Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Book Discussion - Non BotM > New Harry Potter Read-Along

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M. (new)

M. The Book Journey has started a new Harry Potter read along and it seems quite fun if anyone is interested in joining in! I'm reppin' Ravenclaw.

message 2: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
Aww I would if my books weren't back in the UK :(

message 3: by M. (new)

M. Noooo! What about the local library?

message 4: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

It's weird, you have to PAY to join the library here... 30€ a year (I nearly wrote a book then...). You can read in the library for free, but to take books home you have to pay. And I'm sure they'd only have the Dutch copies anyway - that could be a challenge ;)

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 347 comments Rinn wrote: "It's weird, you have to PAY to join the library here... 30€ a year (I nearly wrote a book then...). You can read in the library for free, but to take books home you have to pay. And I'm sure they'd..."

So libraries in the UK are for free? I'm from Germany, and we have a yearly fee too (although it's much less, around 15€).

message 6: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Yep, you just need a membership card, which is free, and that's it :)

Is yours a national thing though, so you could use any library in the country? Here you join by county, so with my membership card I can only use libraries in my county. If I want to use libraries elsewhere, I'd have to register for each county separately.

message 7: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Its the sane in Ireland Rinn. Your tied to your County or council area fir cities. But they are centralising our library system at the moment so it wont be the casw for long. And we are also free

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 347 comments Rinn wrote: "Yep, you just need a membership card, which is free, and that's it :)

Is yours a national thing though, so you could use any library in the country? Here you join by county, so with my membership..."

I think it's by county. I could use every library that belongs to the city's library; they organize the libraries in the suburbs and villages around; so yes, I think so. But to be able to get books from everywhere in the country... *sigh* We have an online service for ebooks and audio though. It offers the same content to every library card owner in the same state.
...Sorry to 'pollute' the Harry Potter thread, but I think it's very interesting to see how other countries organize their libraries - also, I now have another reason to move to the UK :) But now I will stop and let you do your Potter reading (I'd join, but my time is very limited at the moment) - have fun!

message 9: by M. (new)

M. In The Bahamas we have to pay as well, tho very little selection makes it almost not worth it.