On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

The Kestrel Waters: A Tale of Love and Devil
This topic is about The Kestrel Waters
Group Reads: Post-1980 > The Kestrel Waters, by Randy Thornhorn: Initial Impressions, November 2014

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
Begin discussion of The Kestrel Waters: A Tale of Love and Devil by Randy Thornhorn. No spoilers please, unless you hide them with the appropriate html code.

message 2: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura | 1947 comments Mod
I am not very far into the book, approximately 20%, so still establishing some background into the characters. I liked this quote, "Kes kept thinking about Bettilia Whissler. Kes did not know why. He did not appreciate her personality and he decided she was not even sufficiently cute. She was cute all right, but not that cute." Uh-oh, can't wait to read more.

message 3: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura wrote: "I am not very far into the book, approximately 20%, so still establishing some background into the characters. I liked this quote, "Kes kept thinking about Bettilia Whissler. Kes did not know why..."

This book takes off like a runaway train on a downhill grade. Darn his hide. Thornhorn kept me up till three o'clock in the morning one night. Just wait. Bet it happens to you, too. *grin*

message 4: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike
I sure hope so!!!!!

message 5: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

43% in and I'm afraid my hearts going to be broken by the end of this book. I love these characters!! Maybe I'm thinking the worst. Loved the Miss Plum scene at the jail.

Larry Bassett | 0 comments I eagerly await the commentary here that will help me understand why so many people love, love, love this book when I just didn't get it and quit a third of the way through. Boo-hoo! I feel so left out!

message 7: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

So far, I feel like this book has been easier to follow than Wicked Temper. So far just good story telling with some very likeable characters. I loved Wicked Temper but I went away with questions but that was ok with me bc still a good read. Just my opinion.

Peggy T | 2 comments Why don't you go ahead and finish it, Larry? Just curious.

message 9: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Larry wrote: "I eagerly await the commentary here that will help me understand why so many people love, love, love this book when I just didn't get it and quit a third of the way through. Boo-hoo! I feel so left..."

My friend, you're choosing to leave yourself out. Yes, yes. I know, so many books, so little time.

message 10: by Larry (new) - rated it 1 star

Larry Bassett | 0 comments Peggy, I voted with the group to put this book on the agenda this month with the hopes that there would be some spirited discussion that would make me want to continue to plug away. There are three books to read in this group this month. This one is waiting for me on my Kindle hoping that I will be encouraged to get back to it! So, in some sense, I have left the fate of this book in the hands of all of you out there! The jury is out, Mike.

Peggy T | 2 comments Larry wrote: "Peggy, I voted with the group to put this book on the agenda this month with the hopes that there would be some spirited discussion that would make me want to continue to plug away. There are three..."

Fair enough!

message 12: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm not done with this book but there are some really funny parts in this book when the whole family is together and just conversing with each other. They may be dysfunctional but they sure do entertain.

LeAnne: GeezerMom | 1310 comments Thst first chapter on the train made me uncomfortable and mildly dreading going any farther..but BAM. Kudzu Man! At 23% and i dont want to stop ;)

message 14: by Meran (new) - added it

Meran | 126 comments I'm very bored with the book, to be honest. I've been reading others just to get me thru..

message 15: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

The first chapter was the hardest but after that I too was hooked.

message 16: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meran wrote: "I'm very bored with the book, to be honest. I've been reading others just to get me thru.."

Meran, how far are you into the book?

message 17: by Meran (new) - added it

Meran | 126 comments Pg 70, end of Verse 5.

LeAnne: GeezerMom | 1310 comments Meran, keep going!
And I do think it's cute that Randy did verses instead of chapters. Bible or song or both? Im on Verse 16...Thanksgiving.

The things that Kes "sees" and the history of mental illness in the family, just briefly touched on, intrigue me. Cannot wait for my daily 4pm happy hour of reading! Enjoying this very much.

message 19: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 5 stars

I loved the Thanksgiving part.

message 20: by Meran (new) - added it

Meran | 126 comments I'm slogging through it... Decided to read Athens Miniaturist first (not regretting THAT book ;) )

message 21: by Larry (new) - rated it 1 star

Larry Bassett | 0 comments LEGAL NOTICE: I have put this book back on my Currently Reading list.

If you can put this book on your group reading list for this month, I can try it again! May resort to Insanity Defense if it comes to that.

message 22: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Larry wrote: "LEGAL NOTICE: I have put this book back on my Currently Reading list.

If you can put this book on your group reading list for this month, I can try it again! May resort to Insanity Defense if it ..."

What do you mean "you," Lone Ranger? You said you voted for this novel. *ahem* Dang, Larry. When you were a kid did you ever go see Peter Pan? If so, when Tinkerbelle was poisoned, did you clap because you believed in fairies? Or not? Chill, man. :)