Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1)
This topic is about The Bronze Horseman
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Simons, Paullina- The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman #1) ;Informal Buddy Read- Starts December 1, 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31138 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons.

Book Synopsis:
The golden skies, the translucent twilight, the white nights, all hold the promise of youth, of love, of eternal renewal. The war has not yet touched this city of fallen grandeur, or the lives of two sisters, Tatiana and Dasha Metanova, who share a single room in a cramped apartment with their brother and parents. Their world is turned upside down when Hitler's armies attack Russia and begin their unstoppable blitz to Leningrad.

Yet there is light in the darkness. Tatiana meets Alexander, a brave young officer in the Red Army. Strong and self-confident, yet guarding a mysterious and troubled past, he is drawn to Tatiana—and she to him. Starvation, desperation, and fear soon grip their city during the terrible winter of the merciless German siege. Tatiana and Alexander's impossible love threatens to tear the Metanova family apart and expose the dangerous secret Alexander so carefully protects—a secret as devastating as the war itself—as the lovers are swept up in the brutal tides that will change the world and their lives forever.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 4: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi | 663 comments Can I join this?

message 5: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments Of course, Joi :).
I think they haven't quite set the date yet, but it will probably be sometime in early December.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5075 comments How about we make it December 1, if that is okay with everyone?

I'm really looking forward to reading this finally, a lot of people think it is an absolute classic.

message 7: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi | 663 comments Amanda wrote: "Of course, Joi :).
I think they haven't quite set the date yet, but it will probably be sometime in early December."

Thank you. I've had this book just sitting around and everyone seems to love it.

jingles I have had this on my personal TBR for, I don't even remember how long. I would love to join in if that's okay.

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments December 1st is fine with me.
Great to see you here, Jingles! Of course you can join.

jingles Thanks, Skandia! It's great to see you too :)

I'm excited to finally read this.

message 11: by ~Leslie~ (new) - added it

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 2240 comments I've also had this book on my TBR for a long time. May I join as well?

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5075 comments Of course Leslie, the more the merrier.

message 13: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1628 comments I'll join in too. It's been on my kobo for over a year.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5075 comments Great Rosina. It must be a book that has been lurking on a lot of readers TBRs.

message 15: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex | 1018 comments I'm in on this too. Looking forward to it.

jingles Yay, Rosina!

message 17: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1628 comments :) I know looking forward to this read...heard so much about it

Ezinwanyi Chinyere why is this NOT on audio?

jingles Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "why is this NOT on audio?"

I have been waiting for this to be released in audio format for several years. I honestly don't think its ever going to happen :(

Ezinwanyi Chinyere jingles wrote: "Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "why is this NOT on audio?"

I have been waiting for this to be released in audio format for several years. I honestly don't think its ever going to happen :("

It's on cassette tapes, so there is an audio out there. It's just not on audible

message 21: by Allison Ann (last edited Nov 19, 2014 07:26PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Allison Ann | 1408 comments I'm another one who has been meaning to read this for a long time. I'd love to join your buddy read.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5075 comments Great, Allison Ann. Hope we all enjoy it.

message 23: by ~Leslie~ (new) - added it

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 2240 comments Oh wow, this is coming up fast!

Nichole | 980 comments I just read books 1 & 2 last month, back to back. Omgosh, I loved them! Enjoy, ladies :)

message 25: by Cynthia (new) - added it

Cynthia (cynthiab) Just picked this up from the library. I've never read a book with such small print. I wish they had it in e-book. Or even large print.

message 26: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1628 comments I have it in ebook. Does your library?

message 27: by ~Leslie~ (new) - added it

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 2240 comments My library also has it in ebook. What's the name of your library? I can check overdrive and see if it's there.

message 28: by Agnès (new)

Agnès (margali87) I'm joining too!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5075 comments I've made an early start because its a long book.

I went to St Petersburg(Leningrad) this year for a few days so it will be a bonus to see if I recognise any places in the book.

I'm reading this addition.. The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1) by Paullina Simons It's a beautiful cover.

message 30: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Nov 28, 2014 07:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5075 comments I've read the first 200 pages. It's intense. There's history, love and war and even a (view spoiler)

Paullina Simons does really well setting the scene, the intensity and desperation of an embattled city and people. Although (view spoiler)

And I wonder (view spoiler)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments I've started reading also.

This is going to be very emotional read for sure.
I was born a little over 100 miles from Leningrad (St.Petersburg) near to Soviet Russia boarder, and we went to family trips to Leningrad every summer. I remember all the beauty of the big historical city, Tsarskoje Selo and Peterhof Palace and gardens.
My favorite place was The Winter Palace. I could have stayed there for days.

message 32: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex | 1018 comments I think I'll start today. I've been resisting but if there's other early starters I'll get going!

Debbie (Doc) I would like to join you on this one. I've had it on my TBR for a long time!

message 34: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex | 1018 comments Impressions through chapter 12.

I love the setting so far. Simoms describes Leningrad so well and has set up her characters as well rounded and interesting.

(view spoiler)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5075 comments Welcome Debbie.

message 36: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Nov 29, 2014 02:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5075 comments Into Part 2. (Page 322).

Everything is hotting up now, (view spoiler)

Debbie (Doc) Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Welcome Debbie."

Thanks, Lisa!

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Chapter 2
(view spoiler)

message 39: by Cynthia (new) - added it

Cynthia (cynthiab) ~Leslie~ wrote: "My library also has it in ebook. What's the name of your library? I can check overdrive and see if it's there."

I checked Overdrive, 3M, and Hoopla. I'm stuck with the physical book. I never thought I'd have to read Large Print books! It's hell getting old, but the alternative is worse.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5075 comments Skandia, the whole subject about Alexander's history and the story of his parents is told in a prequel apparently. Children of Liberty

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5075 comments I've only got about 200 pages left to read. Wow, what an epic.

The section about the Siege of Leningrad is so emotional. I had no idea about the suffering and desperation that occurred there. And Paullina Simons depicts it so realistically.

Deedee | 577 comments Hello all! I've started The Bronze Horseman. (Here's the cover: The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons ) I'll post comments in a day or two after I've read at least 100 pages (my edition has 894 pages since it is a mass market paperback)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5075 comments Part 3, Chapters 5 and 6

(view spoiler)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments The Siege
(view spoiler)

message 45: by Cynthia (new) - added it

Cynthia (cynthiab) I've just started, so I'm only to the beginning of Chapter 2. I love the time period. It's a bit overly descriptive, but I expect that will not continue. It is helpful to get a good feel of the time and place.

I plan to read just a few chapters a day, intermixed with other books. I probably won't finish until the end of the month.

jingles I just got my copy from the library! Yay! I'll be starting it shortly!

message 47: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex | 1018 comments I'm about halfway through and this book is utterly breaking my heart. I keep meaning to make longer comments but I'm finding it difficult to put down.

message 48: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Dec 01, 2014 03:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5075 comments Skandia, the book is dedicated to the author's Grandparents who apparently lived through the Seige. No doubt the authentic feel is due to her family history and getting the first hand accounts.

I've finished. All I can say is "epic" and what a rollercoaster of emotions. (view spoiler)

I've already ordered book 2 - hoping we can continue the buddy read with the next book sometime in January?

message 49: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1628 comments Cynthia wrote: "I plan to read just a few chapters a day, intermixed with other books. I probably won't finish until the end of the month.
.."

That's my plan too...I also have to finish Outlander and start Dragonfly in Amber

3 big books this month yeesh what was I thinking!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5075 comments Rosina, you're tackling two of the biggest historical romance epics written in recent history. What a reading treat you have in store. Enjoy!

« previous 1