21st Century Literature discussion

Welcome to 21C > Welcome (21C Lit) - Introduce Yourselves Here!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 967 (967 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 19 20

message 1: by Terry (new)

Terry Pearce Hi!

You've found 21st Century Literature, a book club devoted to what we hope will be the future classics of literature, published from 2000 onward.

Introduce yourself here and tell us what interests you, why you joined, or anything that's on your mind. Also, ask any questions you like.

Then check out the threads detailing what we're reading right now and what's upcoming. And jump in!

message 2: by Julia (new)

Julia | 2 comments Hello, My name is Julia Harmon and I was born in Kennett, Missouri and have lived in Oklahoma for 34 years. I am a retired librarian and an aspiring novelist. Have just read Marilynne Robinson's Lila, had read Gilead already and am now reading Home. Am also finishing Wallace Stegner's Angle of Repose, which I loved.

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia | 2 comments Sorry to have included Angle of Repose in my current reads; it was published in the 1970's. The centuries can get away from us!

message 4: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 2102 comments Mod
Welcome Tracy and Julia. And, Julia, you're allowed to mention non 21st century books in discussions, you just can't nominate them for group reads :-)

I loved Angle of Repose as well. Still my favorite Stegner.

message 5: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 1692 comments Mod
Welcome, Julia and Tracy. We're glad to have you with us.

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 1 comments Hi everyone! I'm Kat, live in Alabama, have 2 grown boys (25 and 23), and I am a PACU nurse... I'm one of the first faces you see when you wake up from surgery.

I have always been a reader, even when I was a child. I love historical fiction and classics, even though I do read lots of different genres. Some of my real life friends have a tendency to call me a "book snob"...but that's ok too.

I am currently reading Flyboys: A True Story of Courage...and I just found my copy of Swann's Way in a box... so I am about to start it as well.

message 7: by Casceil (new)

Welcome, Kat. You are just in time to vote on what to read in January. We will have both an open pick and a wild card pick. Check the polls.

message 8: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (cedickie) | 384 comments Mod
Hi Everyone! My name's Caroline and I joined the group not too long ago but was lurking around a bit before posting, hehe.

I've been living in San Francisco for the past 4 1/2 years and just graduated law school (and passed the Bar, phew!). I have always loved reading but have let studying, working, Netflix, and other distractions get in the way and want to challenge myself to read more. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to catch up with my Dad, who reads 100+ books a year, but maybe I can do 50 one of these years. Anyways, I can be a bit picky when it comes to choosing books and I see that this group has picked some good stuff so I'm excited to see what books will be thrown out there. I may also use the group's bookshelf for ideas of what to read next.

My favorite fiction books I've read this year so far are the Narrow Road to the Deep North, TransAtlantic, The Signature of All Things, Americanah, Colorless Tsukurau Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage, Capital, and An Officer and a Spy.

message 9: by Casceil (new)

Welcome, Caroline.

message 10: by Marc (new)

Marc (monkeelino) | 2631 comments Mod
Indeed, welcome to the group, Caroline--and congrats on passing the Bar!

message 11: by Erica (new)

Erica Ellis (ericainmn) Hello! I am very glad to find this group! My name is Erica, and I am a freelance book editor currently living in northern Minnesota. I have been here for 16 years but I am planning my escape to Florida in 2 years when my youngest goes off to college. Favorite books from the last several years include Flight Behavior (Kingsolver), The Signature of All Things (Gilbert), The Art of Fielding (Harbach), and Freedom (Franzen). Still trying to decide how I feel about The Goldfinch (Tartt). I am really looking forward to finding and discussing great new books with the group!

message 12: by Whitney (new)

Hi, Erica, welcome to the group.

message 13: by Casceil (new)

Welcome, Erica. I also really enjoyed The Art of Fielding and Freedom. I really liked the Goldfinch, too, though I understand it is not everyone's cup of tea. I look forward to discussing books with you.

message 14: by Marc (new)

Glad you found the group, Erica!

message 15: by Casceil (new)

Welcome, Michelle. We're delighted to have you join us.

message 16: by Marc (new)

We're glad to have you in the group, Michelle (and appreciate what you've already contributed)! Looks like you're incredibly well-versed in 21st century fiction.

message 17: by Whitney (new)

Michelle wrote: "I did have one question. Would it be possible to move up to closer to the top of the group site the current discussion for open pick nominations? Perhaps to a location before the various book disc..."

