Writers of Color Book Club discussion

Book Discussions > Norwegian Wood Discussion Chps 5-6

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adira (new)

Adira (introvertinterrupted) | 391 comments Mod
Here we will be discussing chapters five and six of Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. Please be mindful of using the (view spoiler) tab.

message 2: by Louise (new)

Louise (atrixa) This section was interesting. I loved Reiko's character and Naoko is becoming more fleshed out. People have been mentioning issues with the translation in the earlier thread and I'm starting to notice it more now. The sex scenes sound particularly odd to me, and I've heard that Murakami's famous for writing really awkward sex scenes- is that in reference to this section or does it get worse?

message 3: by Lynecia (new)

Lynecia (luvnecia) I think in this section, you'r right, the translation is abysmal. I hope it doesn't get worse!

Also, Midori is introduced and then she disappears.

message 4: by Amber (new)

Amber The sex scenes were very odd to me too. They talk about it with nonchalance, so strange. I love the book and I feel like it these scenes detracted from the really good writing. I am not a prude either, I just thought the eroticism was weird.

message 5: by Lynecia (new)

Lynecia (luvnecia) I just finished the section. I was on the subway making these crazy faces and chuckling at the sex scenes. Lol! (view spoiler)

message 6: by Amber (new)

Amber Lynecia wrote: "I just finished the section. I was on the subway making these crazy faces and chuckling at the sex scenes. Lol! [spoilers removed]"

I thought Reiko's story was pretty far fetched. I also thought that the Ami Hostel part dragged on too long. I much preferred the book when Toru was at college.

message 7: by Maria (new)

Maria Nilsson (marianilsson) | 17 comments I was definitely uncomfortable reading Reiko's telling (view spoiler). Actually something with Reiko seems off to me. I think she shows obvious signs of needing to control people and inserting herself where she doesn't belong. I just have this feeling she might not be the best influence to Naoko.

message 8: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (pleoniesmith) I actually had to slow down my reading of this book. I found that reading it sparked so many questions about what was motivating the characters and also Murakami.

Reiko does care for Naoko in a way I find touching. She is arrogant, but that may come from her being so familiar with how things are run at the sanitarium and she how sure she is in her understanding of her mental illness.

I'm finding that Murakami likes to create women who are very open and available for men who are difficult to reach. They are the right tonic to help the male character's grow as human beings. I hope that as I read more of his work that this convention evolves, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Reiko's story about her student just has so many layers that even though the way she talks about this experience is cringe worthy, her idea that this student was almost like a kind of psychopath seems plausible. It was very unsettling to read.

message 9: by Lynecia (new)

Lynecia (luvnecia) P. Leonie wrote: "I actually had to slow down my reading of this book. I found that reading it sparked so many questions about what was motivating the characters and also Murakami.

Reiko does care for Naoko in a w..."

This is my first Murakami so that's an observation of his work that I find pretty interesting. In this work, I think it's pretty evident.

On the whole, I just find Reiko strange. I don't know how else to put it. Murakami's investing so much time in developing this character, I feel like it has to lead somewhere. I hope my lingering questions about her at least get resolved. I really hope that they all won't be chalked up to the fact that she's "crazy."

message 10: by Aimée (new)

Aimée (aimee_geewhiz) | 5 comments Chapter 6 is so full of questions for me! Can we believe anything we're being told about the hospital? It seems to suck the life out of its patients (the scenes in the dining hall, especially) but they seem to be ok with that. Is that the price for quelling inner demons?

message 11: by Lynecia (new)

Lynecia (luvnecia) Aimée wrote: "Chapter 6 is so full of questions for me! Can we believe anything we're being told about the hospital? It seems to suck the life out of its patients (the scenes in the dining hall, especially) but ..."

Interesting!

The hospital didn't come off at all problematic to me.

message 12: by Marion (new)

Marion (mariongnd) It took me a very long time to get through these couple chapters. I found that I really didn't care about Reiko (I have a bad feeling about her), and even Naoko's character isn't that much more developed. That's a lot of pages to not say a lot of things.

I'm also starting to notice more the strange translation, but as I said in the previous thread, English is not my first language (and I read the English translation), so I don't often notice that kind of thing.