I had someone to discuss the DH world with). And I haven't been disappointed yet. =)

Infinity was no exception. Between Caleb, Bubba, Mark, and Nick himself ... there were a lot of laughs in this book. And it was interesting to see firsthand just how Nick met Kyrian. And I gotta say, it was refreshing to read about Nick before he turned into a hateful jerk in the DH series. (Yes, I understand why he became that way, but I'm still not all that fond of DH Nick. Or rather, Ambrose.)

Just a few general thoughts for starters, I plan to be back with more thoughts. =)

message 4: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments One this book was hilarious. Was so happy and excited when Nick met Kyrian. Those two are hilarious. This was also the book where my love for Cherise went down. :-(

I'm skimming through now to see what other things I enjoyed or didnt in this book

message 5: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Ok I will admit that I thought I knew what this book was going to be like. Given what we had been reading from the DH books thus far, I thought it was going to be a piece of cake. Young Nick, going about the Malachai lay of the land from a different perspective(i.e. going back in time and helping his younger self out) was all good to my mind.

But then I read it...and can I tell you, I was thoroughly confused and like what in the same hell am I reading at first. I mean I get Cherise was protective and a mama bear through and through. But she was aggressively protective to the point of hostile. Nick was more or less one of the special grant kids going to school with teenage squires. Which from the adult books sounded like none of them were tight like that in their youth at all. And like their lives didn't converge til AFTER he met Kyrian and was much older.

From what I do recall of this book I did like how his relationship with Rosa, Kyrian, and even his old gang of friends rang true. But I knew there was something off with regards to him meeting Ash in that time frame. So that and I think a few other things really tipped me off right away that we weren't really dealing with Nick's true past.

But over all I got around to liking it eventually. Just was not much of a fan of Nekoda or Caleb at first. Something just was not ringing quite as true to me about them. But they have definitely proved to be more than interesting as the series progresses.

message 6: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments Yeah I was confused by the timeline at first but when SK explained that the CON was what was suppose to happen to him but too many different beings interfered with his life and screwed up the timeline.

message 7: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments Oh Mark and Bubba. Love them!!

message 8: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments Yeah I do remember being suspicious of both Kody and Caleb. It took time with Caleb and I eventually loved him (I'll explain more when we get to the other books in the series so as not to confuse ppl more). Kody on the other hand was a bit too perfect, I think is what I'm looking for. I always felt that there was more to her.

message 9: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Dude I just have to ask in general. Maybe I just missed it in general. But did she ever talk about or post about the general basis of what the CON books would be like somewhere on her Twitter or Facebook or something? Cause honestly if it wasn't through looking on here or talking to somebody else did I think I first learned about the series. But I don't recall really hearing anything from her about it. So I was majorly confused by stuff.

I do like Mark and Bubba but in small doses. Sometimes they can be a bit much. Yea I don't blame you on feeling that about Kody. She was definitely not quite the girl next door. But all her connections are ridic at times.

message 10: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments Well I remember lots of people asking about the CON series on Facebook when it first came out but on her site, she has this little blurb that explains the series. I usually send people there if they are confused about the timeline

message 11: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Oh ok. Just felt like I had fallen into the series some how or other and didn't know what was what. But I'm hanging in now for sure haha.

message 12: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments Hahaha Yeah I know exactly that feeling. I read the book before finding that info so I was immediately like this didnt happen in the Dark-Hunter series. Thankfully i found out she was giving explanations for the differences and time gaps.

message 13: by Delilah (new)

Delilah Stephans | 56 comments Okay - I always took the series to be Ambrose trying to reshape his past and save his mother to keep him from becoming the demon that destroys the world. I don't think Nick will be able to ever save Cherise - BUT he maybe able to change his future. He's creating an alternate history for his future self. If you think back to Styxx at the end Arik comes to Ash with changes he's noticed in the timeline.

message 14: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments True, but wasn't Infinity released shortly before Dev's book was out? Or after? Hmm. I knew it came out before some book and then we got to reading about some of the character's noticing changes in things. As it seemed like to me it went from him hooking up with Artie and me cringing at her hand of 'friendship' offer again to someone else she could beat up on. To them being the dynamic duo teamed up helping him change his past and all these host of other characters popping up in CON that were familiar and yet shouldn't be there. Along with some other good guys and bad guys too.

message 15: by Delilah (new)

Delilah Stephans | 56 comments Yes Dev's book was released in Sept after Infinity was released in March or May. Since then there has been a noticeable calming of Nick. I think being with Artie has shown him what Ash went through for centuries. Also Artie is becoming less posesively jealus of those she loves finding others to love and changing to violently protective of them. She wanted Apollo's hide after he attacked Nick, so that might be helping as well

message 16: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Ok, cool beans. I'm just getting lost in the details of things at times. Thanks for the reminder Deliah.

message 17: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new)

Charlotte (charkro) | 1786 comments Yeah, we're definitely seeing some small details in the DH books that indicate that the timeline is changing. =)

I'm in agreement with Delilah--I don't think that Nick will ever be able to save Cherise, either. I'm quite sure that she's going to die, no matter what.

