Brantford Public Library's Online Book Club discussion

Book Suggestions > LEST WE FORGET

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brantford (last edited Nov 04, 2014 06:24AM) (new)

Brantford Public Library | 453 comments Mod
November is the perfect month to consider the impact of war and there is no shortage of high quality fiction that uses war as the backdrop for the story.

Reading fiction set in war time can be both an educational and emotional experience. It can take us to the trenches and the battlefields and give us a glimpse of the human anguish war causes as well as an appreciation for the young men & women who fought in these wars. Fiction can also teach you far more about history than you ever picked up in your Grade 9 history class and in a far more interesting presentation.

During the month of November, take some time to read a book set during war time. You will be enriched by the experience.

Below is a list of some suggested titles that encompass different time periods and different conflicts.

Three Day Road Losing Julia The Cellist of Sarajevo

The Killer Angels Matterhorn The Things They Carried

A Constellation of Vital Phenomena Under the Eagle (Eagle, #1) The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Religion (Tannhauser Trilogy, #1) Cold Mountain The Yellow Birds

The Invisible Bridge The Daughters of Mars The Final Storm (World War II: 1939-1945, #4)

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments I've read The Invisible Bridge and I highly recommend it. It's a big beautiful tragic love story. The type of book that stays with you awhile after you have read it.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura | 92 comments I read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

message 4: by Karen (last edited Nov 09, 2014 09:57AM) (new)

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments Losing Julia's was published in 2001; thirteen years later the characters and tragic events still haunt me. I consider this book one of my top ten life-time reads.And everyone should read Cold Mountain.

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments It's time I picked up "Potato Pie".

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna (iudita) | 450 comments Karen wrote: "Losing Julia's was published in 2001; thirteen years later the characters and tragic events still haunt me. I consider this book one of my top ten life-time reads.And everyone should read Cold Moun..."

I also loved Losing Julia. Just a beautiful story.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen1278) | 428 comments Excellent list.