Contemporary YA discussion

We Were Liars
This topic is about We Were Liars
Group Reads > We Were Liars

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (last edited Nov 03, 2014 07:58PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andrea | 1054 comments Mod
One of our group read books for Nov.
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.

MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD! THIS BOOK ENDS WITH A TWIST THAT WILL BE DISCUSSED BUT SHOULD NOT BE READ ABOUT UNTIL YOU FINISH THE BOOK!

SPOILERS!

This is one of those book where you can't listen to what anybody has to say about it until you've finished reading it. Do not even be tempted to look at spoilers it will ruin the book.

Midnight Anderson | 14 comments I don't know how I feel about this book. The writing style annoyed the hell out of me. It took me out of the narrative

It was a little confusing for me. I listened to it and it sometimes was hard to remember the time frame and flashbacks. When I finished I couldn't rate it. Mainly because of what happened I was not happy. I almost didn't finish it.

I was ok with the Once Upon A Time stories to describe how her grandfather dominates his three daughters or the racism that Gat encounters because as a broken girl that was how she dealt when the power her grandfather had over the family and her world.

As far as the supernatural aspect I thought the author left that up to interpretation- was it ghosts or hallucinations?? Because of her psychological state I took them as hallucinations.

Overall I had a like, hate relationship with the book.

Midnight, After all of your trouble I'm so sorry I accidently deleted your post. I wanted to delete mine because I forgot to uncheck the add to my update feeds. Sorry I will try to add them back for you.

From Midnight (I accidently deleted the post)

ugh facepalm* I wrote my entire message and realized it didn't send.

I read the book and was confused nearly the entire time. The names and the topics weaved in and out so close I had no idea what was going on for a good portion of the book. I honestly wouldn't have finished it had it not been so popular.

Did you like the Once Upon A Time stories? I didn't. I felt like they were written in the same tone as the entire book and felt way more sophisticated for a minor. My friend told me that at least one of the stories was not made up and was an existing story. ugh*

The ending felt like a cop-out. Personally, I didn't feel like there was enough foreshadowing or exploring the supernatural to just conclude the story as supernatural.

The writing
style
was also
so very
horrid
for being
chopped
and screwed
unnecessarily.

Midnight Anderson | 14 comments aww I feel bad that you feel bad.
My intention was to further the discussion. You reposted everything and sent your own response. All is well. LOL

My final rating was 2/5 I couldn't bring it all the way down to a 1 but I couldn't bring it higher due to my little enjoyment in it and how annoying it was. Womp Womp. -_______-

Midnight Anderson | 14 comments Also, may I suggest the book Shift? Shift

It's also a contemporary YA novel written by an australian author.
I gave it a 5 out of 5 even though I didn't enjoy the ending as much of the rest of the book. This book deals with a similar theme and explores the issue of mental health a troubled teen a bit better.

If you can get your hands on it I'd definitely say to check it out and see what you think.

Sidenote: is there not much participation in the discussions or did everyone just give up/not finish the book yet?

message 10: by Lena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena | 299 comments Mod
I am dying to read this but haven't gotten to the library yet! Must get it this week.

Midnight, the group has been a little inactive lately.

Lena, Read it. And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE lol. U really had mixed emotions on this one. I posted earlier I couldn't even rate it when I finished. I had to take some time, settle down and think about it.

message 12: by Lena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena | 299 comments Mod
Did you end up liking it?

I did. I really liked the story and the way it was told, until the big reveal...then it made me mad. I had to let the reveal marinate for a few weeks before I could finish and the rate the book.

2014 Goodreads Choice Awards- Best Young Adult Fiction of 2014- is: We Were Liars by E. Lockhart.

message 15: by Lena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena | 299 comments Mod
I'm *still* waiting for the audio book from my library. It's been on hold for a while!

Midnight Anderson | 14 comments Andrea wrote: "Midnight, the group has been a little inactive lately.

Lena, Read it. And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE lol. U really had mixed emotions on this one. I posted earlier I couldn't even r..."

I feel terrible because soon after I went MIA too x____X womp womp.

