Bitter Kittens Book Club discussion

Hello Kittens! Introduction thread

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alicia (new)

Alicia So - I think it is fairly clear who I am over at tomandlorenzo and as I talk about myself almost constantly you may actually know more about me than my mother does.

I am Australian, but I've lived in the UK for almost 9 years. I read mostly genre fiction - fantasy, scifi, romance and books about food.

I would love to hear more about you!

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 8 comments Hehe, I could probably say the same thing about me - you guys know me pretty well since I talk about my life constantly on TLo. I'm glad Alicia started this, though, because maybe you don't know me totally? Yet?

Anyway, I live in Richmond, Virginia, and I am engaged to be married in May 2015. I have worked for public libraries for just shy of 20 years, and I like to read fantasy, sci-fi, and adventure/thriller books. I will also read historical fiction and non-fiction books about fine art and crafting.

message 3: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 4 comments Sarah, we are not that far away from each other, I live in Durham NC. We spent a little time in Richmond this past summer and at at a totally fabulous Cuban restaurant called Kuba Kuba. If you don't know it, you should, I give it 10/10. Good for you for being a librarian, you are doing the Lord's work!

message 4: by Sarahbeth (new)

Sarahbeth | 5 comments I have just started posting semi-regularly over on Tlo, but have read there forever. God, since the Tim Gunn is Tired of your Bullshit post. Remember that? Damn.

Anyway, I'm SarahBeth at TLo too. I live in Massachusetts, am getting married on March 14, 2015 (Pi Day, yes we're nerds) and I'm a project manager in my real life that has sadly (or maybe not so much) carried over into my wedding planning life. I'm trying to convince my fiance that anywhere we go for our honeymoon must have a space for me to sit, by water and READ. That is my idea of a vacation.

I read mostly fiction, I have a soft spot for anything Tudor-Related (I find it so fascinating) so I like a lot of Phillipa Gregory. My fiance makes fun of what I read, but the amount of fucks I have to give about that is actually none. I also read a lot of John Grisham and I've been delving into YA a tad too only because its relatively easy since its written for 15 year olds. I admit to loving Harry Potter and I may or may not have stalked the mailman when book 7 came out until he brought it to my house. I also may or may not have sobbed my way through the end of that book.

Um. That's probably more about me then any of you ever wanted to know. oh. And I'm wordy. Sorry about that. ;)

message 5: by Courtney (new)

Courtney I'm PastryGoddess over on the TLo site. I"m former pastry chef, current meeting planner, and currently on the payroll of 3 very demanding kitties.

I like jewelry (tiaras!), photography, and reading.

I'll read pretty much anything, but I really like romance, erotica, and mystery. I'm a big fan of Old Tom Clancy, but that's really it for the military stuff.

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (sillytwigg) | 1 comments Hey! I'm Twigg over on TLo as well. I think my picture is the same too. I am a currently unemployed social worker in PA.

I read a lot of YA and sci-fi, and the occasional historical fiction.

message 7: by Rachel (last edited Nov 05, 2014 08:07AM) (new)

Rachel (rachelrybko) | 3 comments Hi BKs! I'm R.A. over on TLo. Long time reader (since Project Rungay days) but only started posting regularly recently. I live in Toronto, ON with my boyfriend of 2.5 years, work at an elementary school, love animals of all kinds and am passionate about their rights or lack thereof, and am an urban fantasy junkie - I love Karen Marie Moning, Jeaniene Frost, Ilona Andrews, Patricia Briggs, etc. etc. Anyone else into this sort of stuff?

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 8 comments Ellen wrote: "Sarah, we are not that far away from each other, I live in Durham NC. We spent a little time in Richmond this past summer and at at a totally fabulous Cuban restaurant called Kuba Kuba. If you do..."

Kuba Kuba is THA BOMB. And thank you, I love my work, if not my current job (underappreciated, underpaid, un-promoted, etc. etc.)

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 8 comments Rachel wrote: "Hi BKs! I'm R.A. over on TLo. Long time reader (since Project Rungay days) but only started posting regularly recently. I live in Toronto, ON with my boyfriend of 2.5 years, work at an elementary s..."

I am not so much, but I'm familiar. I do like Charles De Lint, though - he's in that vein with a less vampirical flavor. You tried him?

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelrybko) | 3 comments I have not! Do you have a specific recommendation? I always love finding new authors to fall in love with.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 8 comments Cool! He writes a few books about a fictional town called Newford, with recurring characters - I think the first one is Dreams Underfoot, and there are several others and some collections of short stories in that vein. He also has several other fantasy books that aren't in the Newford series. I like all of his stuff, so I'd say anything is good. He combines present day life with folklore in the most delightful way.

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelrybko) | 3 comments Thank you so much! I will add Dreams Underfoot to my to-read right now. I wish I could take a year-long reading sabbatical. That should totally be a thing.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 8 comments Rachel wrote: "Thank you so much! I will add Dreams Underfoot to my to-read right now. I wish I could take a year-long reading sabbatical. That should totally be a thing."

Yes, it should! I hope you'll like them.

message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth (ms_smartiepants) | 2 comments Hiya. I am Sonnet_PDX over at TLo: frequent, long-time reader and very infrequent poster. *Tangent: does anyone remember Stylista? That was when I started reading, and at least one of the cast was frequently posting in her own defense. God, it was so hilarious. Anyway, I love everything about books and reading, and am so happy this group was started!

message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1 comments Hello all. I post infrequently on TLo as longtall_sally, but I've been following them nearly forever, or at least it feels that way. I've gotten great recommendations for TV shows and movies from the site as well as from the commentariat, so I knew I'd find great recommendations for books here.

I am having an under-the-weather, stay-in-pajamas-all-day weekend, and I read "The Keeper of Lost Causes" in a little over 24 hours. It was just what I needed.

message 16: by Janet (last edited Nov 22, 2014 08:43AM) (new)

Janet | 1 comments Hi, I'm Janet here and there.
I haven't been doing much reading recently and hoping joining the Bitter Kittens here will get me inspired.
I just realized I never added T Lo's book to my book list!