The Bone Season Series by Samantha Shannon – A Read Along discussion

The Bone Season (The Bone Season, #1)
This topic is about The Bone Season

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Underqueen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (luella22) | 58 comments Mod
How does Paige’s naturally rebellious streak help and hurt her in this section?

Alix | 70 comments It definitely helps keep her from falling into the indoctrination/Stockholm Syndrome that others such as Carl fall into, and helps her gain a great deal of information and to make friends and earn the trust of people such as Liss and Julian.
The most notable time where it hurts her is when she almost loses her leg because she doesn't want to take the medicine Warden tries to give her. I was so exasperated with her during that passage.

Cindra (mztikicat) Paige's rebellious independence seems to be somewhat interwoven with a touch of pride. Not necessarily a bad thing, but throw a bit of stubborn into the mix, & definitely can be detrimental. Alix, I was exasperated w/her at that point, too. You have to get healthy to live another day, so you can be strong & fight when the time comes.

message 4: by Seo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Seo (seo10) | 11 comments Cindra wrote: "Alix, I was exasperated w/her at that point, too. You have to get healthy to live another day, so you can be strong & fight when the time comes.
"

I had mixed feelings at that point. On the one hand, I thought just like you, she was a completely fool there. But on the other hand, I understand her. I have the same tenacious and stubborn personality, and It's very difficult to give in sometimes.

Alix | 70 comments Seo, I understand. Throughout the book I understood completely why Paige did the things she did and probably would have behaved the same way if I were her, but as a reader, I was sometimes wanting to yell at her.

Alix | 70 comments Seo, I understand. Throughout the book I understood completely why Paige did the things she did and probably would have behaved the same way if I were her, but as a reader, I was sometimes wanting to yell at her.

Cindra (mztikicat) Something else I thought about. At this point she doesn't know enough about Warden to completely trust him & although he says the meds will help her, she has no way of knowing that for certain. Even if she is tenacious & stubborn, she is also very intelligent. And my significant other assures me that stubborn tenacity is not necessarily always a negative thing....and can be an indicator of strength of character. Paige undoubtedly has that going for her. She is such a likable protagonist.

message 8: by vvb (new) - rated it 5 stars

vvb Paige's rebellious streak during this section of the book did both - helped and hurt her which was needed for her to puzzle out the new setting she has been thrown into. To me, she had some eye-opening moments.

message 9: by Laura, Underqueen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (luella22) | 58 comments Mod
She's a fighter, all right. Even when she's not entirely sure what she's fighting against she's loathe to let anyone infringe on her liberty.

message 10: by Alix (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alix | 70 comments Cindra, as another stubborn, tenacious woman I agree. I think ultimately it's a trait that keeps her alive, but she still has some difficulties in picking her battles at this point!

Cindra (mztikicat) Alix wrote: "Cindra, as another stubborn, tenacious woman I agree. I think ultimately it's a trait that keeps her alive, but she still has some difficulties in picking her battles at this point!"

:)

The Bone Season Series by Samantha Shannon – A...

unread topics | mark unread