The Reader's Bar discussion

Gorilla, My Love
This topic is about Gorilla, My Love
Open for Discussion > November Book Discussion-Gorilla, My Love

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Please post your comments about this book below. Happy Reading!

Anyone start yet? I just ordered a copy from my library. I am hoping to get it soon.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I should pick up my copy this week.

MsG wrote: "I should pick up my copy this week."

Great!

message 5: by Beverly (new) - added it

Beverly | 223 comments I am such a bad short story collection reader.
I have dusted off my copy and this time I will complete reading the stories I have not yet read before these papers are too yellow to read. :)

Beverly wrote: "I am such a bad short story collection reader.
I have dusted off my copy and this time I will complete reading the stories I have not yet read before these papers are too yellow to read. :)"

Lol. Too funny.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 12, 2014 10:43AM) (new)

I completed the first two stories. Some very funny spots, like the "Sort of Preface." The stories leave me with wanting more and somewhat don't make sense. This is my first in short stories.

On to Raymond's Run.

MsG wrote: "I completed the first two stories. Some very funny spots, like the "Sort of Preface." The stories leave me with wanting more and somewhat don't make sense. This is my first in short stories.

On..."

Ok. I am going to pick up my copy from the library tomorrow. I am looking forward to getting started. Anyone else start reading this book yet?

message 9: by Beverly (new) - added it

Beverly | 223 comments MsG wrote: "I completed the first two stories. Some very funny spots, like the "Sort of Preface." The stories leave me with wanting more and somewhat don't make sense. This is my first in short stories.

On..."

I am not a big fan of short stories but a friend has helped me to understand and appreciate them a little better.
For me it works best if I read one story per day so I only think through one story at a time.

In this collection the author is showing us issues for women of color living in Harlem in the 1960s & 1970s.

All of the stories in this collection has a female narrator and some of the stories are connected.

message 10: by Beverly (new) - added it

Beverly | 223 comments My Man Bovanne

I liked this story and had to smile a couple of times, especially since I have adult children and yes at times they think I am the child and they are the parent.

Also at this time was the rise of the "black identity" which has expectations on how one should act and who you should associate with. Miss Hazel's children do not like how she is action especially since she coming on to Bovanne.

I thought that Miss Hazel was comfortable with who is as the story is told through her thoughts and emotions.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I Like how Miss Hazel's story ended in My Man Bovanne.

Thank you Beverly for sharing the tip your friend gave you.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Before I read another one, I reminded myself that I was reading a short story and I enjoyed the story a lot better.

I appreciated Gorilla, My Love. Wait until you find out how the story was named. Very humorous.

Do you think the author meant to write comedy? Could be the juvenile narration too.

message 13: by Beverly (new) - added it

Beverly | 223 comments MsG wrote: "Before I read another one, I reminded myself that I was reading a short story and I enjoyed the story a lot better.

I appreciated Gorilla, My Love. Wait until you find out how the story was nam..."

I think the author was trying to stay true to her characters. I laughed a couple of times - while reading this story - especially the part about the matron as I remember Sat afternoons at the movies in the children section and how we acted up depending on which matron was on duty.

But I think these stories are slices of life.
We learn the nicknames of the narrator before we learn her "real" name Hazel. So the nicknames tell us how others perceive her and that she is young despite her strong voice. When she tells her grandfather to call her by her name - Hazel - she is trying to grown up, I think.

Liked how we learned about her family structure and their values.

In the first story - there is a Miss Hazel, is this the same character at different times in life???

What do you think of the author's writing style?

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

The writing style is appropriate for the narrator of the short stories-a child.

I don't read well, books written with children narrators.

I read one chapter from one of the author's other books to compare her different writing styles and found that I liked the writing style better in the novel vs. her short stories:
The Salt Eaters.

message 16: by Beverly (new) - added it

Beverly | 223 comments I have not yet finished all of the stories.

So far I will say that the author's writing style is very engaging. I find these "slice of life" stories entertaining but also feel that each story has a deeper meaning and message the author once us to know. I think will probably be to articulate this when finishing the collection.

As already mentioned I am not a fan of short stories (though I know some people enjoy them) but I have read some short stories collections over the years and I this one will be one that I recommend to others.

Personally I think that writing short stories is harder than writing a novel. I can only imagine how hard it must be to develop an arc for the character(s), get your message across in so few words - every phrase/sentence needs to count.

Denise wrote: "What do you think of the author's writing style?"

I am just getting started but I like the author's writing style. It makes it seem like I am having a conversation with the character in the story.

MsG wrote: "The writing style is appropriate for the narrator of the short stories-a child.

I don't read well, books written with children narrators.

I read one chapter from one of the author's other books..."

The Salt Eaters seems like an interesting book. I am going to add it to my to read list.

Which was your favorite story?

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Gorilla, My Love. I think because of the humor, the time frame. Remind me of when I was young and my friend and I would cut-up but not in a bad way, just "manish", as my Gram would say.

After Raymond's run, I skipped around to the Johnson Sisters, so I read some of the stories but not all.

I'm glad I was introduced to this author; very interesting bio.

What did you think of Hazel? She shows up in quite a few of the stories.

Denise wrote: "Which was your favorite story?"

I am still working my way through the stories but right now my favorite is Mississippi Ham Rider.

MsG wrote: "Gorilla, My Love. I think because of the humor, the time frame. Remind me of when I was young and my friend and I would cut-up but not in a bad way, just "manish", as my Gram would say.

After Ra..."

What did you think of The Johnson Girls story?

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't remember, I skipped so much. What's your take on it as the last story?

MsG wrote: "I don't remember, I skipped so much. What's your take on it as the last story?"

I think it is interesting to hear how the girls view men and the advice that they give to Inez.