Reading Adventures Book Club discussion

Sara's Book Pick > Ender's Game Disscssion 3-Final thoughts! (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara (whoaitssara) | 28 comments Mod

THIS CONTAINS END OF BOOK SPOILERS!!!

We did it! Now lets talk about it! What were you overall thoughts? What things did you have a problem with and what were you favorite parts? Any favorite characters? What did you rate the book and why!

Thanks for reading this with me and join me again next month for another buddy read!

message 2: by Elena (new)

Elena Robertson I enjoyed the book and have it 4 stars however I did have a few issues with it. I felt like something's weren't explained enough for me like I didn't really user stand how ender and his sister and brother had been born were they test tube or what? I also felt there was a little too much emphasis on the battles and this got a little repetitive for me. I'm definitely pleased I finally got to this book. I liked Enders character and his story, and I liked that thy also followed his siblings story in parallel. I was a little dissappointed with the ending as it didn't feel fully resolved and left me without that high you get when the good guys win and save the world etc. but I suppose that is part of the books message perhaps? I shall be watching the film soon I hope so hope that will clear up bits I haven't picked up on.

message 3: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (gabplusbook) | 7 comments I agree that the battle scenes were a bit repetitive. The story could have done with fewer of those, but it did also show how much stress the battles put on Ender.

Having the children so young didn't bother me too much. If you think about it now, there are places in the world today where they train child soldiers just like they did in this book. It is a bit heartbreaking.

I can't imagine a young person going through this either, but in the book it is repeated he is so much smarter than the smartest person you know. When I read him, he didn't read as a kid to me. He has such an adult personality. All 3 kids did. It kind of reminds me of that movie with Scarlett Johanson where they unlock her full brain's potential. They were pushing his brain to the limits, and as we can see, he had breakdowns, and major one at that.

ALSO, THE MOVIE IS HORRIBLE! SO SO SO HORRIBLE! Ugh. I hated it so much.It clears up NOTHING. haha

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara (whoaitssara) | 28 comments Mod
Alright guys, I finished this book a couple of days ago and needed that time to collect my thoughts! I ended up giving this book a three stars and I have a few reasons why; some of them are because of what you guys have mentioned.

First, I also didn't get fully immersed into the world. For some reason I wasn't totally into it. I don't know if that was because of the writing or because I just didn't pay enough attention but whatever the reason it did take away from the story a bit.

Also the battle scenes, I will agree, seemed to drag on a bit. I'm used to this in fantasy and I think it was harder for me to fully enjoy the battle scenes because I haven't read any science fiction so I was trying to picture what was going on with no context. However I don't think that was to large of a problem for me.

The biggest problem I had was something very personal to my reading style or tastes I guess. I really do not like kids and games. Like to the point where it makes me dislike books. I don't know why but it is just something I do not like to read. That being said, I do think Card did a really great job at making the story something to think about but I just couldn't get into it. That is something personal, though I did knock it a star because of it.

I guess I did have a issue with Ender being so young and having to do what he did, but I also don't think it was a bad move of Card's side. I mean I don't know if the story would have meant as much if Ender was older. I don't know the more I think about it the more I'm saying "Yes Sara, if Ender was 18 it would have been better" but who knows, I guess it added something different to the mix.

And lastly I didn't see the ending coming at all and that was crazy and what the heck. I didn't have a problem with the end, even though it didn't fully wrap up, because it is apart of a series (I don't think I will pick up the rest of the books).

Overall this book held merit but didn't do it for me. I will still watch the movie even though Gabrielle has warned me ;) and I will definitely be trying my hand at more SF soon!!

message 5: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (gabplusbook) | 7 comments After reading your review, Sarah, you may actually like the movie better. Ender is 12 throughout the whole movie. I believe. There aren't as many war room sequences. In the movie, I really missed the relationships and connections between people. I was also sad that the side plot with the siblings wasn't in there. But that honestly probably could be a movie in itself. I'm interested to see what you think of the movie when you get around to it!