Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Chat Room > Goodreads Choice Awards

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments If you haven't noticed, the Goodreads Choice awards are up and looking for nominations. If you do not see your favorite listed, cast a write-in nomination for the one you think is best. Need a refresher of what books were printed in 2014? Check out NBRC's lists of new releases for this year:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Happy voting everyone and may the best books win! :)

message 2: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments Aaaaggggghhh don't make me start on this one!!!! They put High Fantasy & Paranormal under the same category, so instead of 15 books of each, we have to share them!!!

message 3: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I know! I have so many complaints for the way they do the polls. GR really does make me go GRRRRR! I personally thing that is truly what the GR stands for. lol

message 4: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (cowmingo) | 4769 comments Lisarenee wrote: "I know! I have so many complaints for the way they do the polls. GR really does make me go GRRRRR! I personally thing that is truly what the GR stands for. lol"

LOL, I think you're right. They have a strange idea of what the book categories should be.

message 5: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments Me too. They still haven't created a New Adult category, so Romance is flooded with those titles... and for the life of me, I can't comprehend why not to gather biography with memoirs, because last time I checked autobiography is a type of biography, right?

message 6: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (cowmingo) | 4769 comments I thought the same thing, Sonia. And how come business is different from non-fiction? What about self-help? I think they just throw darts at a bulletin board with genres on them and pick what the darts say.

message 7: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments I don't get it. They wanted to separate the business books, fine, but why putting together such different brands of fantasy? Do they need to have always the same number of categories?

What is the next step? Revive the travel books and put together sci-fi & fantasy?

message 8: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Maybe it would blow their budget if they had more categories? Seems everything almost always boils down to money. I'd still like to know where they get the original nominations from.

message 9: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10180 comments Me too. Because seeing The Magician's Land nominated and Murder of Crows missing is doing strange things to my stomach...

*giggles*

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Yes, I was wondering where Murder of Crows (The Others, #2) by Anne Bishop was. There is something fishy about the nomination process in these awards!

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3273 comments Yeah - not always based on literary merit - popular vote which often translates to bad writing IMHO

message 12: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3234 comments Lauren wrote: "Yes, I was wondering where Murder of Crows (The Others, #2) by Anne Bishop was. There is something fishy about the nomination process in these awards!"

You should write it in if you loved it. You can do that in this first round.