Kenyons Minions discussion

One Silent Night

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments While the world carries on unawares, Stryker, who leads an army of demons and vampires, is plotting an all out onslaught against his enemies—which, unfortunately for us, includes the entire human race. To avenge his sister, Stryker prepares to annihilate the Dark-Hunters. But things go awry when his oldest enemy returns. Enter his ex-wife. Zephyra. Just when he thought nothing could stop him, he’s now embroiled in a centuries old war with a shrew who gives new meaning to pain.

message 2: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Some general questions to help incite discussion. Feel free to answer as many as you'd like.

•Did you enjoy the book? Why? Why not?

•Did you feel that the book fulfilled your expectations? Were you disappointed?

•What did you think of the characters? Could you relate to them or no?
- Who were your favorite characters?
- Who were your least favorite characters?

message 3: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new)

Charlotte (charkro) | 1795 comments Well, then. I guess I'll go first, lol. XD

For me, this was one of those books that had to be re-read several times in order to be fully appreciated. It's not one of my favorites, but I do like the book. For starters, it's a heck of a springboard to start the next leg of the series. =)

Overall, I'd say that this book is summed up very nicely by something Apollymi says to Stryker: "You are so blind. Everything is either black or white. I either hate you or I love you. But that's not how it goes. Life is never that clear-cut. Emotions aren't that clear cut."

I'll admit, at first I wasn't sure if I wanted to read Stryker's story. After all, this was the established bad guy in the previous books ... and usually, I'm not all about reading the bad guy's love story. But I did decide to give this book a chance, and I'm glad I did. There really is a LOT going on in this book, and it does take a while to absorb it all.

Stryker ... wow. I know that a number of readers felt that he pretty much became a "wuss", but I personally think that this book added more dimension to him, touching very strongly on his bitterness with his lot in life, as well as his regrets. He regrets what he did to Urian, as well as walking away from his first love, Zephyra (although with her, he gets a second chance). Plus, this sort of phases him out as the primary bad guy, since there are other baddies coming down the line. =)

Zephyra comes across as extremely bitter as well--okay, she's a bitch--but really, she and Stryker do seem to suit each other rather well. Plus, through her we get to meet Jared, who is certainly fascinating, as well as Medea. And let's not forget what she knows about gallu demons, and how the Daimons use that to their advantage.

Nick ... well. Quite the metamorphosis there, lol. That was certainly a whole new ... um, aspect to his persona that I didn't see coming. XD

I have many other thoughts on this book, but I'll stop there for the moment. =)

message 4: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Thanks for kicking us off Charlotte. I'll admit I wasn't a fan of reading about Stryker at first either. I mean for someone to do what he did to Urian like that. Just did not warrant my wanting to read about his twisted behind. But I was more than thrilled to see this other side of him once Zephyra steps into the picture. Bringing with her more family, new opportunities(most especially in regards to the gallu!), and well a new take on the King and Queen of the baddies side of things.

But what always got me. Is why did Stryker never think to nibble on some demons before now? I mean he and the apollites could have been so free from Apollos influence for eons if they did that. But I guess it was Apollo's arrogance in them as a people that kept them from sinking fang in that direction.

message 5: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5275 comments This is when I discovered that Stryker was a softie. He just needed some love. *sighs* I guess when he's bad, he's bad and when he's good, there are some serious blurred lines

message 6: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5275 comments This is also when I thought the Daimons were about to become a serious force to be reckoned with after they started feeding from the gallu. That was the best part of the book.....well and discovering Nick wasn't just some regular crazy ass cajun. Nope Nick is a crazy ass cajun demon master.

message 7: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Haha Crazy ass Cajun demon master. Didn't even think of him that way. Still see the "Nick move your ass" Nick at times. Just with a bit of a 'tude on.

