Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Downpour Audiobook rentals

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pjaye) | 447 comments Have you seen this?
http://www.downpour.com/rentals

Downpour now give you book rentals. prices look reasonable, $3.95-$6.95.
I just got a promotional offer to try my first rental book free and it's downloading right now.
You have to download their app, and then the rentals download into that and you have 30 days to listen to the book.

Even though I have an account with them, I've never used their app, so this should be interesting. I know the app has had a horrible reputation in the past, but surely if they are going to do this, then making the app work properly will be a priority.

If it works well, this will be something I will potentially use quite a bit. I'm not a 're-reader' of books and once I'm finished with it I rarely pick up the same book again.
I think the prices are reasonable.

So who else will give this a try?
I'll report back when I've listened to my first book (have 2 hours to go on my current one)

message 2: by Monica (new)

Monica (monicasofia) | 4 comments Patricia wrote: "Have you seen this?
http://www.downpour.com/rentals

Downpour now give you book rentals. prices look reasonable, $3.95-$6.95.
I just got a promotional offer to try my first rental book free and it'..."

I'm doing it now! It's hard to choose, I'm still looking for a good book I'll read between these 30 days! I have 2 audible ones currently listening so ...Let's see if their app is any good or better now!

message 3: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments I will be curious to hear a report on whether they have fixed the app and what you think of the rental experience.

message 4: by Monica (new)

Monica (monicasofia) | 4 comments I've rented Necronomicon by H.P. Lovecraft by H. P. Lovecraft

I've download it to my tablet and I have 45 days to listen to it. The first track is pretty good but I have a lot of narrators to go through.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments sounds interesting

message 6: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pjaye) | 447 comments I'm about half way through my first rental book.
The app has been a bit hit or miss for me. It's crashed a couple of times, which wasn't a big deal (saved where I was).
However it was truly awful when I tried playing it through my bluetooth speakers (other audiobooks play perfectly through other apps).
It just stopped all the time and made listening impossible. But the next day on the way to and from work (about two hours in total) I didn't have a single problem.

It also seems to suck the life out of my battery. When I checked my battery usage, it said the Downpour app had used 40% of my battery over 5 hours (and the book only played for about an hour of that time).
I'd recommend making sure the app is fully shut down when you aren't listening.

So I think they still have some work to do on the app overall.

The pros are that it has variable speeds (just for you Kristie) and you can keep books on your SD card. I like the various filters for the library (you can just select rental books).
The main negatives are the problems with playing through Bluetooth and the battery use.

message 7: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Patricia wrote: "I'm about half way through my first rental book.
The app has been a bit hit or miss for me. It's crashed a couple of times, which wasn't a big deal (saved where I was).
However it was truly awful ..."

Thanks for the update! Since I currently have a year's worth of books in my possession, I'll probably monitor the status of their app for awhile and consider renting possibilities in the future. (And yay for adjusting playback speed!)

message 8: by tubemonkey (new)

tubemonkey | 94 comments Before renting, don't forget to check your public library for availability.

message 9: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 316 comments I often give thanks for our public libraries, especially now when family needs have cut out discretionary spending.