And on the subject of Cherise ... I'm kinda on the fence about the way she acts in this book. Speaking as a parent myself, I can see a lot of where she's coming from. And yeah it's real easy, as a parent, to be both relieved/grateful and mad when something bad happens to your kid, because emotions run very high at a time like that.

On the other hand, there are definitely times when she seems to take it to the extreme--it's almost like she's trying a little too hard to keep Nick on the straight and narrow, y'know?

And this makes me wonder: is Cherise truly as extreme as Nick makes her out to be? Or is this simply how fourteen-year-old Nick views her, since this book is his POV? (Because I know that there are some teenage kids who make their parents out to be worse than they really are.)

message 18: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments I'd wondered if Nick was just being a tad overdramatic when it came to Cherise. I'll keep it just to this book and not the whole series. Nick several times goes a bit overboard when something happens. His emotions are just as extreme as Cherise's. He'll try to rain them in but goes off the deep. And That heavy sarcasm is what really gets him in trouble. He never knows when to shut up. That's how I felt during this particular book though. It changed a bit as the series went on because of the interactions Cherise has with other characters who aren't teenagers. I think both that her and Nick's emotions run high but they are on different ends of a spectrum. Cherise coming from a naive, innocent place and Nick having darkness in him. Nick's demon is why his are extreme. Cherise comes from her relationship with his dad. She has this very strong sense of fear and worry when it comes to Nick. On one hand you can tell how much she loves her son and on the other, you can tell that she's extremely worried Nick might be like Adarian. She's always had very good instincts about people even in the DH series. The problem is she can't figure out in what ways Nick is like Adarian.

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments For me a lot of it is that we're in the head of a 14-year-old smart-ass. We're seeing Cherise as he interprets her. Which isn't going to be totally true to reality.

message 20: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Ya know, I think it was a combo of all 3 things really. Nick's age and sort of over reaction to things. Cherise's over reaction to Nick's 'tude and experiences with his father. And even with them being alternate reality versions of themselves that made them more dramatic than they normally would be in their regular timeline.

And yea, I think with certain major events, you just can never change them ever. Deaths, births, or in general anything that will change a person's destiny in general. So for Cherise, I think she was marked/destined to die.

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments I'm not quite sure what I think about whether or not she's going to die. Ash's careless speaking over Nick's fate goes back in time to the end of The Dream Hunter, when Nick hadn't been with Kyrian long at all.

If Nick can somehow avoid Ash saying that, he might have a chance. But I also doubt Ambrose realizes that's the moment he needs to change.

message 22: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments That happens in this one already though. When they were in the car going to Nick's house. After Nick freaked out when Ash popped in Kyrian's house to get rid of the zombies. Although they were joking but Nick says Ash can kill him in ten years provided that he wasn't a virgin and graduated from college

message 23: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments But wait, didn't someone say at one point or other that Dark-Hunter was meant to be the prequel to the DH books in general? If that is the case, maybe it was one of those events in time that Ash saw happening, but didn't know the circumstances of what led to it. So by the time they arrived at the actual events that put into motion what Ash said. It was already too late to stop it from happening.

And true, that is what I thought the whole mission was about in regards to Ambrose's actions. But man he must have dicked around with a lot of his other chances, for things to have ended up like they did in later books. Just saying.

message 24: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments Yeah I think Ambrose is too focused on saving Cherise that he's not looking at the bigger picture. I'm sure I read somewhere though that because Ash is the final fate you can't escape one of his prophesies

message 25: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Shari-amor wrote: "Yeah I think Ambrose is too focused on saving Cherise that he's not looking at the bigger picture. I'm sure I read somewhere though that because Ash is the final fate you can't escape one of his pr..."

Yea, that is what I was meaning in regards to if Dark-Hunter was actually being a prequel. Cause if that was the case Ash's actions already sealed Nick and Cherise's fate so long ago, that even HE couldn't undo them without messing himself up too.

message 26: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments Nick saying Ash can kill him in 10 years isn't what Ash said at the end of The Dream-Hunter.

I just looked up exactly what Ash said, and it's this: I’d be the death of her before Nick would.

At the end of the chapter there's this: As a god of fate, he knew that somehow he’d just set something into motion and, knowing his luck, it was most likely something he shouldn’t have.

message 27: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments Now I'm curious as how this is gonna work. This series is already setting things in motion and changing things. There are still things we don't know about Cherise. According to Mennie she's hiding something about Cherise and will never tell anyone. Maybe whatever that is can save her in some way.

message 28: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments I was talking about in Infinity. He said that in Infinity. I wasn't quoting Dream Hunter

message 29: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Shari-amor wrote: "Now I'm curious as how this is gonna work. This series is already setting things in motion and changing things. There are still things we don't know about Cherise. According to Mennie she's hiding ..."

This is true. Cause isn't she or Nick some how related to M'Adoc right? So I'm thinking on some level maybe she is part nymph or something of some magical nature other than human? But clearly can still be taken down like one.

