The Bone Season Series by Samantha Shannon – A Read Along discussion

The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1)
This topic is about The Bone Season

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Underqueen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (luella22) | 58 comments Mod
What else jumped out at you in this section? Any themes or hints you're noticing?

Judy | 20 comments I couldn't stop at Chapter 11, even on the reread. I made myself stop at 13, but doubt I will wait for next week to continue! I can't remember from my first read, but I find myself waiting for Paige to find the tell-tale marks branding Warden from the previous revolt. And I don't trust David, but I also wonder if Warden sent him since Warden wanted her to research the Emite.

Alix | 70 comments Like Judy, I couldn't stop at the end of 11, I had to ready chapter 12 (even on re-reading and having listened to the audiobook). What I found most revealing was Paige's conversation with David. "Their blood (Reph blood) is the aether liquefied... you drink it, you become the aether, Like them... I'm willing to bet we could sell an 'instant clairvoyance pill within a few years... We'll be the ones experimenting on these bastards, not the other way around". This passage, along with a couple of his later comments, make me think that David is possibly a plant from somewhere in the Scion government. I doubt he learned all that from any Rephs, and I don't find him particularly likable or trustworthy!
What I also notice is how well a lot of the reveals later in the book are set up early on. Terebell is "away" on the same days that Warden is, and according to Tilda she "seems like a bit of a bitch" but doesn't abuse her charges and seems to take care of humans who are injured and wounded at Sheol 1.
I also found Duckett's questioning of Paige interesting. I have some theories about Warden and Bone Season XVIII, and it will be interesting to see how they pan out!

message 4: by Laura, Underqueen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (luella22) | 58 comments Mod
I understand, Judy. You can read at your own pace! She does set up a great deal for later that you realize when you're paying attention. I found myself surprised at the number of hits she drops that I missed the first time.

Judy wrote: "I couldn't stop at Chapter 11, even on the reread. I made myself stop at 13, but doubt I will wait for next week to continue! I can't remember from my first read, but I find myself waiting for Pa..."

Judy | 20 comments I agree. It is all making much more sense this time.

Judy | 20 comments I agree. It is all making much more sense this time.

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy (doggiemom2) I keep going back to the green pill that Paige gets. I can't remember what it's for.

Laura | 5 comments I have a question, how could I reed the first few capitals from The mime order??

Judy | 20 comments Amy I can't remember what the green pill is for either.

message 10: by Alix (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alix | 70 comments I remember, but not sure if I should say or keep mum until we reach that part in the reread? ;)

Cindra (mztikicat) Alix wrote: "Like Judy, I couldn't stop at the end of 11, I had to ready chapter 12 (even on re-reading and having listened to the audiobook). What I found most revealing was Paige's conversation with David. ..."
I, too, think David is a bit sketchy. He definitely has an agenda, & it makes sense that he could be a plant from a faction of the Scion government that wants to change things, although it seems that some parts of Scion are satisfied with the status quo, & accepting of the way The Repahaim control things. Thought David's comment about the Rephaim being aether in the flesh was interesting and important.

message 12: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy | 20 comments Alix, I say wAit till we get to that point. One good thing about having no memory when you get older is the fact that rereading is just like reading it brand-new every time. Makes it really interesting.

message 13: by vvb (new) - rated it 5 stars

vvb I am looking forward to Paige finding a "scarred one". And, wonder what David is up to in revealing secrets to Paige.

The Bone Season Series by Samantha Shannon – A...

unread topics | mark unread