What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Suggest books for me > CLOSED. Looking for Hunting Humans books

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 12 comments I read Battle Royal and The Hunger Games and was hoping to find some more books that have humans that are hunted for sport. YA or Adult are both welcomed.

message 2: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 322 comments Not for sport but for entertainment (if I remember correctly), there's this classic by Stephen King

The Running Man

message 3: by Feliks (last edited Nov 04, 2014 12:07PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) The Most Dangerous Game

This is the original story from the 1920s which began the entire strain of this kind of fiction.

You may find more in this Listopia I built for 'classic dystopias':
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...

For instance, 'Day of the Triffids' may fit.

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Day of the Triffids definitely fits. Of course, making it more interesting is that it is PLANTS doing the hunting. The Day of the Triffids for the click. There have been 3 filmed versions of this book. One back in the early 60's which frankly stunk. Then a version by the BBC that followed the book fairly closely that had my daughter having nightmares for MONTHS. I haven't seen the 2009 version, so no idea if it's good or not.

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott (smchure) | 77 comments Carrion Comfort has a really interesting take on this. You need to read the description; I can't do it justice.

Also, I remember reading a book probably about 30 years ago, where a hunter hired a guide to take him on a hunting trip in the Southwestern desert, and it turned out that he had planned on hunting the guide all along. I think it was called Bloodsport, but I can't remember for sure.

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott (smchure) | 77 comments Ha, is wasn't Bloodsport, not even close! It was Deathwatch. It's actually a YA.

message 7: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments The original Planet of the Apes has apes hunting humans.

Wikipedia has a nice long list of "human hunting" in literature.

message 8: by Eriberto (new)

Eriberto Mendoza | 5 comments If you're into Japanese manga, "Btooom!" is a good one.

In the video game "Btooom!", players must find other players with radars and kill them with explosives. The story follows a NEET, who is the best player in the game. Meanwhile, a highschool girl, who always plays the game(unknowingly as the male character's in-game wife) hears a rumor from her friends. If you sign the name of someone on a flyer, they'll disappear and you'll get paid. The two main characters, unfortunately, got some people angry(the girl was blamed for the rape of her friends). The two main characters are then sent off to an island to kill people with explosives and survive, eventually meeting each other, not knowing that they're "married on the internet". They work together to survive the game, which follows the same rules as the computer game they played.

There's also an anime on it, though it doesn't cover the entire manga.

message 9: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments Btooom! for the click.

message 10: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments Hunter's Run has an alien hunting a man, but it's not quite for sport.

message 11: by Railyn (new)

Railyn (funky-rat) | 244 comments The Prize Of Peril is similar to The Running Man:

http://www.baenebooks.com/chapters/97...

message 12: by Feliks (last edited Nov 10, 2014 09:55AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "There have been 3 filmed versions of this book. One back in the early 60's which frankly stunk. Then a version by the BBC that followed the book fairly closely that had my daughter having nightmares for MONTHS...."

That's the one I love. It rocks!

FD

p.s. someone's gotta mention Logan's Run

message 13: by Ingo (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 625 comments An older book, I tracked a used copy down exactly 4 years ago.
I remembered reading it from week to week in German translation in a German weekly magazine ("Stern"). And it was filmed, wow, with Peter Fonda even (if you still know him...).
Open Season
Open Season by David Osborn
Just checked prices, might be a bit expensive even used, depending on where you live, I paid nearly 15 Eur (19 Us$ today, back then I am not sure), which is way too much, for a paperback even incl. shipping, but now some copies are even more expensive.
Hm, what to say about it? The subject matter is bloody as expected, but there is a nice twist in the book. Also some rape, so you have been warned. Just checked, the German translation "Jagdzeit" is available for Kindle, price is so-so with 9 Eur. So why not the english one?

Still, I recommend it.
And it is no SF and no dystopia, only gritty realism, could happen today as it was told then (no phones in the wilderness, no computers etc.). Not wanting to spoil it, I will not say more.

The Movie:
Open Season on IMDB 1974

message 14: by David (new)

David Rose | 47 comments Moving Target is a good one, but not for sport. Very gritty (I read it about forty years ago).
For sport, if you don't mind it in a SF setting, you might try Hunting Party, although in fairness the hunting humans section is only about 1/4 of the book.

message 15: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 474 comments Predator by Paul Monette is the novelization of the movie. I'd have sworn it was by Alan Dean Foster, since that was the law in the 80's, but he must have been too busy. I remember thinking it wasn't half bad, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Things Hunting Men is a collection of science fiction short stories with the basic premise you're looking for. I've read it but can't remember any of the stories.

First Blood by David Morrell is the inspiration for the Rambo movies. The first book was pretty good, and is pretty much all about a manhunt for a green beret who got pushed too far. Not for sport, but might be worth a look.

message 16: by Jace (new)

Jace (uwecsmithjac) | 23 comments The Hunt (The Hunt, #1)
by Andrew Fukuda

This book is about a world filled with vampires and a few surviving humans who try to survive among them. Chilling, interesting and humans are definitely hunted!

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39865 comments Mod
Melanie, did you move this to Solved? We don't move requests for books in general to solved, but if you are no longer interested in getting new suggestions we can close the thread.

message 18: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 12 comments Ah yes. Closing the thread would be appreciated. I apologize for the confusion.

message 19: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39865 comments Mod
No problem.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.