Sci-Fi, fantasy and speculative Indie Authors Review discussion

Do you have an online bibliography?

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken (last edited Nov 03, 2014 03:51PM) (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) A lot of us sometimes google our own names, but for authors the result can be interesting when you add the word "bibliography." I got a couple of relevant websites when I did mine. This one needs a little updating: http://www.authorwars.com/authors/wri...

This one, while much better, is still missing some info: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?1...

What do they list for you?

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments My search gets me a bloke who used be the governor of Pennsylvania, and a Wiki disambiguation page full of people who aren't me.

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 1213 comments Mod
Other than my own Facebook and GR posts, I get this book: One Hot Mess
The main character has my name. One of these days, I'm going to have to read it.

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) My search was "Ken Doggett" bibleography

I haven't tried "Ken Doggett" jerk

I'm afraid I'll be at the top of a long list.

message 5: by Shari (new)

Shari Sakurai (shari_sakurai) | 27 comments I just get my website, facebook and Goodreads pages.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyles (gobbledygook) | 380 comments Christina wrote: "Other than my own Facebook and GR posts, I get this book: One Hot Mess
The main character has my name. One of these days, I'm going to have to read it."

That's really funny Christina!

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) It would help if I could spell "bibliography." Corrected!

message 8: by Richard (new)

Richard | 490 comments Mod
Christina wrote: "Other than my own Facebook and GR posts, I get this book:One Hot Mess The main character has my name. One of these days, I'm going to have to read it."

So, don't keep us in suspense - how true to life is it?

message 9: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) I like the titles of her books: "Unzipped," "Unscrewed," "Uncorked," "Unplugged," "Unmanned," "One Hot Mess"....all "Chrissy McMullen stories."

Judging from those titles, one day I'll have to read them, too.

message 10: by Dave (new)

Dave (dcr_writes) | 114 comments I happen to be blessed with an incredibly common name, so I don't come up anywhere on the first page. Of course, a quick search shows that there are over 7,000 people with my first and last name in US alone.

message 11: by Christina (new)

Richard wrote: "So, don't keep us in suspense - how true to life is it?"

The hot mess part? Let's just say one is a vwry low number.

I did notice that she changed the series name from Christina to Chrissy. I am no kind of Chrissy.

message 12: by Christina (new)

I had to Google my name and jerk. The good news is, I'm not a jerk. The bad news is, Christina McMullen is a terribly common name for people who post recipes for jerk chicken.

message 13: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 189 comments my booksie page comes up first then Facebook then Barnes and noble lolz. if I went by my standard name I find other stuff....

message 14: by Carl (new)

Carl Purcell There's a painter with my name and he has a book on painting, so there's often a good chance his work comes up before mine. With bibliography, I get his stuff.

message 15: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments I used to be 'Dick Penn' in my former life, switched to 'Richard' when I started writing, thinking that other word might lead to... expectations. So google doesn't know me well, yet.

message 16: by K. (last edited Nov 04, 2014 04:17PM) (new)

Caffee K. (kcaffee) | 461 comments Oh, this is wonderful. When I use my name + bibliography, I get entries for "Coffee", J.K. Rowling, and Laurell K. Hammilton. Go figure. We've had trouble with the "Caffee" for as long as I can remember. Dad used to fight the local paper over the spelling every time they did a piece on him for being accepted into the Who's Who books.

If I just use my name, without the bibliography, I get all kinds of pages for cafes. Maybe I should just change my pen name to "Pukah Works." At least THAT shows up reliably!

message 17: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 563 comments My first link is to my amazon author page. The rest are mostly my goodreads posts and a few odd other things.

message 18: by Ubiquitous (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 77 comments The first four links were either to one of my books or to my blog. That's pretty strange when you consider how common my name is.

message 19: by K. (new)

Caffee K. (kcaffee) | 461 comments Ubiquitous wrote: "The first four links were either to one of my books or to my blog. That's pretty strange when you consider how common my name is."

Ubiquitous, you must be a prolific writer on your blog. I know one of the blogs I follow has worked his fingers off to achieve that recognition as well. Kudos to you. Keep up the awesome effort.

Micah wrote: "My first link is to my amazon author page. The rest are mostly my goodreads posts and a few odd other things."