No kidding though about Stryker and the love thing. I guess having many an orgy does not stop making you want that one on one connection.

message 8: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5275 comments *giggles* orgy

message 9: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5275 comments Oh and we also seen how friggin powerful the Titans are!!! It took a bunch of them to bring 3 of them down and they were all powerful beings at that.

message 10: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Titans? Oh snap did I forget something again? >_<

message 11: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5275 comments War. Remember that's the titan that Stryker woke up to destroy Nick and Ash. And War in turn woke up two other gods.

message 12: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments oh that is right. Cause the chick was like a bird thingie. I recall now.

message 13: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5275 comments Yeah and she could make a bunch of copies of herself

message 14: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Yea that's right. I remembers now. ;)

Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥  (mylheage) | 355 comments I wasn't happy with Stryker getting a book.

He was actually the reason I started reading the DH series. I read some snippets with him and thought he was interesting.

We all know how it goes in PNR. Awesome guy gets emasculated. I didn't want that to happen to him but it did. I remember in a later book Zephyra called him "bunny" or something. In private that would have been awful enough but she did in public. Ugh! Stryker should slit her throat for that! But yeah, he's not the cool guy anymore he used to be.

I never liked Zephyra. She's a bitch.

The only good thing about the book was that we get more information about Stryker.

message 16: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new)

Charlotte (charkro) | 1795 comments Dhfan4life wrote: "But what always got me. Is why did Stryker never think to nibble on some demons before now? I mean he and the apollites could have been so free from Apollos influence for eons if they did that ..."

That is a good question, lol. Then again, it seems that Stryker and the Daimons were under the impression that the only souls they could take, were human souls. I suspect that Apollymi had a lot to do with that; she probably didn't want Stryker to get any ideas in regards to the Charonte. XD

ROFL at the orgy comment. XD

Ah yes, the powerful Titans. One of my favorite quotes from the book came from Savitar when he talked about defeating War before: "I was there with twenty-five Chthonians to fight him and he spanked our hides like we were Lemurian slave women."

In regards to that, though, I do find it interesting that when Savitar went on to describe how War was defeated before, that two of the goddesses involved--Ishtar and Bia--were descended from gods who drew powers from the primal source. (Spoiler tag here since this info comes from Dream Warrior: (view spoiler))

Makes me wonder about Stryker's ability to think things through completely, when he went and awakened War. Not sure if he's getting desperate, or if he just doesn't care anymore. (Or maybe he's just not all that bright to begin with?)

I also liked the overall exchange between Apollymi and Savitar. Especially when she buttons his shirt closed. =)

message 17: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5275 comments Agree with everything that Sarah said about Stryker. That's exactly how I felt when I got his book. I miss the man that slit his own son's throat. I love a wicked villain.

message 18: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5275 comments Hahahahahaha I love Sav. Spanked like Lemurian slave women.

message 19: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (last edited Nov 07, 2014 12:35PM) (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Charlotte wrote: "Dhfan4life wrote: "But what always got me. Is why did Stryker never think to nibble on some demons before now? I mean he and the apollites could have been so free from Apollos influence for eons if..."

Ooooh good point about not wanting to bring his notice to the Charontes. Even though I think they could have bounced his skull on the ground a few times like it was nothing anyway. But yea Apollymi would never dream to harm her Charontes regardless of what Simi's sis thinks about it.

Haha, well he was sorta in one there. I mean to some extent I think I was more shocked than Satara that he was even found in that situation with men and women, when she found him. But I shouldn't be surprised though, he is still Greek so to speak.

HAHAHA, yesss totally agree with you about what Savitar said. I still laugh out loud over what he said. And his lovely rapport with Apollymi. Definitely a story there.

Really interesting point there about Ishtar and Bia too Charlotte. But yea I think til his woman came into the picture, Stryker was just doing whatever. He lost his sister, which didn't seem to be much love between them. And Ash found him a woman. So more or less he was just floundering around anyway.

As for him being emasculated I don't know. I mean I always thought a man good bad or evil should still have a soft enough spot for his woman to call him bunny boo bear and still get back to kicking ass one way or another. I mean look at the joker and Harley Quinn. Some twisted individuals but they still had nicknames for each other and was gunning for batman. I just don't think we have seen much of that side in a while to truly say he isn't emasculated per se. Maybe we'll see them as a interesting force against Kessar in the coming dragon age stuff never know.

