Clean,Non Religious-Reads discussion

General > What are your favorite genres?

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C., Group Creator (last edited Dec 02, 2015 03:19AM) (new)

C. | 921 comments Mod
I like most genres,as long as the book is PG ,no worse than PG-13. That means very little to no profanity,no explicit sex,no explicit grisly gore.

I tend to read in genre 'cycles'.Will read many books in one genre for maybe months,then switch genres!

I enjoy romance, both contemporary and historical romance.Amish/Bonnet fiction,including Amish-themed mysteries.
Pride and Prejudice type romances,and I really have a 'thing' for cowboys,so western frontier/historical or contemporary romance.Also enjoy medieval romances,what's not to love about castles,lords and knights?

Thrillers of all kinds,medical,archaeological,crime.

Sci-fi/technothrillers,earth-based sci-fi,only.

Horror/Supernatural/unexplained.

Some mystery,though I am the world's worst arm-chair detective,and I prefer non-murder mysteries or Cozy Mysteries.

I even enjoy young adult. :]

Mostly avoid books that feature serial killers,abuse or harm to a child,no kidnapping/hostage situations.

I love fiction as fun,pleasant escapism,do not want to read about the worse elements in mankind,or life,except occasionally in non-fiction.

So share with us which books that you love to read.

message 2: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sngrant) | 7 comments I like a little bit of this and that as long as it is clean (language, sex and gore free). Depending on my mood and how much time I have to devote to reading I will read anything from contemporary romance to classics. Even a bit of Louis La'Amour thrown in there. I like variety.

message 3: by C., Group Creator (last edited Nov 03, 2014 09:33AM) (new)

C. | 921 comments Mod
Sandy wrote: "I like a little bit of this and that as long as it is clean (language, sex and gore free). Depending on my mood and how much time I have to devote to reading I will read anything from contemporary..."

Hi Sandy that is the way I feel.Haven't tried any strictly western yet but have some Elmer Kelton on my TBR list.

message 4: by Loren (new)

Loren Secretts | 44 comments Christine, thanks for roping me back into the world of the living (i.e. organisms reading for recreation). For months I've been involved in professional pursuits, and have banned myself from pursuing my ever growing to -read list till I finish up with my reports.
Right now my reading material is limited to researching the reliability of specific assessment scales for SAD... yes, I'm looking forward to free time and everyone's reading recommendations for those long, cold, Canadian nights.

Like Sandy, I have varied reading interests, but what I'm reading at any given point in time is usually dictated by my mood (or book availability!)

I have a long time love for the classics, and I'm repeatedly humbled by the psychological insights of the greats.

In addition to historical fiction, I enjoy fiction that explores different cultures.
In the last couple of years I've been reading (and psychoanalyzing :)) memoirs. Other recent genre additions are military and espionage (nonfiction).

But the majority of my reading for leisure is Young Adult. Not only b/c I write in that genre, but it truly is reading for pleasure. (That is until an author goes and ruins a perfectly nice trilogy with a depressing ending.)
For those interested in clean YA, may I suggest Janette Rallison (aka C.J. Hill)? Her writing never fails to entertain me.

Wishing you all many great reads!

message 5: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Philip (tamara_philip) | 16 comments I'm really into any type of fantasy novels these days but I've gotten very picky about what I actually finish. I just don't have the time :(

message 6: by Loren (new)

Loren Secretts | 44 comments Tamara wrote: "I'm really into any type of fantasy novels these days but I've gotten very picky about what I actually finish. I just don't have the time :("

Thanks to Time, I have to censor what books I pick up, b/c once I start, I have to stick with the book to the end.

message 7: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 921 comments Mod
Loren wrote: "Tamara wrote: "I'm really into any type of fantasy novels these days but I've gotten very picky about what I actually finish. I just don't have the time :("

Thanks to Time, I have to censor what b..."

Really?Oh gosh,not me,there are far too many books waiting to be read,for me to stick with a book that I am not enjoying.I won't hesitate to move on to another.

message 8: by Loren (new)

Loren Secretts | 44 comments C. wrote:"Really?Oh gosh,not me,there are far too many books waiting to be read,for me to stick with a book that I am not enjoying.I won't hesitate to move on to another.

I need resolution -- even to a poorly told story.

