Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Misc... (Formally Welcome) > Netgalley - a fantastic chance for reviews

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steven (new)

Steven V.S. (middlegradeprivateer) | 1 comments Hi, I'm a new author and I've just signed up for a co-op on Netgalley which is a very powerful website when it comes to reviews. I've signed up a six month contract with them, but do not think I will need it for more than about two months. I therefore have four months free which I would be willing to share with other authors looking for reviews. So for example if you wanted a month, you'd pay a 1/6th of the cost etc. It's a pretty good deal,

https://www.netgalley.com/home/tour

Here is more info. Just PM me if you're interested

message 2: by Jack (new)

Jack Erickson (goodreadscomjack_erickson) | 4 comments I'm interested, Steven. How has it worked so far?
I have a book I'd like to promote.

message 3: by Shahla (new)

Shahla Khan | 2 comments Sounds great. Please let me know further details.

message 4: by Zia (new)

Zia Wesley (ziawesley) | 11 comments I'd also be interested after seeing the first month's stats.

message 5: by Andretta (new)

Andretta Schellinger (andrettaschellinger) I would be interested after the first month of stats. I looked at how expensive it was and it seemed pretty steep without any evidence on how it works.

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2163 comments I just read that it cost $599 for a marketing plus title plan or $399 for a six month plan? That is absolutely ridiculous!!

message 7: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 34 comments I would love to talk to someone who has paid for a Netgalley listing and used it and find out how many reviews it generated, how difficult it was to manage etc. It is quite pricey, but if the exposure is good enough it might be worth it (although you're essentially just paying to give your book away to readers).

There are other ways to garner reviews, including groups like Story Cartel (which only costs $25 for the exact same service and many of the same reviewers). It's a smaller and less well known community of reviewers, but after a four week listing with them I've already gotten five reviews out of it, and might get more. And they're not the only group that offers those kinds of services.

message 8: by Tom (new)

Tom Mykytiuk | 4 comments Steven wrote: "Hi, I'm a new author and I've just signed up for a co-op on Netgalley which is a very powerful website when it comes to reviews. I've signed up a six month contract with them, but do not think I wi..."

Hi,I checked out netgalley and I couldn't find anything on coops or getting reviews. It looks like a site to provide reviews rather than receive reviews.

message 9: by Maurice (new)

Maurice Miller (mauricegmiller) | 5 comments Virginia wrote: "I would love to talk to someone who has paid for a Netgalley listing and used it and find out how many reviews it generated, how difficult it was to manage etc. It is quite pricey, but if the expos..."

Virginia - thanks for the tip on Story Cartel. Looks like a good lower cost alternative to NetGalley.

Here's hoping you got some snow for a white Valentines's day up there.

message 10: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (abigailsharpe) NetGalley is used by publishers to distribute their books to reviewers, not just blog sites. Getting an account to review is free.

I don't have numbers, but it works. They use it to get reviews of books before books are released. If you can get a book on there, I'd say do it. I would, but I have nothing to release at this moment, and my first two were already up there. :)

message 11: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 34 comments Maurice wrote: "Virginia - thanks for the tip on Story Cartel. Looks like a good lower cost alternative to NetGalley.

Here's hoping you got some snow for a white Valentines's day up there. "

Thanks, Maurice! We did get some, but just a light dusting. Sigh...

message 12: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 34 comments Tom wrote: "Hi,I checked out netgalley and I couldn't find anything on coops or getting reviews. It looks like a site to provide reviews rather than receive reviews. "

Hey, Tom. So the main thing Netgalley publicizes is their membership for professional readers as they're constantly working to grow their community of bloggers and reviewers. Their info for publishers (and independent authors) is a bit more hidden. Here's the link to the info we're talking about.

But you still won't see the co-op option. That is not something they officially do, and you'll have to trust whoever you sign up with that you'll actually get your listing time and your money's worth. (It's like subletting an apartment.)

message 13: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2163 comments what I don't get is how do they allow you to join for free and review books for free but charge author's hundreds of dollars to put their book on their site to review?

message 14: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 34 comments Justin wrote: "what I don't get is how do they allow you to join for free and review books for free but charge author's hundreds of dollars to put their book on their site to review?"

Yep... That's the mystery to me, as well, and why I've been hesitant to sign up.

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Povey | 44 comments It's basically advertising, from what I can see. Having the hundreds of dollars is, of course, the rub.

message 16: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Edgar | 21 comments It's because the Amazon and Goodreads algorithms place so much weight on the number of reviews, I think. Authors fear their books will never take off without substantial numbers of reviews so they are prepared to throw a lot of money at it.

message 17: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 138 comments Net Galley was originally intended for traditional publishers. It's they who can pay the hundreds of dollars for reviews by librarians, newspaper and magazine reviewers and other professionals in the book business. This is one of the ways that traditional publishers provide publicity for their books. Things have changed. So now they accept bloggers and reviewers for review websites as reviewers and SPAs as providers of books, but the traditional publishers are still the main providers of books on Net Galley. It's also important for you to know that most reviewers for Net Galley aren't really interested in books by SPAs. If you take a look at the Most Requested category, you'll see what's really hot there. Reviewers usually join Net Galley in order to get books from traditional publishers months in advance of publication.