Devon Book Club discussion

Bits and Bobs > Trashy Triumphs

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3030 comments Mod
Paying homage to Victoria and Ley's avowed love of trash for fun, what are your not so guilty trash triumphs?

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela Hobbs | 222 comments I have to confess that some years ago I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons by Dan Brown! Got bored with the formulaic style after that though - too much gunning of various engines!

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Loved Tom Sharpe's Wilt. The first few pages were hilarious.

message 4: by Angela (new)

Angela Hobbs | 222 comments Haven't read that, maybe I should try it!
Come on Groupies -'fess up,no need to be shy!

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3030 comments Mod
last year I was challenged by Megan to read Diary of a Shopaholic by author:Sophie Kinsella|6160]. Whilst I wouldn't read another, I confess I quite enjoyed it. Was very cold-ridden so the fire was lit and I accompanied the book with a tumbler or two of something medicinal so that may have helped!

message 6: by Alison (new)

Alison Golby | 76 comments I'm sure I must be the groups worst offender! I will happily read Jodi Picoult, Jojo Moyes, and Marion Keyes for a bedtime read!

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3030 comments Mod
Alison wrote: "I'm sure I must be the groups worst offender! I will happily read Jodi Picoult, Jojo Moyes, and Marion Keyes for a bedtime read!"

and why not! now, your challenge is to add a favourite book for each author on a reply to this post so you get trained to always add a book/author when you reference them.

message 8: by Alison (new)

Alison Golby | 76 comments I'm sorry Ian, but I can't see how to do that on my iPhone good reads app I'm afraid!

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3030 comments Mod
Alison wrote: "I'm sorry Ian, but I can't see how to do that on my iPhone good reads app I'm afraid!"

You are forgiven. Difficult from an iphone to use all the facilities on Goodreads. I'll do it for you then Jodi Picoult (I enjoyed My Sister's Keeper; Jojo Moyes (any favourites?); Marian Keyes(shes got nearly 3000 fans on Goodreads so obviously popular)

message 10: by Alison (new)

Alison Golby | 76 comments Me Before You by Jojo Moyes was a great read - really emotive and a tear jerker. I don't have a particular favourite of Marian Keyes - they are all a typical chick lit read!

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda (pippilotta) This thread reminded me of Malcolm Pryce and his funny Aberystwyth books, first came across The Unbearable Lightness of Being in Aberystwythafter reading the original The Unbearable Lightness of Being. His interview on his authors page on Amazon is great - he reminds me of Douglas Adams but a bit more outrageous which belies his quiet and reserved demeanour. Have just added his latest book to my 'to read' list.
Will try and add a link to his interview - http://is.gd/QRFWfV - not sure if it will work!

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Shuker (kathyshuker) | 527 comments Lynne wrote: "This thread reminded me of Malcolm Pryce and his funny Aberystwyth books, first came across The Unbearable Lightness of Being in Aberystwythafter reading the original [..."

Yes, the link works and thank you: yes, really entertaining!

message 13: by Ian (new)

Ian | 3030 comments Mod
Lynne wrote: "This thread reminded me of Malcolm Pryce and his funny Aberystwyth books, first came across The Unbearable Lightness of Being in Aberystwythafter reading the original [..."

Brilliant - never heard of him but shall certainly read him - sounds fun. On a similar tack, have you come across [author:Jasper Fforde|4432], who writes the Thursday Next novels. They are really funny - the first I read was One of Our Thursdays Is Missing - I recommend them for a laugh, but also to enjoy the cleverness of Bookworld, where books "live" for our imaginationm to access and where there are battles between genres, plenty of wicked people and a metaphor shortage.

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 800 comments Lynne wrote: "This thread reminded me of Malcolm Pryce and his funny Aberystwyth books, first came across The Unbearable Lightness of Being in Aberystwythafter reading the original [..."
Used to live in Aberystwyth, but have never heard of Malcolm Pryce, so will have a look.