Writers of Color Book Club discussion

Norwegian Wood
This topic is about Norwegian Wood
Book Discussions > Norwegian Wood Discussion Chps 7-9

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adira (new) - added it

Adira (introvertinterrupted) | 391 comments Mod
Here we will be discussing chapters seven through nine of Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. Please be mindful of using the (view spoiler) tab.

Louise (atrixa) Hmm. Are there any women who can actually take care of themselves in this novel? They all seem like basket-cases so far.

Amber Louise wrote: "Hmm. Are there any women who can actually take care of themselves in this novel? They all seem like basket-cases so far."

I didn't think of it this way, but maybe you are right. Midori does better than the rest of them, but she is really a strange bird and emotionally unstable as well.

Louise (atrixa) I'm really not loving the way women are portrayed in this novel. Would Midori fit into the Manic Pixe Dream Girl trope?

Lynecia (luvnecia) I think Midori is definitely a "Manic Pixie Dream Girl", but Toru doesn't seem that taken in by her. In fact, Toru's character is pretty flat, in my opinion.

Louise (atrixa) Yes, I didn't feel that Toru's character was particularly well developed either in his backstory or through his experiences during the time in the novel.

Aimée (aimee_geewhiz) | 5 comments Louise wrote: "Hmm. Are there any women who can actually take care of themselves in this novel? They all seem like basket-cases so far."

There doesn't seem to be any men who can take care of themselves either, at this point. :-P

Aimée (aimee_geewhiz) | 5 comments Midori does have a touch of the manic-pixiness going on, but she's actually her own real character. She takes care of her father as he grows weak. Her rant against her pretentious school group is brilliant and astute. And she's exploring her sexuality, which is quite refreshing, especially for a female character in a male protagonist's coming of age story. I'm actually starting to like her more and more.