Midnight Anderson | 14 comments Lena wrote: "I'm *still* waiting for the audio book from my library. It's been on hold for a while!"

once you get the book on your hands let us know what you thought. I was thoroughly disappointed - it's not a book up my alley but many people thought it was amazing.

message 18: by Lena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena | 299 comments Mod
Oh, no. I loved "The Disreputable History" by this author, so I was hoping I'd love this one. Now I'm nervous...

message 19: by Lena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena | 299 comments Mod
I finally got it! Came in at the library on audiobook yesterday. Can't wait to get started!

message 20: by Lena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena | 299 comments Mod
So I don't know if it's written oddly, because I have the audiobook. So far, so good. I've finished 1/7 of it. At first, where she first goes into one of her weird hallucinations/exaggerations, I literally screamed "WTF!" at my car radio when she says her dad pulled out a handgun and shot her! I was so completely shocked I had to rewind to make sure I hadn't missed something. But then I realized it was just in her head, and the next time something like that happened, I just went with it, lol...

I'm totally okay with the flashbacks and the time skipping as I do that a lot in my own books so I'm right at home in this one. But someone please tell me at some point she explains WHY they are called the liars? She starts to tell in the beginning and then just goes on a tangent about meeting Gat.

The big reveal comes closer to the end.

message 22: by Lena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena | 299 comments Mod
As long as it's explained at some point....

message 23: by Lena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena | 299 comments Mod
About halfway through now. And I have to say, I'm a little disappointed. This got Goodreads YA book of the year, didn't it? So far, I'm just not completely absorbed like I thought I would be. It's somewhat less thrilling than the 'thriller' label on the cover advertises...

Yea, I was surprised when I read that it was labeled as a thriller. I certainly didn't think it was a thriller..the only suspense for me was that I knew it had a twist and I was waiting for it.

message 25: by Lena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena | 299 comments Mod
That's what I'm thinking, too

message 26: by Lena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena | 299 comments Mod
I finished! Well. I can't say I either loved or hated it. I didn't guess the big twist, but it just wasn't terribly shocking to me, either. It kind of made sense. So I'm left with a kind of 'eh' feeling about this one. Too bad, bc I loved Frankie Landau Banks. Going to give her another try for sure.

Midnight Anderson | 14 comments ^ I'm glad I wasn't the only one that was less than thrilled with this book. A lot of people make it seem like a stroke of genius but I guess it just didn't connect with me in the same way it did for others.

@lena what did you think of the choppy writing? did you get the audiobook or physical copy

message 28: by Lena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena | 299 comments Mod
Midnight wrote: "^ I'm glad I wasn't the only one that was less than thrilled with this book. A lot of people make it seem like a stroke of genius but I guess it just didn't connect with me in the same way it did ..."

I listened to the audiobook, and it wasn't read in a choppy way. So I didn't notice, though a couple people in this thread have mentioned this.

The first time she went into one of her fantasies, and said her dad took out a pistol and shot her, I was like WTH just happened? I replayed that part to see if I'd misheard it, but once I kept going, I realized she was being dramatic. But otherwise, I didn't notice anything weird about the writing style.

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) I didn't really love this one. I liked it in a way the writing style is decent but the mystery? No. It's absolutely predictable.

Plus too many metaphors.

message 30: by Lena (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lena | 299 comments Mod
Yeah, it was kind of overkill on that. Not quite as much so as John Green, but definitely a lot in there.

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) It's still decent somehow, though John Green's metaphors are better. I don't know, this book isn't my cup of tea. The only character that I like in this book is Gat.

The rest.. well they suck.

Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~ (thebooknerddiariesblog) I ended up DNF'ing this book. I don't see what the hype was about because it bored me so much. I ended up asking a friend how it ended because I just couldn't stand it anymore.

Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~ (thebooknerddiariesblog) I ended up DNF'ing this book. I don't see what the hype was about because it bored me so much. I ended up asking a friend how it ended because I just couldn't stand it anymore.

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) The BookNerd Diaries Blog wrote: "I ended up DNF'ing this book. I don't see what the hype was about because it bored me so much. I ended up asking a friend how it ended because I just couldn't stand it anymore."

I almost put it on DNF too but, i don't know how I manage to finish this. It's a pain in the head.

Cindy Brown (beautygoodbook) | 12 comments What a dark book. Didn't see that ending coming at all.