Just means you've done a wonderful job building buzz for your page. Great work!

message 20: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments Tangentially, do you think about google when deciding titles for books? My first didn't contain any unusualy words, so it tended to be hard to find, even in searches on Amazon. Now I'm including an asteroid name or a coined word in the title, makes it easier to find. Of course, that assumes someone might be looking.

message 21: by Aurora (new)

Aurora Springer (auroraspringer) | 34 comments I chose a pen name that is uncommon on google, as well as sounding optimistic and spacy. The competition is Springer books on the aurora.

message 22: by Christina (new)

Richard 2060 wrote: "Tangentially, do you think about google when deciding titles for books? My first didn't contain any unusualy words, so it tended to be hard to find, even in searches on Amazon. Now I'm including an..."

I do search to make sure I don't have a completely overused name. If it's part of a series, I don't worry as much as I would for a standalone book. I never considered unusual words to stand out, but now that you mention it, I do see quite a few fantasy and sci-fi with series titles like, " The (Made up word) Saga" or "A (Unique name) Novel."

message 23: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) I did searches on the titles for all my books, including the one I'm about to release. I'd hate to use a title already used by another author, and whenever anybody tried to find me on a search they'd get the other guy.

message 24: by K. (new)

Caffee K. (kcaffee) | 461 comments Having an unusual name does help bring up your visibility. I'm seriously considering changing the title of my first book. I didn't know about the campaign for helping the blind when I settled on the first title. Now, if you want to find the book, you have to hunt for my name. And, it STILL doesn't want to bring up the correct results. But, I've found a title that isn't attached to anything else (from what I can see.) So, the jury is out on that one. Will have to think about it a bit more.

message 25: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments I just finished a story. I woke up this morning thinking I was about two-thirds through a novella, wrote a chapter, and boom. Realised it was done, I'd resolved the plot. Epilogue, authors note begging for feedback, first draft done.

Not relevant to this discussion, sorry.

message 26: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) I had the same feeling a few days ago when, after 130,000 words, I realized that I was writing the last scene. I'm in the editing and proofreading phase now, but I find that I miss the writing.

message 27: by Turhan (new)

Turhan Halil | 270 comments What is an online bibliography ?

message 28: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) Turhan wrote: "What is an online bibliography ?"

I think it's one of those mythical things that authors hear a lot about but rarely see, like book sales.

message 29: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Searle | 13 comments I'm surprised, my search didn't do to bad. The first things which came up were my Facebook page, Goodreads, and Smashwords profile. I have better success when I type in my individual book titles though.

message 30: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments I confess, after my first book, I chose titles partly on the basis of google-ability. I include a rare or fictitious word in the title, so that googling the word will lead to the book. I'm not sure it does any good, but it makes me feel better. Feronia, Spacetug, Procellarum, Arkady... so far.

message 31: by Christina (new)

Richard 2060 wrote: "I confess, after my first book, I chose titles partly on the basis of google-ability. I include a rare or fictitious word in the title, so that googling the word will lead to the book. I'm not sur..."

Well, that's odd. I named a character in my last book Arkady.

message 32: by K. (new)

Caffee K. (kcaffee) | 461 comments Richard, I wish I would have looked at google before I titled my first book. Now, I'm trying to get out of the shadow of the blindness charity. (Pun partially intended.) Thankfully, I caught the rest before they published. Now, if I can only figure out how to get google to recognize "Caffee" instead of changing it to "coffee" on the first go-round, I'll be doing better.

message 33: by Turhan (new)

Turhan Halil | 270 comments K. wrote: "Richard, I wish I would have looked at google before I titled my first book. Now, I'm trying to get out of the shadow of the blindness charity. (Pun partially intended.) Thankfully, I caught the..."

I'm with you on the Caffee/Coffee conundrum, mine is Turhan/Turban!!!

message 34: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments Sitting in our turbans drinking out coffee. Searching Penn I always get the state.

message 35: by Turhan (new)

Turhan Halil | 270 comments Richard 2060 wrote: "Sitting in our turbans drinking out coffee. Searching Penn I always get the state."

*LOL*

message 36: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stewart (andreagstewart) | 37 comments I get my webpage and that isfdb page. The isfdb page is missing two of my publications though: one in a short fiction anthology widely available in B&N, etc. and the other in Beneath Ceaseless Skies. And they ummm...changed the title of one of my stories from "A Spray of Bittersweet" to "A Spray of Bitterness" which, LOL, is totally different.

Bittersweet is a plant/flower. Best kept records are your own, I think :)

Sci-Fi, fantasy and speculative Indie Authors...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

One Hot Mess (other topics)