J.D. Robb discussion

Heartbreaker (Buchanan-Renard, #1)
This topic is about Heartbreaker
Archives > Nov. Book Discussion - Heartbreaker by Julie Garwood - Spoiler Zone

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10200 comments Mod
Heartbreaker by author Julie Garwood is the winner of our Nov. Book of the Month Poll. Please join us as we read & discuss this book in Nov. This thread will become a Spoiler Zone on 11/15.

Bless me father, for I will sin....
In the still shadows of the confessional, a madman tauntingly reveals his plan for a murder he is going to commit, pulling Father Thomas Madden into a twisted game by disclosing his next intended victim: Tom's sister, Laurant. In a frantic race to protect her, Tom calls upon his best friend, elite FBI agent Nick Buchanan, to track the predator who is closing in on Laurant. Now, as an electrifying attraction grows between Laurant and Nick, so does the danger -- and one false move will cost both of them everything that matters.

Let New York Times bestselling author Julie Garwood take you on a thrilling excursion into the soaring heights -- and the darkest impulses -- of the human heart.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 12959 comments Mod
Loved this book!

Really looking forward to it. I'll have it read by the 15th.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Excellent book! I went through a Julie Garwood thing last month and read this one along with several others. This is very good and has a great suspense plotline along with the romance. Can't wait to enter the discussion.

message 5: by Karen ♐ (new) - added it

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 750 comments Can't wait to read this one.

Jillian (jilliej26) | 7 comments I loved this book! Think I will re-read it. This series is one of the best and really funny in parts. Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

I've just started Heartbreaker...will try to have it read before week's end. Who else is reading this book? I think it's a great choice for Book of the Month and look forward to discussing it.

Dawn | 3237 comments I started it yesterday.

Tarri I read it when it first came out and am just catching up on some of the others in this series.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I read it last month and really enjoyed it.

I will finish this one by Monday. This is now a spoiler zone. Feel free to discuss it anytime.

So...the killer is supposed to be someone she knows well - right now, I haven't a clue beyond the obvious & I don't think it's him.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 7 comments I love this series! My favourite so far is Slow Burn (Book 5) Slow Burn (Buchanan-Renard, #5) by Julie Garwood . I am a bit foggy on Heartbreaker so might be time for a reread lol.

I just finished Heartbreaker today! Oh wow! Another great R/S author on my must read list. And while reading this book, I actually forgot it was book 1 of a series! I'll have to continue it. Do the characters from Heartbreaker occur in the later books? Guess I better go check that out!

Anyone else reading Heartbreaker this month?

Yes, they continue but not in significant roles for the most part.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 7 comments Jonetta wrote: "Yes, they continue but not in significant roles for the most part."

The Buchanans seems to disappear after Shadow Dance and the FBI connection seems to be the main thread in the series. Let me know if I am wrong on that, Jonetta.

I really loved Nick & Noah & Tommy & Laurant, of course. Do any of these other guys stories get told in later books? Or are each actually just complete standalones? Similar to the way the Karen Rose series is done?

And let me also say, Heartbreaker actually made me laugh out loud a few times also! I love humor in the middle of drama!

Kris, I think you're right though I think a Buchanan shows up again in Sizzle.

Sandra, yes some of them so. Each book connects with at least one of the characters from an earlier book.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 7 comments That is one reason why I liked Slow Burn was the humour and seriousness blended in so well.

Jonetta - right, I totally forgot about that.

The humor surprised me...kind of slipped up & caught me unaware. But I did find myself laughing. I look forward to future books of this series...I'm thinking we should just make a BOM author thread for Garwood also. I know I'll be continuing the series & hope others will want to discuss them also.

The connection of the villain to the others did surprise me. I had looked at this guy but so much focus was on the killer being after Laurant, that I didn't see this connection as being as likely.

I agree about setting up a Julie Garwood thread. I can do that if you'd like.

Please & thank you Jonetta!

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 7 comments Sandra - I am so glad you enjoyed the book so much :)

I will definitely participate on parts I can remember.

I loved the book, Kris...my first Garwood! I've got to rate & review it. Loved to chat about any of the books with you!

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 7 comments Looking forward to reading your review, Sandra. And same here about chatting!

message 27: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments I just finished the book and came in to see what ya'll have been saying about it...I loved it by the way....and now you tell me it is a series?!? I guess that series number just jumped up by one more Sandra.

LOL Dawn...same here. I loved this book & look forward to the next one. We've opened a BOM Author thread for Garwood. I'll be happy to discuss this one & future books with you. I'm not sure who else read it this month. I think Jo & Kris had already read it.

Did you figure out who the killer was before it was revealed?

message 29: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments I guessed that I thought it was him...but I wasn't positive. I really wanted him to punish Lonnie though.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 7 comments I have read them but am in for the discussions! I may not remember as many details as you guys tho.

I suspected in a way because his name kept popping up but I didn't guess the angle or the why of the whole thing.

message 32: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments Oh no, the why was a complete miss for me.

I was focused on it being about her not him...so I totally missed the "why" of the serial killing.

message 34: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments I got very suspicious when he was going to video from the balcony, but I really did not get it until he went into the kitchen.

message 35: by Vera (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vera Maslow | 446 comments I put this on hold at the library for my kindle, apparently still on waiting list.. gah! Usually when they have a few copies available it doesnt take very long, but this one is. oh well Ill get to it when i get it!

I'm going to continue the series...loved it.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 7 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I'm going to continue the series...loved it."

Yay!

message 38: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments Oh I have already gone on with the series...the difficulty is slowing myself down and not going a binge read.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 7 comments Yep, I binge read this one.

One-A-Month Plan...I'm on the One-A-Month Plan with many series. Right now, I have 10 series on this plan plus several more that I work in each month, especially MRs & other BRs. Not saying I'll never binge again (we all know I will) but I really like moving all these series forward & staying fresh in several.

I did that a lot this year, Sandra, and made great strides. After having jealously watched you binge read, I'm wearing that for awhile:)

Oh, I'll binge again when a series hits me hard enough - like Consequences, The Siren, Captive in the Dark...sometimes, I have no choice as I just can't stop.

Was excited to hear another Consequences is being released next year...though sometimes I worry when a series just keeps adding "after" the end of the main story. Fingers crossed for this one.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 7 comments Some series are just like an open bag of (insert fav flavour) chips...except you can use the "it would have gotten stale if I hadn't eaten them...all..right now" with chips lol.

LOL Kris - yes they are. Usually for me, it's the dark, emotional mind games series that hook me into not being able to stop. They are my poison! :)

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 7 comments Gawd, I know that is my poison too...and I'm nosy so cliffhangers of any kind get me too, haha.

Oh yeah...those pesky cliffhangers! lol

message 47: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments I need a self help group to stop me from binge reading this series. Having said that, I just finished the third book...wow! The book barely kept my attention until the end...I knew Uncle Tony was a turd.

Dawn - I'm trying to be your "self-help" with the one-a-month plan! You keep running off & leaving me! lol

message 49: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn | 3237 comments I am trying really really hard. I did not buy the next book yet. Instead I updated my Fictfact page. Lol

Ahh..If a series grabs you that intensely, I say binge read it. I'm holding to my monthly plan as much as possible but that doesn't mean I couldn't break it for the right series. That's the beauty of it! :)

« previous 1