UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Patti needs help!

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Yeah, yeah. quiet at the back there.

This is a serious question.

I've found a copy of Anne McCaffery's Dragonflight and I really want to give it to one of my ten year olds but I'm not sure if I should. Has anyone read it recently?
I don't have the time to re-read it to make sure it's suitable.

message 2: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Sorry, not read it, Patti.

message 3: by Gingerlily - The Full Wild (last edited Nov 04, 2014 03:49AM) (new)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I've read it many times but not recently. I think it would be ok from my memories but couldnt be 100% sure.

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9111 comments Exactly what I was going to say GL1

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments GL1?? How many of me are there?

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9111 comments oops sorry no3!

message 7: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 2914 comments It must be 40 years since I read this so my memories of it are hazy, to say the least. I do remember being baffled by the book's popularity and disturbed by some of the content - such as the abusive treatment meted out by the main male character to the main female (the book is full of strange names)and the idea that dragons of certain colours couldn't be allowed to breed as they would produce inferior offspring.
I've only remembered that because from time to time my memory was refreshed by finding that yet another book in the series had been published - over 20 maybe. I can only think that the books must have got better.

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1791 comments I read it about a year ago for the first time.

A ten year old? Um.

It depends how "advanced" the 10 year old is, really. Much of the book is obsessed with dragon mating. And when the dragons mate, so do their human partners... somewhat forcibly. I was left with the feeling that it was all a bit rapey, to be honest.

It's one of those YMMV things, but I found myself thinking 'well, it was all written a long time ago...' quite a lot, and probably wouldn't encourage any kid of mine to read it at all.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Yeah, I thought there was quite a lot of sex in it.

Good thing I asked!

I gotta find some Patricia Wrede for her.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Oh and where are my manners???

Thanks, lovelies!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Its all coming back to me... yeah, definitely not for a 10 year old.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Coming back to me too!

message 13: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments I know I read some Anne McCaffery dragon books way back when I was thinner, but I don't remember which ones, or much about them.

message 14: by Pat () (new)

Pat ()  | 29 comments I've read them all and loved them.
What does that say about me?
I was adult when I did though. I did not feel the sex side jumped out at you. The ones where her son co-wrote is a different kettle of fish all together. 3 in a bed etc.

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22034 comments Is that why Patti needs help?

message 16: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 2914 comments Pat (Scorpio) wrote: "I've read them all and loved them.
"

Not sure - but are you free tonight?

message 17: by Pat () (new)

Pat ()  | 29 comments B J wrote: "Pat (Scorpio) wrote: "I've read them all and loved them.
"

Not sure - but are you free tonight?"

Not sure, but I could be!