I have no idea if it's possible to do that. Maybe some of the other mods do? I usually find the threads from the main Goodreads page, as that shows the threads for the group in order of activity.

message 18: by Whitney (new)

Yeah, the app is a little weak. But if you go to groups, "unread topics", the most recent will still come up first.

message 19: by Casceil (new)

Following Michelle's excellent advice, I have moved up the "What to Read" folder, with monthly nominations, to appear much higher on the home page. It used to be much higher, but I think people creating new discussion topics for monthly reads kept sticking their new topics at the top of the list. I don't know who is setting up the folders for the January books, but maybe they could insert them after the "What to Read" category.

message 20: by Whitney (last edited Dec 31, 2014 06:26PM) (new)

Can you PM me on how to move the folders around?

Never mind, I figured it out. Sweet.

message 21: by Cyd (new)

Cyd Madsen (cydmadsen) | 6 comments Hi all. I'm not sure if I've introduced myself before, but just in case, here goes again :-),

My name is Cyd, I live in Alma, Arkansas with my husband and two dogs. Born and raised in Santa Monica, California, so you can imagine the culture shock I'm dealing with, especially since I moved from Cali to Las Vegas and lived there for 30 years. It's been a Sin City to Bible Belt journey.

I read like crazy, don't much like audiobooks but started listening to Gaiman's American Gods last night, before seeing the group pick. I'm looking forward to the discussion.

message 22: by Whitney (new)

Hi, Cyd, welcome. I don't think you've 'formally' introduced yourself, but I know I've seen you posting on the discussion boards.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Greetings! I am really pleased to find this group and look forward to reading together. I used to belong to a book club that met in the real world and I miss the discussion and perspectives that enriched my reading of new(ish) novels and short stories.

I live with my husband and 5-year-old son in rural Canada. I am happy but my brain is lonely these days as the cultural life around me is not inclined to discussion of art or ideas. It is more fulfilling, I think, to share than to read alone.

Looking forward to Gaiman, that old charmer, and Smith, who I haven't yet read.

Julie

message 24: by Terry (new)

Terry Pearce Hi Julie.

Great to have you around. I think you will find it fulfilling to read and discuss with us. February reads have just been announced, so you have even more to look forward to (personally, I can't remember a month I've looked forward to as much as February with 'Bone Clocks' and 'Traveler of the Century'). I'm also enjoying 'The Vanishers' a lot, discussion of which starts on 15th January.

message 25: by Lily (last edited Jan 05, 2015 06:10PM) (new)

Lily MacKenzie (lilyionamackenzie) I don't think I've introduced myself to this group yet. I hope to start commenting on How To Be Both soon. As for me, I'm a writer and teach freshman comp part-time at the University of San Francisco. I'm also vice-president of the part-time union there.

I don't know any writers who aren't ardent readers. That's one way I get inspired and improve my craft. Ali Smith's work interests me because she doesn't necessarily create traditional narratives (not that I don't like traditional narratives, but I also like unusual approaches, something "novel.")

One of the things I like about the real-time reading group I'm part of is the various angles that readers bring to a work, so I'm looking forward to making new discoveries through your comments.

message 26: by Marc (last edited Jan 06, 2015 07:00AM) (new)

Welcome to the group, Cyd, JS, and Lily! Please do jump into the discussions of Gaiman and Smith whenever you're ready--we share a lot of stimulating books and dialogue to fulfill your hunger for culture, book-loving camaraderie, and writing inspiration.

message 27: by Lily (new)

Lily MacKenzie (lilyionamackenzie) JS wrote: "Greetings! I am really pleased to find this group and look forward to reading together. I used to belong to a book club that met in the real world and I miss the discussion and perspectives that en..."