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky Lawyer | 106 comments I used to have to finish a book I'd started because I needed the resolution. I can't remember which book I quit reading because I just didn't like it. It was a rather liberating feeling! I don't do it often, but I do allow myself to quit reading (especially for racy reasons - such as Game of Thrones - I actually threw it away after just BUYING it! I still can't believe I did that). Anyway, my problem now is finding something that won't disappoint me. So, I am VERY dependent on your recommendations, all!

message 10: by Cindy (new)

Cindy My favorite genre is science fiction. I am pretty picky about what I read. I don't read fantasy so I have a difficult time finding books that are clean and not fantasy. I also like mysteries but prefer ones that are not centered around a murder.

message 11: by C., Group Creator (last edited Oct 11, 2016 09:52AM) (new)

C. | 921 comments Mod
Hi Cindy,I also enjoy sci-fi,but prefer it is Earth-based,not space opera,and also prefer non-murder mysteries.

For sci-fi without the fantasy elements have you tried doing a search for 'Hard Sci-Fi'?

Which science fiction books are your favorites?

For non murder mystery there is the 16-book Miss Julia cozy mystery series which I am ready to read book#5 in the series and I highly recommend these. This site might also help you~http://www.cozy-mystery.com/blog/cozy...

message 12: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Thank you for the suggestion on mysteries. I will check into those. I don't know what my favorite sci-fi book would be. It has just recently become my favorite genre in books though I have always loved sci_fi movies. (Favorite movies would have to be Star Trek.) I recently read Haladras by Michael M. Farnsworth which I thought was excellent. I also really liked Perfect Ruin by Lauren DeStefano. Both are YA but very good. I will try a search for Hard Sci-Fi.

message 13: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 921 comments Mod
Cindy wrote: "Thank you for the suggestion on mysteries. I will check into those. I don't know what my favorite sci-fi book would be. It has just recently become my favorite genre in books though I have always l..."

For sci-fi, I tend to enjoy techno-thrillers the most, such as Jurassic Park, Tsunami Storm, Close Up The Sky.

message 14: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 921 comments Mod
I seem to be getting into 'Cozy Mysteries' more, lately.

It is very difficult to find PG-rated thrillers or even Action-Adventure, most have elements that I will not tolerate, such as pervasive profanity/crude sexual talk, explicit sex scenes, and/or grisly gore! :[

message 15: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey | 27 comments Historic fiction and non-fiction.

But I always joke ... I like "Good" books. I do read other genres. I don't like romance. I really have to get a glowing review from a friend to pick one up. Or the historical content is worth it and I skip over. And I don't do crime ... Ever.

I do read a lot of best sellers to stay in know.

Funny I'm readying a scary/history/contemporary/mystery right now :-P

message 16: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 921 comments Mod
Lyndsey your last sentence cracked me up! I must ask....since it sounds interesting to me~how is it going?

message 17: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey | 27 comments I just started as me in a few days. Haha!

So far we have a book a man can't get rid of and a daughter asking questions. And it's vampires. Or at least Vlad the impaler.
The reviews had a lot of people claiming it had nothing to do with vampires and it was boring ... So sounds like something I would like ;)

It's: The Historian
Elizabeth Kostova

message 18: by Desiree Taggard (new)

Desiree Taggard | 51 comments I read in cycles. I enjoy most genres but rely heavily on the YA style because it is usually cleaner and an easier escape from everyday living. I will usually listen to classics or non fiction books while working, cleaning or driving but read the rest as my mood fits. My husband actually enjoys watching me sift through my to read list trying to "Feel" the next book reaching out to me. It can be really hard after finishing a great series and he thinks it is funny for me to look at 700+ books and say I have nothing to read! He knows that I will pick something (grudgingly) but by page 25 be telling him that I am reading the most interesting book. I am sure it is how most ladies act every morning when getting dressed!

Forgot to list my genres
YA
fantasy
Sci Fi
Disaster
Horror/thriller
Romance (both historic and contemporary)
mystery (cozy and gritty)
Non fiction (usually about historical times, events or people)
Classics ( ugh! Basically my broccoli of books, which is why I listen to them ( like pouring cheese sauce on the broccoli). If my kids are reading a book at school I read it too just so I know what they are working on and I am just not wired for classic books.)

Goodness, to be honest I will read anything that I feel like I would enjoy. I love seeing all the recommendations here!

message 19: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 921 comments Mod
Desiree, I totally agree about YA books usually being cleaner, plus much is better written than so much of the adult fiction.

message 20: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Cramer (kristicramer) | 109 comments I'll confess I read just about anything. My favorites have strong elements of suspense in them, and are plot driven but with well developed characters who grow during the course of the book.

I realize I may be in the minority in this group, but I don't mind if they aren't clean books, per se, as I just skim over the rough or naughty stuff. To me, language and violence don't put me off too much, although I do prefer it not to be gratuitous. Erotic content doesn't bug me, it just bores me - authors seem to be trying to outdo each other coming up with new and outrageous descriptions, etc, and I just roll my eyes and start skimming.

But it is getting "old" enough that I am starting to look for clean books.