Also learned about Ash's Charonte connections I believe in this book. And it is still driving me nuts how he got that in there. I still think his daddy was a Charonte. But could be part of keeping him hidden Simi's mom used her blood to hide him while in Styxx's mom's womb. And now I have sudden visuals of Styxx as a freaked out fetus in the womb being all WTF in regards to another baby popping up in there. LOL Happy birthday to me! Not, haha.

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments I didn't get the sense Stryker was being emasculated. It takes a strong man to let a woman give him nicknames. Especially the ones Zephyra uses.

message 21: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (last edited Nov 08, 2014 12:56PM) (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Rachel wrote: "I didn't get the sense Stryker was being emasculated. It takes a strong man to let a woman give him nicknames. Especially the ones Zephyra uses."

Exactly. And if the person you sleeping with can't give you a nickname, it's kind of a sad state of affairs. O_O I mean take the nickname and get back to kicking some ass, boo.

message 22: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new)

Charlotte (charkro) | 1795 comments Yeah, I didn't get the sense that Stryker was emasculated, either. At least, not by Zephyra. Now, Apollo was a different matter; I think what he did to Stryker (putting him in a woman's gown, threatening to geld him, etc.) was far more damaging.

And yes, I do remember the Daimon orgy scene, lol. I was pretty surprised by that, too.

Dhfan, you make a good point there about Stryker floundering, what with having lost his sister and Ash finding a new woman. The more I think about it, the more I think that Stryker was, indeed, getting desperate ... and letting his anger get the best of him. I mean, look at the various plans he's made throughout the series, that have backfired on him. But I'll give him points for determination. =)

Yes, this is indeed the book where it is revealed that Ash is part Charonte. I'm thinking that his father was the Charonte (most likely Xedrix, but it could easily be a different male).

message 23: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5275 comments I agree about Stryker getting desperate on awakening War. I got the sense that he was a bit suicidal as he knew War couldn't be trusted and would turn on him but he was ok with it as long as Ash and Nick were killed first.

message 24: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Shari-amor wrote: "I agree about Stryker getting desperate on awakening War. I got the sense that he was a bit suicidal as he knew War couldn't be trusted and would turn on him but he was ok with it as long as Ash an..."

And that always tickles me. How the person that unleashes such an unstable force expects said unstable force to do what THEY want and to hell with everyone else. But in reality unstable force is saying screw you as well buddy haha.

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments I need to re-read this one. I have no memory of the Ash is part Charonte revelation.

message 26: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Rachel wrote: "I need to re-read this one. I have no memory of the Ash is part Charonte revelation."

It was at the end when they were getting Menyara out of the prison. And I think she was the one to say that Nick should be able to relate to Ash even more now or something cause Ash was part charonte demon too or something like that.

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments I don't remember that about Menyara either. Definitely need to read it again.

message 28: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Oh, yea a re-read never hurts. :)

message 29: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5275 comments Yeah I remember Menyara saying that Ash was part demon. I'm not sure if she came out and said Charonte though. I believe and I could be wrong that it was somewhere that said Ash was part Charonte.

message 30: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Gah, we need flash cards and fact sheets for this series like nobodies biz at times.

message 31: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new)

Charlotte (charkro) | 1795 comments You're absolutely right, Dhfan and Shari. Menyara was the one who told Nick about Ash, right before the epilogue in the book. =)

Her exact words, after Nick points out that Ash is a god: "Yes, but before he was a god, he was half human and half Charonte. Only he has the powers to help you."

message 32: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Gone with yo badself Charlotte on finding that part for us. Screw flash cards we have Charlotte on the case! ;)

message 33: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new)

Charlotte (charkro) | 1795 comments ROFLMAO! Yep, that's me ... keen, mean, highlighting queen. XD

This is also the book where it's stated that Ash is a Chthonian (though we learn in Night Embrace that he's a god-killer).