Hi Julie

I was born and raised in Canada, so I'm wondering where you live in rural Canada.

Lily

message 28: by Terry (new)

Terry Pearce There may be writers who aren't readers, but I doubt they'd be successful enough for you to know them.

Welcome; hope being here inspires.

message 29: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Izaguirre (sweetji) | 120 comments Hello everyone. My name is Jessica, I am Venezuelan but have been living in the US for 6 years now. I am a software developer and also an artist. I enjoy reading mostly fantasy and science fiction. I joined this group a few weeks ago after reading threads on Kafka on the Shore which were very enlightening and helpful.

I am looking forward for the discussions on American Gods which I read recently and enjoyed a lot. I have never been a part of a reading group but I read frequently and I am always looking for recommendations on new books.

message 30: by Whitney (last edited Jan 07, 2015 07:10AM) (new)

Hi, Jessica, welcome! You can jump into book discussions anytime. You can see what we're currently reading as well as upcoming books from our homepage. If you like Murakami, you should definitely give February's The Bone Clocks a try. A lot of Murakami fans also like David Mitchell, if you haven't read him before.

message 31: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Izaguirre (sweetji) | 120 comments Thanks Whitney for the recommendation, I'll pick up a copy or check out the library for The Bone Clocks for February. I haven't read any of this books before, but I am a Murakami fan so it sounds interesting/

message 32: by Addilynne (new)

Addilynne (theprimitivemodernist) | 1 comments Hello all,
My name is Addison Dawkins-Halko and I am an english major currently on leave from my college so I have time to write full time. I am interested in the classics but just as intrigued by the "modern classics", or rather books that will be viewed as classics in the near to mid future. In addition to this i need to join more groups especially ones stressing profound and modern literature to fulfill my discussion and mind expansion personal needs (as they are not currently being filled with courses and classes discussions in the college setting.

message 33: by Lily (new)

Lily MacKenzie (lilyionamackenzie) Welcome, Addison.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Lily wrote: "JS wrote: "Greetings! I am really pleased to find this group and look forward to reading together. I used to belong to a book club that met in the real world and I miss the discussion and perspecti..."

Close to Creemore, Ontario ... and you?

message 35: by Lily (new)

Lily MacKenzie (lilyionamackenzie) Where in Ontario is that? I used to visit the Muskokas (sp?) when I lived in Toronto many years ago.

I'm originally from Calgary but now live in the Bay area.

message 36: by Marc (new)

Glad you could join our group, Addison! Hopefully, you'll discover some "modern classics" and inspiration for your writing. Current discussions of American Gods and How to be both are underway; we'll start discussing The Vanishers on the 15th of this month; and we'll be discussing The Bone Clocks and Traveler of the Century starting February 1st.

message 37: by Meinte (new)

Meinte (meinted) Hello! My name is Julian. I live in Holland. l love creative indie music, tv series, and such. I discovered an interest for reading books, too, ever since I was able to read books I actually liked, instead of mandatory reading (Dutch) classics. Looking trough past reads I saw Murakami, which I'm slowly becoming a huge fan of. I actually saw a lot which I'm planning to read. I mean, up next is The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell, which I was actually planning to read when (if ever!) I would finish my current read(s...).

So I guess joining this group is a great first step in exploring the world of modern literature. And even if I forget to participate in the discussions, this group will give me lots of suggestions for books to read!

message 38: by Casceil (new)

Welcome, Julian. I hope you like it here.

message 39: by Whitney (new)

Hi, Julian, welcome! What are some of the Dutch classics that are considered mandatory reading?

message 40: by Meinte (new)

Meinte (meinted) I've had to read books from writers like Louis Couperus, Willem Frederik Hermans and Erwin Mortier, very established Dutch writers. I do believe most are untranslated, but still, much more interesting are the more recent ones: books from Arnon Grunberg, Herman Koch, Ronald Giphart and Tommy Wieringa. From these Herman Koch could be considered the most popular (you may know "The Dinner"), I believe Grunberg's "Tirza" is also translated.

