♥!The Young Adult Book Club!♥ discussion

Monthly Book Discussions > Book Pet Peeves

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (waterspout) | 370 comments Have you ever gotten annoyed at something in books besides the content? Broken book spines, dog-ear pages, unattractive covers?

description

Rose (LittleBookOwl) (roselittlebookowl) Sometimes I want to slap the character in the book lol :) Also, a water spot on a page in a brand new book, if I get a spot dirty on a brand new book cover!

Kari (BookandCoffeeLover) (clear_tranquil) | 10 comments Stickers on the book covers that do not come off >_<

message 4: by Valkyrie (new)

Valkyrie Cain | 18 comments Has anyone of you ever come across a book where two pages are stuck together,and need to be cut with a scissor, I swear those books frustrate me so much.

message 5: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (waterspout) | 370 comments Oh man, I feel you Valkyrie! There are also times when the book page would be folded in such a way that you'd think nothing was wrong with it when in fact, it was folded!

message 6: by George (new)

George Lightgood | 21 comments The ones where the spines are so broken that the book fans open and curls back on itself. Bleahh! :(

message 7: by Brittney (new)

Brittney Porterfield | 4 comments I hate when the pages become wet. I try so hard not to spill anything on them. Also, I always have a book with me so, when rains I go out of my way to make sure it doesn't get wet. Also, I hate when the spine of a paperback is broken.

message 8: by Brittney (new)

Brittney Porterfield | 4 comments I hate when the pages become wet. I try so hard not to spill anything on them. Also, I always have a book with me so, when rains I go out of my way to make sure it doesn't get wet. Also, I hate when the spine of a paperback is broken.

message 9: by Amphitrite (new)

Amphitrite (ravenclaweruditedemigodselected) | 108 comments Yeah I feel like slapping characters in a book and sometimes people don't like my favorite characters like Jeanine Matthews. I have also given up on lending people books because I am afraid they will come back ruined. Crying about a sad part in the book in public is also embarrassing but I think my biggest pet peeve is teachers who tell you to stop reading while they are teaching;)

message 10: by Colleen (last edited Nov 28, 2014 10:10AM) (new)

Colleen | 6 comments Personally It doesn't bother me to much if the covers don't match. What bothers me is when books are different heights or when I have series where half is hardback and half is paperback.

message 11: by Dani (new)

Dani  (yogidani) Colleen wrote: "Personally It doesn't bother me to much if the covers don't match. What bothers me is when books are different heights or when I have series where half is hardback and half is paperback."

I'm so with you! I first began my Harry Potter collection in paperback for the first 3 books (they were a gift), and after that, I bought the hardbacks for the rest of the series because I knew it was something I'd want to last for a long time. So then I had to go and buy the hardback copies of 1-3 and gave my paperbacks to a friend to start her collection.

message 12: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (last edited Nov 30, 2014 09:33PM) (new)

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 3376 comments Mod
I hate creases on spines. I read mine so carefully to make sure it doesn't happen. Then my mom borrows them and destroys them! LOL I need to get her a kindle because she ruins books. I also hate stickers on the covers. That happened with my Clockwork Princess book. There was a big ole sticker on it about the Mortal Instruments movie and it was hard to get off. I hate when the covers in a series don't match. I like to have all paperbacks or all hardcovers and have the covers match.

message 13: by Victoria Grace (new)

Victoria Grace (torrritm) | 2 comments Going off the hardcover paperback comment, I have the Bloodlines series by Rachel Mead and all of them are hard cover except the second book in the series. It drives me mad.

I hate when I'm reading a book and the author adds in extra actions or long winded scenes in the book that don't develop the story. It makes me feel like they were concerned with the length of the book rather than the content.

One time I lent out This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen and my friend's dog ate the cover. I hate any and all imperfections on a book, so my friend went out and bought me a brand new book because she was scared of my reaction.

message 14: by Amphitrite (new)

Amphitrite (ravenclaweruditedemigodselected) | 108 comments I did the same thing with the Percy Jackson series Dani! :P I still kept the extra paperback copies though so I never have to ruin the beauty of the new hard copies

message 15: by Harlee (new)

Harlee Stickers on the back don't bother me but a stubborn sticker on the front is the bane of my existence. I also really don't like real people on covers. It doesn't give me a chance to formulate my own image of the characters. One more thing, I don't like if I have a series and the covers don't all match but I have made an exception.

message 16: by BookTallie (new)

BookTallie | 1 comments why can't all the book covers in each series match each other? ugh...

message 17: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (waterspout) | 370 comments I agree with all your sentiments v_v