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments I need to read CON again. I read the first three while I was sick a little over a year ago, so a lot of the all-important details didn't penetrate my addled little brain.

message 31: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments Madoc and Nick are related.

But yeah she definitely be part supernatural something. I'm really curious about her family and their background besides the fact that they're douchebags

message 32: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Not alone on that one, and I wasn't even sick reading these lol.

message 33: by Delilah (new)

Delilah Stephans | 56 comments I think Madoc and Nick are related through their father. Some snippet said something about Nick's father having another son that he didn't know about.

message 34: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new)

Charlotte (charkro) | 1786 comments Yeah, Nick and Madoc are related through the Malachai bloodline. (view spoiler)

I, too, am quite curious as to the big secret about Cherise. The nymph theory is a good one. =)

I swear, I felt chills when I read the conversation between Ash and Nick in the car, when they talked about Ash killing him in 10 years. (From Infinity, that is. ;D)

What I find interesting about that conversation, is that it occurs at about roughly the same point in time (give or take a few months) as the ending in The Dream-Hunter. (Actually, I want to say that it likely occurs shortly after that.)

So yeah ... either Ambrose didn't go back far enough in time, or else this merely adds to the whole theory about Cherise being destined to die no matter what.

Shari makes an excellent point about Ambrose being too focused on saving Cherise to see the bigger picture. And Rachel makes an excellent point, too, about that moment in The Dream-Hunter being the one that Ambrose should have tried to change. =)

message 35: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments I never even put the conversation dates together. I just knew that it would happen in the CON series at some point but never considered if the date would be significant. Good researching on that, Charlotte.

Yeah the nymph theory is very good. Question, does it ever reveal when Cherise actually meets Mennie!? Was it before or after Cherise had Nick!? That could be an important detail

message 36: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new)

Charlotte (charkro) | 1786 comments As far as I know, Cherise met Mennie before she had Nick. I don't believe it was ever specified exactly when that occurred, though.

message 37: by Myst (new)

Myst | 734 comments I think they knew each other before Nick came along too. Didn't Cherise rent an apartment from Mennie once Nick came along? Some sort of crummy 1 bedroom dump?

message 38: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments I want to say later on in CON we learn Mennie helped deliver Nick. But don't quote me on it! Maybe someone else can remember for sure.

message 39: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments Yes! Whew thanks Rachael. I was just looking through the books to see if somewhere it stated or gave an indication of how they may have met. The birth is a good starting point though. I think my thought was if Mennie introduced herself to Cherise knowing something was different about her or if she introduced herself while Cherise was pregnant with Nick

message 40: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Yea, Mennie helped deliver Nick. And I think didn't it say too she was the one to put the first protection spells on him to keep the Malachai at bay and him hidden?

message 41: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments Yep it said that as well. Was she following Adarian when he escaped from Noir!? That could also be Mennie introduced herself to Cherise. Wanted to see why Adarian was taking so much interest in a human girl.

message 42: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Or maybe and we probably just don't know it yet. But maybe Menyara is part of the Source too some how or maybe a guardian to keep watch over the Malachai. And so she sensed when he got free and followed him. But by the time she realized was up, Cherise was already pregnant and out on the streets.

message 43: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments *falls out on floor* Why are there sooooo many theories!? We need answers. *tries to keep the craziness under control*

message 44: by Mare (last edited Nov 16, 2014 12:57PM) (new)

Mare Hernandez (mare9548) | 35 comments All you ladies have excellent points. I also think Cherise's death will happen no matter what. We know certain events don't change, not matter how many times Ambrose tried to change them. I agree he's too focused in saving her, instead of dealing with her death. He hasn't done it. He's still in the anger stage of grieving and giult is eating him alive. I think he hasn't realize that (dimissing the nymph theory) if she gets to old age, she'll die anyway!

I wanted to die with Acheron and his mouth in the infamous scene in the car. He should've known better! But again, he cursing Nick probably is something that couldn't be avoided.

I don't know when Cherise actually met Minnie. I don't remember if Menyara has the power to see the future. If she has, then probably they met even before Adarian entered into the picture. If not, then it was afterwards, but before Nick was born.

message 45: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Or maybe Menyara was friends with Cherise's parents and didn't like how they treated her and opted to follow and watch out for her. To make sure she was safe.

And why dismiss the nymph theory? I mean there were often many nymphs of various types throughout Greek history. That were used for many purposes but didn't quite get the full spotlight.

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments I'm hoping we'll get some more clues in the next one. Which I'm not waiting for the library to get. Have it preordered already.

message 47: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments Hahaha Rachel. Understandable about that preorder. I think I had to wait weeks on the library after the release of Styxx before I was able to read it. One the library didn't get it right away and then I still had to wait for 8 other people on the waiting list to get it.

message 48: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Ah the beauty of the one click purchase. :D

message 49: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments lol Right. I figured that out eventually. I ended up buying it anyway after all that hassle

message 50: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments Exactly! I'm tired of having to wait at the library, and most YA books go to the branch all the way across town.

« previous 1