Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ECH (new)

ECH (_ech) The Siege has made it clear to me that I'd rather be reading about Queen Zenobia. Can anyone recommend anything (fiction or otherwise) with her in a more involved role?

message 2: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Darn. I have one in my head. Author is a woman. May or may not be love story heavy. Not sure because I have never read any of her books.

Think. Think.

I'll have to have a look around GR as I can't remember the author's name. That's frustrating.

message 3: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Found it.
Zenobia Zenobia (Warrior Queen, #4) by Haley Elizabeth Garwood

It is a book in a series called Warrior Queens, by Haley Elizabeth Garwood

message 4: by C.P. (last edited Nov 05, 2014 04:40PM) (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 564 comments There is also this one, although I haven't read it: The Rise of Zenobia.

message 5: by ECH (new)

ECH (_ech) ooh those look neat!

message 6: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 55 comments C.P. wrote: "There is also this one, although I haven't read it: The Rise of Zenobia."

I read The Rise of Zenobia. It didn't deal with the part of Zenobia's life that interests me and the central character wasn't Zenobia. So it didn't meet my expectations.

message 7: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Interesting. You'd think they'd feature her heavily with a book title like that.

message 8: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 564 comments You would indeed! Guess that's a nonstarter, then.

message 9: by Jane (last edited Nov 06, 2014 08:18PM) (new)

Jane | 3456 comments I think the title's perfectly valid; my understanding is that it is v.1 of a trilogy on Zenobia. I'm guessing v.2 & 3 will treat of the "warrior Queen" aspect. The trilogy is called Overlord.

I read this years ago from our public library: a nonfiction-- Zenobia of Palmyra: History, Myth and the Neo-Classical Imagination

message 10: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Iciek | 543 comments I read a novel about Zenobia about 30 years ago. Decent historical fiction (at least based on what little I knew at the time), but more of a romance than anything else. Cannot recall the name of it now, though.

message 11: by Shomeret (last edited Nov 07, 2014 08:10AM) (new)

Shomeret | 55 comments Jane wrote: "I think the title's perfectly valid; my understanding is that it is v.1 of a trilogy on Zenobia. I'm guessing v.2 & 3 will treat of the "warrior Queen" aspect. The trilogy is called Overlord.

I ..."

I've looked at the description of volume 2 The Fate of an Emperor which needs to have Overlord #2 in its title, and my guess is that Zenobia doesn't revolt against the Romans until volume 3.

message 12: by Jane (new)

Jane | 3456 comments Shomeret wrote: "Jane wrote: "I think the title's perfectly valid; my understanding is that it is v.1 of a trilogy on Zenobia. I'm guessing v.2 & 3 will treat of the "warrior Queen" aspect. The trilogy is called ..."

Could be, could be. Probably the main event is her husband's death which paves the way for her to rule.

Just a guess...

message 13: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 55 comments Libbie Hawker wrote: "Zenobes! Love her. I read The Rise of Zenobia and really enjoyed it. It appears to be a setup for a future book or two that covers the rest of her reign (and Zabdas's campaigns.) I ..."

I will also be looking for your book. Let us know when it actually has a title and bibliographic info for a Goodreads book page so that I can add it to my To Read shelf.

message 14: by Nick (new)

Nick Brown Absolutely. I used her as a distant and unseen antagonist in my first book and one editor complained that she needed to be centre stage! The comparisons some historians have made with Cleopatra and Boudicca et. al are certainly sound; at least there has been quite a few historical texts recently. I found Pat Southern's probably the most useful.

message 15: by Jane (new)

Jane | 3456 comments Nick wrote: "Absolutely. I used her as a distant and unseen antagonist in my first book and one editor complained that she needed to be centre stage! The comparisons some historians have made with Cleopatra and..."

Of course I could tell she was the "distant and unseen antagonist" in Book I, but I like it you made it Cassius's story.

message 16: by Nick (new)

Nick Brown Me too, Jane!But it looks like other authors have not been slow to see the incredible potential. Part of the draw is that this period is so opaque.

message 17: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) I loved Pat Southern's book! Very useful.