J.D. Robb discussion

Archives > 2014 Goodreads Choice Awards

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13393 comments Mod
The opening round of voting starts today. Don't forget you can write in your own selection in each category.

2014 Goodreads Choice Awards

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3245 comments Whew! That was hard. They had MOBY up against The King in the same catagory. I wrote MOBY in under Historical Fiction and voted for The King under Romance. Of course I voted for Festive too. I can't think of two more different types of books to be placed in the same catagory than those two.

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

Lol! I did the same thing:)

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3245 comments I panicked for a minute. Like...nope cannot choose between those two...lol. Funny how we get such ownership over these damn series'.

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Dawn wrote: "Whew! That was hard. They had MOBY up against The King in the same catagory. I wrote MOBY in under Historical Fiction and voted for The King under Romance. Of course I voted for Festive too. I can..."

MOBY?

It's funny where they put some of these books. Romance shows up under paranormal and paranormal shows up under romance.

In another group, people were having a discussion on how they should have a separate category for Urban Fantasy.

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3245 comments And I saw nothing for erotica based books.

Kirsten, not sure if you are asking what MOBY is or not...it is actually the nickname Diana Gabaldon gave to Written in My Own Heart's Blood, the latest book in the Outlander series. Just in case you were.

message 7: by ShoSho (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 50 comments I voted for Festive but I think Concealed in Death was a better book and that one should have made the list !

message 8: by Jonetta (new)

The books all are released from November 2013 - November 2014.

message 9: by ShoSho (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 50 comments Jonetta wrote: "The books all are released from November 2013 - November 2014."

Yes ,Concealed in death was published in Feb 2014 .
I really like to know how these books are selected. The average rating or the number of ratings or something else!

message 10: by Jonetta (new)

ShoSho wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "The books all are released from November 2013 - November 2014."

Yes ,Concealed in death was published in Feb 2014 .
I really like to know how these books are selected. The average..."

Silly me. Had it in my head that it was released last September!

message 11: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) ShoSho wrote: "I voted for Festive but I think Concealed in Death was a better book and that one should have made the list !"

I actually preferred FESTIVE to CONCEALED. I thought it was a lot of fun. (view spoiler)

But, you could've put it in as a write-in.

I wrote in 4 different books this year.

message 12: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3245 comments I did write ins as well.

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

The semi-final round has started and I noticed quite a few write-ins that made it. Here's the link.

2014 Goodreads Choice Awards - Semi Final Round

message 14: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) None of my write-ins did :(

message 15: by Paula (new)

Paula | 245 comments I'm so glad that Mean Streak was written in. Voted for it in the semi-final round.

message 16: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10396 comments Mod
I was glad to see that also Paula!

message 17: by Jonetta (new)

The final round has started.

2014 Goodreads Choice Awards - Final Round

message 18: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3245 comments They still made me decide between The King and MOBY! Apples and oranges

message 19: by Jonetta (new)

I know!!? Stinks.

Festive made the final round!

message 20: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) It seems weird though, seeing Festive in the mystery category. I couldn't in good conscience vote for it as best mystery, now it it had been in the romance category...

message 21: by Jonetta (new)

Here are the Final Results

message 22: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3245 comments DG announced MOBY's win a little while ago. She added that it received more votes than the winner in the Historical Fiction winner. I guess they really wanted it in the Romance category. Lol

message 23: by Jonetta (new)

Guess so. It's squirrel-y isn't it?

message 24: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3245 comments Well, like I said before, I am not sure I think either MOBY or The King belonged in Romance...but there you go.

message 25: by Jonetta (new)

MOBY, IMHO, belongs in historical fiction but I'll take the romance. The King definitely belongs in the fantasy, as Goodreads defines it.

message 26: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I think THE KING could be in either the Urban Fantasy or Romance categories. But I think FESTIVE should've been in Romance. I wonder how they determine what category it should be in.

Whenever I've seen IN DEATH or BDB books in actual bookstores, they're shelved in Romance.

message 27: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3245 comments I see In Death as Mystery/Crime and BDB as Paranormal Romance.

message 28: by Jonetta (new)

Barnes & Noble shelves the In Death series in the mystery section. The author actually classifies it as mystery with romantic elements, which is how I've viewed the series. The main focus is always the case at hand and solving it. All other storylines, at least for me, are secondary.

I actually started reading the series because it was strongly mystery. It's the part that intrigues me the most. But that's just me.

message 29: by Jonetta (new)

Dawn wrote: "I see In Death as Mystery/Crime and BDB as Paranormal Romance."

I see BDB as paranormal romance, too, but sadly the awards lump all of them into fantasy or romance.

message 30: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) That's interesting. It's been a while since I've been in an actual bookstore. When it was first out, it was in the Romance section. I guess I started reading it for the romance, but all the other elements made it so much more.

I really read it for the characters. It's gotten to be more of a family reunion/class reunion for me when a new book comes out than a mystery or a romance.

message 31: by Jonetta (new)

Those booksellers who knew J. D. Robb was the pseudonym for Nora Roberts were shelving the series that way for that reason, at least that's what I've read in interviews.