Hard Case Crime discussion

Still Alive?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve | 3 comments Is this group still alive? No one has posted anything since early September, and one of the moderators hasn't been here since February 2014.

message 2: by Brian (new)

Brian | 3 comments I hope it`s kept going. HCC`S a great publisher ;-O

message 3: by Jesse Orosco (new)

Jesse Orosco | 1 comments I support HCC! Love the classic pulp fiction & the nostalgic covers are also a perfect compliment to this publisher's genre! Please keep pulp alive!

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (rosary2513) | 1 comments Steve wrote: "Is this group still alive? No one has posted anything since early September, and one of the moderators hasn't been here since February 2014."

im here lol hugs steve your not alone

message 5: by Travis (new)

Travis | 9 comments It appears this group has died again? I just discovered and love HCC books but with all the other books on my to-read list I often neglect to pick up a new HCC to read and was hoping this group might kickstart that for me.

message 6: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Thomas (benjaminthomas) I hope it's not dead. I just started reading "The Confession" and came here to see if it had been one of the books discussed in the past...

message 7: by Charles (new)

Charles Ardai | 39 comments Thanks, guys. I'm delighted you're still out there, discovering and reading our books. We've published half a dozen this year, including a new novel by Lawrence Block (THE GIRL WITH THE DEEP BLUE EYES) and long lost work by Ed McBain (SO NUDE, SO DEAD) and Gore Vidal (THIEVES FALL OUT). Next year, we have another half dozen coming, including more McBain (CUT ME IN), a truly phenomenal first novel (SOHO SINS), and the long-awaited fourth book in Ken Bruen and Jason Starr's "BUST" series (PIMP). We do seem to get less attention for each new book we put out now than we used to -- maybe just because we're not as new as we once were, maybe some other reason -- but if you like our sort of book, you won't be disappointed.

message 8: by Charles (new)

Charles Ardai | 39 comments We can't -- the subscription service was something unique to our original publishing partner, Dorchester, which had a call center and a mail-order business that was equipped to ship individual books one by one to individual readers. When Dorchester went out of business in 2010, our subscription service died with them. The new partner we hooked up with, Titan Books, is superior to Dorchester in every other way, but they don't have a facilities for shipping individual books to individual subscribers (as opposed to shipping large quantities to stores, mostly through wholesale distributors).

Also, we no longer publish a book every month, the way we did with Dorchester -- we do an irregular number each year, usually 4-6, irregularly spaced -- so we couldn't tell people they'd get a new book every month. And where we used to publish every book in the same format and at the same price, we now have a variety of formats (mass market paperback, trade paperback, some hardcovers) and price points, so we couldn't just say something like "Pay $7/month and get each new book." It would have to be something more like "Subscribe now and over the next year you'll get a number of books we can't predict, in formats we can't predict, and will be charged an amount of money we can't predict." Not as compelling an offer!

So, we're not going to be able to revive that. But if you would like each new book delivered by mail as it is published, you can always pre-order them from Amazon or BN.com or the other bookseller of your choosing...

message 9: by Charles (new)

Charles Ardai | 39 comments By the way: we just posted info about 4 new books on the HCC website, www.hardcasecrime.com. You can now see our full 2016 list, from January's CUT ME IN by Ed McBain to December's THE KNIFE SLIPPED by Erle Stanley Gardner. The McBain is a rarity that hasn't been published in half a century -- and the Gardner is even rarer, never having been published at all!

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 3 comments Those look awesome!

message 11: by Charles (new)

Charles Ardai | 39 comments There is an email list -- if you enter your email address at the bottom of the home page of our website (www,hardcasecrime.com) you'll be added to it, and then you'll get periodic newsletters by email. But you're right that we should probably send them out more frequently. We don't want to be annoying and spam people too often, but a bit more often might not be bad.

You can always find out what books we have coming up by going to our website and clicking on the picture on the home page or the word "BOOKS" on the left side. That'll take you to a page showing all our books, newest at the top. We usually have several upcoming titles at the top, with information about each. (You can also look at the alphabetical list of all our titles on our home page -- upcoming titles that haven't been published yet are shown with a line like "--coming July 2016!", so they're easy to spot.

As for the book club, yeah, I'm sorry we can't offer that anymore. That was an offering unique to our original publishing partner, Dorchester, which had a call center and the other facilities necessary to ship individual books to individual readers. When they went out of business in 2010 (and believe me, we were just a startled, disappointed and upset as you were!), we had to switch to a new publisher -- and none of the new publishers that offered to take us on had that capability. So the book club died.

Realistically, it would have anyway, since we no longer publish a book every month, so we couldn't continue a "book-a-month" offer. And our books are no longer all the same format and the same cover price, as they were in the Dorchester days. But I am sorry we no longer can offer something along these lines for fans who would enjoy it.

message 12: by Charles (new)

Charles Ardai | 39 comments While we're at it, here's a list of new and upcoming books for anyone reading this page:

OUT NOW:

* THE GIRL WITH THE DEEP BLUE EYES by Lawrence Block (brand new novel, never before published; hardcover only for now, but pb coming later this year)

* Our first editions of the five original QUARRY novels by Max Allan Collins, originally published in the 1970s (and in one case the 80s): QUARRY, QUARRY'S LIST, QUARRY'S DEAL, QUARRY'S CUT, and QUARRY'S VOTE. This October we'll publish a brand new QUARRY novel -- QUARRY IN THE BLACK.

* CUT ME IN by Ed McBain: First publication in somehting like 50 years.

COMING SOON:

* PIMP by Ken Bruen and Jason Starr: The all-new fourth novel in the Max Fisher saga that began a decade ago in BUST.

* SOHO SINS by Richard Vine: A mind-blowingly good first novel set in the world art galleries and the related downtown scene. In my opinion, this may be the best book we've ever published.

* SINNER MAN by Lawrence Block: Block's very first crime novel, lost for decades (Block himself didn't own a copy, and didn't know what name or title it had been published under); revised and featuring a new afterword by the author.

* THE KNIFE SLIPPED by Erle Stanley Gardner: The long lost, never-before-published "Cool & Lam" detective novel written in 1939 by the creator of Perry Mason, Featuring a new cover painting by Robert McGinnis of Dita von Teese.

That should hold all of you for a while... :)

message 13: by Travis (new)

Travis | 9 comments * Our first editions of the five original QUARRY novels by Max Allan Collins, originally published in the 1970s (and in one case the 80s): QUARRY, QUARRY'S LIST, QUARRY'S DEAL, QUARRY'S CUT, and QUARRY'S VOTE. This October we'll publish a brand new QUARRY novel -- QUARRY IN THE BLACK.

Sweet! The Quarry novels have been some of my favorite HCC books so I'm glad to get to read the read of them.