I also write cleaner books - write them the way I prefer to read them. I have a smattering of cursing, but it fits the character and the moment. I have some violence and intense action, but if it is at all graphic, it's a sentence - maybe a paragraph at most. My first novel has 1.5 (LOL) sex scenes, but my main series has zero sex, just usually a spicy (or sweet) kiss scene. Just like real life, I don't need to "see" what happens behind closed doors.

These days I mostly read books by indie authors, and I have found a few peaches as I try to support fellow writers. I am, however, far behind on my to-read list. My eReader is full of books and I am buying new ones faster than I can read. But I am trying.

Kasi Blake is a notable "clean" find for me. She started as trad-pub, but went indie, and her book Bait has one of the best opening scenes I've read in a long time.

message 21: by Desiree Taggard (new)

Desiree Taggard | 51 comments Kristi wrote: "I realize I may be in the minority in this group, but I don't mind if they aren't clean books, per se, as I just skim over the rough or naughty stuff. To me, language and violence don't put me off too much, although I do prefer it not to be gratuitous. Erotic content doesn't bug me, it just bores me - authors seem to be trying to outdo each other coming up with new and outrageous descriptions, etc, and I just roll my eyes and start skimming.
"

I am the same way. Violence is not an issue for me. If the sex is easily skipped and not making me feel like I have just skipped an entire book I can do that too. Just like in TV or movies you can tell when the brown chicken/brown cow music is about to start and then I just skip ahead. Language is something I hate though. It seems like more and more YA and even middle grade books (my usual safe zone) are starting to get worse. If the "less offensive" words are used sparingly it is easier to skim over but lately most books I read think anything goes and uses the f-bomb like it is the new "and" or "I". It is harder to skim and overlook if an entire book is riddled with offensive things. I wish there was a filter on books or even a rating like in movies just to warn people. Nothing worse than getting 2 chapters in and every other word slapping you in the face!

message 22: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Cramer (kristicramer) | 109 comments Desiree wrote: "If the "less offensive" words are used sparingly it is easier to skim over but lately most books I read think anything goes and uses the f-bomb like it is the new "and" or "I". It is harder to skim and overlook if an entire book is riddled with offensive things...."

I recently read a book where (among other problems, like not being able to tell the difference in voice between the alternating 1st person POVs) the f-bomb was dropped so often it just became white noise. Swearing, in my opinion, should have an impact, it should make a reader think "wow, they're really shocked, or angry, or surprised." Too much and it means nothing.

Also, love the "brown chicken brown cow" - makes me giggle every time!

message 23: by Desiree Taggard (new)

Desiree Taggard | 51 comments Kristi wrote: "Swearing, in my opinion, should have an impact, it should make a reader think "wow, they're really shocked, or angry, or surprised."."

YES!!!!!!!! I love a quote from To Kill a Mockingbird that says: "Words like that were only to be used in instances of extreme provocation and that was that."

I giggle every time too!!!!! on the brown chicken brown cow.

message 24: by C.D. (new)

C.D. (goodreadscomchinwe) Fiction: Fantasy; a mix of adventure, comedy and romance; clever detective tales which don't indulge in gore; and most of the Classic literature cannon.

Non Fiction: Historical narratives on rulers/warriors/explorers of old. Medical histories. Biographies.

message 25: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 921 comments Mod
C.D. I also do not want "gore' in the books I read. Have you tried any Cozy Mysteries?

message 26: by C.D. (new)

C.D. (goodreadscomchinwe) Hello, yes, I have read a few, but a long while back. Some Agatha Christie and Sidney Sheldon would fall into the category. Recently, I haven't read that many 'mystery' genre books. Funnily enough, I read one last night, and it was not cozy at all! Not because the writer wanted gore per se, but because it was based on the historical events of 'The Poison affair' in the time of the Sun King. I actually had to skip paragraphs to get through it.

message 27: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Standafer | 47 comments I always used to stick with tried and true genres that I figured wouldn't disappoint. Usually, that eant romances (but definitely not erotica) or mysteries without over-the-top violence and gore. Since I joined Kindle Unlimited about 18 months ago, I'm trying different types of books. The books are there at my fingertips, there's no investment (except for the KU monthly fee) in case I don't like the book, and I'm finding some fun things to read. I've picked up several cozy mysteries, some sci-fi, I even grab a cookbook or a kid's book now and then. I'm finding it fun to try different things and, if I don't like something, I can easily move on to the next book.

message 28: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 921 comments Mod
C.D. wrote: "Hello, yes, I have read a few, but a long while back. Some Agatha Christie and Sidney Sheldon would fall into the category. Recently, I haven't read that many 'mystery' genre books. Funnily enough,..."

