Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Liz H's September/October combo

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Busy few months, wild pup in training, new job, and baseball, football and hockey. I am finding the romances easier to read rather than the darker mysteries. Hope to get back to the dark side soon!

September
44. MORTAL ARTS by Anna Lee Huber 3/5 Another excellent mystery, good twists, but I did have this one figured out half way thru. My only complaint is that the romance of the 2 main characters hasn't progressed much further! Will continue this series as I do enjoy the characters and settings.
45. FESTIVE IN DEATH by J.D. Robb 4.5/5
A kinder, gentler installment. Eve, Roarke and the entire gang in for a party and to solve a murder. Good little twist....but. not great. I suspected early it wasn't the obvious, but couldn't pin down who it was. This series is such a comfort with such great character development over the years.
46. A GRAVE MATTER by Anna Lee Huber 4/5 Another great mystery, plus the romance moved along nicely in this book. Love the characters, setting and pace.
October
47. IT MUST BE YOUR LOVE by Bella Andre 3/5 I liked this one a little better than the last few. For some reason the romance was a little more realistic.
48. TOP SECRET TWENTY-ONE by Janet Evanovich 3/5 Same old, same old...entertaining, but still no advancement in story lines. Every time I read the latest book, I swear I will not read another, and yet I do. I refuse to pay for them anymore though, and always get them from the library. So, again, I will not read the next one as they just seem to be a waste of time :(
49. THE WAY YOU LOOK TONIGHT by Bella Andre I liked the new round of Sullivan's...just good easy romance reading!
50. IT'S IN HIS KISS by Jill Shalvis 5/5 For some reason, this one I really liked. Un-put-down-able for me. Loved the 2 mc's!!

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments I continue to read the Plum books because they make me laugh. I don't expect anything else from them, so for me, that's enough!

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments Funny how a certain genre will fit your mood and another just doesn't cut it.

message 4: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Daniel I am more amazed by that every year! 15 years ago I read about 95% mysteries, and 5% romance/chick lit. Since that it has pretty much flipped! Still love my old guard mystery writers, just not warming up to some of the new ones.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments Good lists Liz! It's an interesting thought to compare our fifteen years ago mix of genres to today's. Mine has shifted too, though I was reading more romance back then compared to now. Partly that stems from my increased audio book habit. I don't usually select romances for audio books. YA books have taken up the open slots most frequently.

message 6: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1379 comments I also have been reading more YA than I would ever have imagined and being more impressed with it than I would have thought also. My favorite books of the last two years were YA, and it seems likely to happen again in 2014.

Romance has been showing up on my reading lists in the form of Romantic Eco-Thrillers, a category that I would never have thought I'd read. But one of them is a big favorite of mine this year.

message 7: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Shom, which book? Sounds interesting!

message 8: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1379 comments It's Amazon Burningby Victoria Griffith. It takes place in Brazil. The heroine is an idealistic journalism student who comes to Brazil to help her professional journalist father investigate the death of a Brazilian activist. The hero is wonderful, but saying any more would be a spoiler. There's some very interesting stuff about the Yanomami, a Brazilian tribe. There's also suspense and danger in the Amazon rainforest. I reviewed it at http://wwwbookbabe.blogspot.com/2014/...

message 9: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Thanks so much!

message 10: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3588 comments Liz I always enjoy checking out your list each month because we both like romance books besides mysteries. I can agree I read romance alot faster then mystery books. And I'm finding this year I'm probably reading more romance than anything else. I find in the past years if I did one of the challenges they set up on my other board that I do read different types. I also found more books got off my bookcase that way. this year don't know what happened but no books on the challenges I did want to do got done. I tried to do a off the stack type of challenge and was looking forward to it. thinking I would finally get some of those older hcs off the shelf. but yet another that didn't happen. just like in the old days with our DT (determination reads) we used to do each year. Remember that days. I'm thinking I might give it a day in 2015 once again make it more doable only 10 books on the list. maybe we can set up a thread in the in a few weeks and see if anyone wants to give a off the stack/shelf challenge. we can pick books on our ereaders or real book cases that we want to read and that we've had for awhile.

message 11: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I think a DT thread for 2015 would be fantastic, a great way to challenge each other, maybe with a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 25? Moderators, feedback??

message 12: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3588 comments Liz I just emailed ann about the idea maybe we can come up with a idea for a challenge like that.

message 13: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Thanks!! I am excited!!

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14606 comments Liz and DonnaJo: that sounds like a good idea, I don't know how many I will manage to complete. the unofficial list I had this year didn't do so well. I could use some motivation other than really wanting to read them. :)

LizH wrote: "I think a DT thread for 2015 would be fantastic, a great way to challenge each other, maybe with a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 25? Moderators, feedback??"

message 15: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3588 comments Ann wrote: "Liz and DonnaJo: that sounds like a good idea, I don't know how many I will manage to complete. the unofficial list I had this year didn't do so well. I could use some motivation other than really ..."

we have to figure it out and set something up I want to catch on a few series and also get some of the old hcs off the bookcase. like liz says set it up for 10 books and if you finish that head for more if you want as a bonus. Would you believe I still have the old pile of DT books still on my rocking chair in the den. maybe it's time to either weed them out and read them. maybe put 2 on the list.

message 16: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments LizH wrote: "I think a DT thread for 2015 would be fantastic, a great way to challenge each other, maybe with a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 25? Moderators, feedback??"

I abandoned DT awhile ago, before GR I think, but I'd be interested in a thread that left me flexible to list as many or as few as I wanted. I got caught up on some great classics (A Tale of Two Cities) that way, and I probably wouldn't have read them otherwise.

message 17: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8053 comments I agree on Plum, although I do read each new one eventually, just don't race to get it when it comes out, and I've got to be in the mood.

I am slowly working my way through the In Death series, lots to go, but it is a more satisfying comfort read than the Plum series.

I read a bunch more romances in my earlier years, but have a few that I contnue with... Nora Roberts, Amanda Quick, Laurell K. Hamilton.

LizH wrote: "Busy few months, wild pup in training, new job, and baseball, football and hockey. I am finding the romances easier to read rather than the darker mysteries. Hope to get back to the dark side soon!..."

message 18: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments My determination list will be those books that I really want to read, but can't seem to get to because other books keep butting in :) I think several Stephen King books come to mind...

message 19: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3588 comments I would like to keep my books to real books and not books on the ereader but the certain series books that I'm thinking of might be only ebook copies. but maybe if that happens I might limit it to only 2 ebooks. I think the alex kava that I took home from the shore and started and never went back to might be another book. I'm going to try and not pick the same books I had on the list in the past years that I never even gave a try on.