I personally think Dutch "classics" are more about showing off than actually telling a good story. One book by Harry Mulisch starts exceptionally difficult, because he only wants people really devoted to literature to read it. Another by Gerard Reve ("De Avonden", in English "The Evenings", considered the 'best Dutch novel of all time') is actually boring on purpose! Therefore I really liked Arnon Grunberg, because it was so completely opposite from other Dutch books. The same goes for English and American literature (and Murakami!), I believe they're more about telling a good, multi-layered story than showing off writing skills. And even if they do show off writing skills (current read "Wolf Hall" comes to mind), they're still telling a good story while they do it, and they're not overcomplicating the read or make it impossible to enjoy. Because after all, I read books because I enjoy doing so! (this speech may have gone a bit radical)

message 41: by Kate (new)

Kate Hackett (katehackett) Hi! Thanks for hosting such an intelligent group -- I love the books you choose and can't wait to dive into discussions!

To introduce myself, Hi: I am Kate! I am the showrunner/creator/star of a show that is VERY heavily bent on interpretation of classics -- it's kind of in that lit web genre (reimagining old classics for web series), but with a different take. You can check it out here: http://youtube.com/ClassicAliceSeries

Can't wait to get going! :)

message 42: by Marc (new)

Julian--thanks for the lowdown on Dutch writers and welcome to the group!

Kate--I suspect quite a few of our members are/were/or-easily-could-have-been English/Lit majors--welcome!!!

Nominations are currently open for our March Open Pick read (please only nominate a book if you plan to read and join in on the discussion).

message 43: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Hello all.
I'm Charlotte, from New Zealand but living in Edinburgh. Getting back in to reading after a harrowing degree in literature reading mostly books I didn't like...Love contemporary fiction and needed some direction in my reading - there is just so much choice! Anyway, I have February books on the way and am looking forward to getting stuck in. Pleased to meet you all.

message 44: by Whitney (new)

Welcome, Charlotte, looking forward to seeing you in the discussions. Be sure to vote on a book for March if any of the nominees strike your fancy. You can find it here if you haven't already: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/5...

message 45: by Casceil (new)

Welcome, Charlotte.

message 46: by Adriano (new)

Adriano Bulla (adriano_bulla) Hello,

I'm Ade. I apologise; I've been a member of this group for a long tome but never posted (in my defence, I'm a member of something like fifty groups...)

Well, here I am; better late than never, I suppose.

Literature, oh yes. I have taught Literature for many years, as well as other subjects (Latin, Philosophy, Anglo-Saxon, etc...). I'm a lover of Comparative Literature, Literary Theory, Classical Literature, Medieval Lit, Poetry, epic Poetry and Lit in general.

Ade

message 47: by Marc (new)

Adriano wrote: "Hello,

I'm Ade. I apologise; I've been a member of this group for a long tome but never posted (in my defence, I'm a member of something like fifty groups...)

Well, here I am; better late than ne..."

It's never too late for an intro (or an official welcome)!

message 48: by Lola (new)

Lola Smirnova (lolasmirnova) | 2 comments Thank you, Marc :)

No problem, I'll move it. There are so many different groups and threads! A bit confusing for the beginner.

I'm reading something very good right now, but I'm afraid it doesn't fall under the 21st Century category - it's Gone With The Wind... So I'll have to discuss it somewhere else ;))

message 49: by Marc (new)

Thanks, Lola!

I loved Gone with the Wind!!! It's one of my favorites. I read it for the first time a couple years ago. Not sure what I was expecting, but I could hardly put it down. This group is great for discovering new books/authors, but you'll find a lot of the members have favorites from previous centuries ;p

message 50: by Lola (new)

Lola Smirnova (lolasmirnova) | 2 comments Great! I'm also loving it! It's just a bit TOO LOOOOOONG....
But I completely understand. Hundred years ago people's imagination wasn't so spoilt by television and internet. They needed longer descriptions ;)
I watched a movie very long time ago and recently decided to read it. Unexpectedly, I found so much common between Scarlet and the main character of my book! - and I'm not trying to self-promote here ;) - despite that the stories, times and cultures are completely different! It's amazing!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 19 20