What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Original Fairy Tale Endings

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited Nov 04, 2014 03:22AM) (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments I'm looking for specific editions of fairy tales with the original endings.

Grimm
Giambattista Basile
folk tales etc

message 4: by Melanti (last edited Nov 03, 2014 06:22PM) (new)

Melanti | 333 comments Are you looking for recs on specific translators and editions?

I like this translation of Grimms: The Complete Fairy Tales

This one for the French salon tales including Perrault: Beauties, Beasts and Enchantments: Classic French Fairy Tales (Try to get the hardback or full-sized paperback versions, if possible, since the mass market paperbackdoesn't have the original Villinueve version of Beauty & the Beast- only the later abridged version by de Beaumont which is quite different.

I just read a generic random translation of Hans Christian Andersen, so I can't help much with him, but I've been told Tiina Nunnally's translations are good. I don't think translation matters quite as much on these tales though.

I'd recommend the Hussain Haddawy translations of Arabian Nights: The Arabian Nights and The Arabian Nights II: Sinbad and Other Popular Stories (Translation is EXTREMELY important with these stories! If you don't believe me, check out my review! I have a couple of passages in multiple translations at the bottom.)

I can't help you too much with Giambattista Basile... I have Italian Folktales on my TBR, but since I haven't read it yet, I don't know how much of Basile's work it includes nor can I say how good the translation is.

For an all-purpose, worldwide collection, these two are both good: Favorite Folktales from Around the World and Folktales Told Around the World

Fairy tales & Folktales in general is quite a broad topic... Is there a specific author or area of the world that you're particularly interested in?

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments Yes, I'm looking for specific editions (edited my post to make it clear)

Your review of The Arabian Nights was very helpful, thanks.

I'm particularly interested in European and Asian folk tales but any other would do.

message 6: by Tim (new)

Tim (tjs_books) | 45 comments For Brothers Grimm, you should check out the various editions translated by Ralph Manheim. They are "unsanitized", featuring the tales as "rediscovered in the original German editions of the Grimms' works the unadorned, direct rhythm of the oral form in which they were first recorded."

message 7: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments Italian Folktales is excellent.

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 406 comments thanks