The Wide Web of Friends in YA Books discussion

In Bookish News... > #HaleNo - Blogger Scare!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) | 8842 comments Mod
I don't know if you've heard of this, but it's been blowing up in the blogosphere.

An author, Kathleen Hale became obsessed with a book reviewer who have Hale's book a negative review. Hale proceeded to stalk this reviewer online and eventually went to her house. Yeah, NOT okay. Hale wrote an article about this experience and wrongly glorifies what she did. You can read it here:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014...

How do you feel about this? Are any of Hale's actions reasonable? Do you agree with what she did? Blythe's review is apparently really scathing and bad but does that justify what Hale did?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Rachel (Miss Perfection) wrote: "I don't know if you've heard of this, but it's been blowing up in the blogosphere.

An author, Kathleen Hale became obsessed with a book reviewer who have Hale's book a negative review. Hale proce..."

What She Did Is Horrible. Stalking a Reviewer is Not Okay

message 3: by Rachel , The Attentive One (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) | 8842 comments Mod
SO not okay... Some people are boycotting HarperTeen books because they think someone from Harper Teen leaked Blythe's address....

Other bloggers are doing a November #Blackout where they refuse to review books for all of November.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Rachel (Miss Perfection) wrote: "SO not okay... Some people are boycotting HarperTeen books because they think someone from Harper Teen leaked Blythe's address....

Other bloggers are doing a November #Blackout where they refuse t..."

What? :0

The Author Clearly Needs Help. Clearly She is Not Thinking Straight

message 5: by Angel (new)

Angel (angelyh) This Author- Crazyyyyy

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (godisgoodallthetime-) | 1590 comments Rachel (Miss Perfection) wrote: "SO not okay... Some people are boycotting HarperTeen books because they think someone from Harper Teen leaked Blythe's address....

Other bloggers are doing a November #Blackout where they refuse t..."

I don't think people should boycott HarperTeen books.

message 7: by Abby (new)

Abby (valleysmelody123) | 223 comments @Kitty: i feel the same way. I hate what Hale did( it was quite a terrible thing) , but I don't feel that reviewers should boycott Harper Collins books. And I definitely won't stop reviewing books for all of November. I'm not boycotting HarperCollins books. And I'm not ceasing to review. I just don't feel like I should stop doing what I do just because of this while situation. I know that it affects book reviewers, but I think that people should just get over it. Let the law and the people involved handle it. The press and we don't need to be involved in it.

message 8: by Aliza (new)

Aliza (alizaf) | 301 comments I read the article and...it kind of felt like the author was prepping for her next book. The whole article she is trying to turn this blogger into some sort of criminal and discredit her reviews. Personally i hate the idea that she was using other people's pictures but everyone has a right to anonymity on the internet and the author violated that. She turned this into a cyber-bullying case when all that happened is she had a hard time accepting bad reviews......I'm sorry for all the senseless rambling but i'm really bothered by both sides of this story!

message 9: by Rachel, The Overseer (new)

Rachel (starjoy899) | 842 comments Mod
This sort of reminds me of that story about Kiera Cass and the review right here on goodreads for her book The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass where she blew up at one of my favorite reviewers and liked up all the good reviews on her book. Does anyone remember that?

The Wide Web of Friends in YA Books

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Selection (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kiera Cass (other topics)