The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories The Opposite of Loneliness discussion

Passion Purpose and Inspiration

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annabel (new)

Annabel Smith Marina Keegan, a 2008 graduate of my high school, was a talented writer, political activist, actress and change maker. When The Opposite of Loneliness, a collection of her essays, was published, my school held an assembly to commemorate and celebrate her and her book of writings. In one of her essays, she writes, “We don’t have a word for the opposite of loneliness, but if we did, I’d say that’s how I feel at Yale. How I feel right now. Here. With all of you. In love, impressed, humbled, scared. And we don’t have to lose all that. We’re in this together, 2012. Let’s make something happen in this world.” Marina’s essays speak to me personally because of her hope for the future, her faith in humanity, and her passion to change the world.
Writing with authenticity and truth, Marina inspires me to savor everyday moments and to pursue my own passions. Like Marina, I strive to focus not on our differences as human beings, but rather our similarities.
I too believe that we all have the capacity to better our world. A great deal of novels speak to me personally, but The Opposite of Loneliness speaks to me more than any other. Marina is a role model for me in my life.

Jenny Houle I was afraid that my opinion of the book was affected by knowing how she had passed, and knowing that collection was published postmortem.

I think it's beautiful that your school celebrated her life when the book was published.