You might find this useful~http://www.cozy-mystery.com/Cozy-Myst...

message 29: by C., Group Creator (last edited Oct 11, 2016 09:50AM) (new)

C. | 921 comments Mod
Margaret wrote: "I always used to stick with tried and true genres that I figured wouldn't disappoint. Usually, that eant romances (but definitely not erotica) or mysteries without over-the-top violence and gore. S..."

Margaret, I just started my 30 day free trial of Kindle Unlimited last month and I totally love it! I think it is well worth the $9.99 monthly subscription cost. What great entertainment for 10 bucks a month!

message 30: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) I love, love, love a good mystery (think I am in a rut...), sci fi, fantasy and historical fiction.

message 31: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 921 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "I love, love, love a good mystery (think I am in a rut...), sci fi, fantasy and historical fiction."

I have been getting more into mysteries lately. You might be interested in my new group~Clean Mystery/Suspense for the Squeamish

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

It would be great if you could suggest titles too! :D

message 32: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) C. wrote: "
I have been getting more into mysteries lately. You might be interested in my new group~Clean Mystery/Suspense for the Squeamish."

Thanks C.! I will think on some good titles...

message 33: by Carol (last edited Oct 22, 2016 07:22PM) (new)

Carol (carol07) Here are some good, PG/PG-13 mysteries:

Dog on It (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #1) by Spencer Quinn

The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (The Cat Who... #1) by Lilian Jackson Braun

No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (series) by Alexander McCall Smith

The Moonstone by Collins, Wilkie - A classic and a big book, but very enjoyable if you don't mind a little meandering.

The Case of the Missing Servant (Vish Puri, #1) by Hall, Tarquin

The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs Pollifax #1) by Dorothy Gilman

message 34: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 56 comments I'm so happy to find so many people with similar reading interests as mine! It's sad but when you like "clean" literature sometimes you can feel like the only one, or at least I have felt like that personally. But I can see here there are many like me. :) The genres I enjoy are mystery/suspense, sci-fi, gothic romance and a little bit of this and that from other catagories. I'm not really big on reading what's super popular at any given time. You know the book that everyone and their dog is reading because a movie is coming out or something like that. (I might read it eventually on my own terms, call me a weird rebel, Lol.) I'm not sure if it's appropriate to ask this question here, but, does anyone have any suggestions for some good indie novels in my fave genres? If I'm asking in the wrong place I truly apologize. I'm so new at all this and severely tech challenged. :(

message 35: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 921 comments Mod
I'm not sure about 'indie' novels, as I don't pay any attention to whether they are or not, only to the synopsis sounding interesting. However, you might like to check out my other recently created group~Clean Mystery/Suspense for the Squeamish

message 36: by S.T. (new)

S.T. Sanchez I love Fantasy Novels. My favorite author of the moment is Brandon Mull. I love all his series!

message 37: by Eliza (new)

Eliza Taye (eliza_taye) My favorite genres are science fiction, fantasy, and historical fiction. I also like thriller and mystery books at times.

message 38: by Libby (new)

Libby (bulldog369) I love cozy mysteries! I also like books like John Grisham, Nicholas Sparks, Catherine Coulter, J.A. Jance. I also like Young Adult books too. I'm looking for new cozy mysteries authors that are semi clean or clean writers. This means not a lot of cussing.

message 39: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine (jean3) I enjoy a book/story that gives me a good creepy chill! Unfortunately, the horror genre is usually loaded with excessive sex and a lot of God vs the evil humans or evil demons. Good vs evil is OK, but if they can make it not pertain to a certain religion. You know, the 'she became evil because she forgot to attend Church/Sermon/mosque/synagogue/etc.'. I also have other restrictions on my fiction. Picky, I know, but that's how I roll.

message 40: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 921 comments Mod
Jeanine wrote: "I enjoy a book/story that gives me a good creepy chill! Unfortunately, the horror genre is usually loaded with excessive sex and a lot of God vs the evil humans or evil demons. Good vs evil is OK, ..."

Hi Jeanine and WELCOME to the group! I hope you find some titles to enjoy from our bookshelf on the top right of the group homepage and also check my bookshelves on my Profile page by clicking on my avatar.

I feel exactly the same as you about nice creepy horror. One that really blew me away recently was~ Superstition by David Ambrose

message 41: by Libby (new)

Libby (bulldog369) Does anybody know any good authors that write semi clean or clean? This means not a lot cussing or no cussing at all. I'm trying to find some new authors.

message 42: by C., Group Creator (new)

C. | 921 comments Mod
The books on the bookshelf here should give you plenty of authors, also on my bookshelves on my profile page, which you can access by clicking my thumbnail pic. You will find them in every genre.

You can also check here~Clean Reads

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Superstition (other topics)
Bait (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kasi Blake (other topics)