Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Team Challenges Archive > Reading an old BOM or BR? TTIII

Comments Showing 1-50 of 138 (138 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 03, 2014 02:19AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod

Are you intending to crack open an old favourite, or a book you missed when it was first read here as a Book of the Month (BOM) or Buddy Read (BR)?

You can do a shout out in this thread for other Tower Teamies to come and visit you at the old thread to have a chat about that book.
Please post the book you are reading, when, and a link to the discussion thread

You can find the spreadsheet with all the past book discussion links here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

(Note: Points are only given for discussing a book as a BOM or BR if you have someone from another team, or someone not in Tower Teams come and discuss it with you! )

P.S This is not the right thread to find someone to read a book with you that isn't a past BOM or BR. You should do that at the Buddy Read Requests thread here

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod
reserved

message 3: by Michelle (last edited Nov 07, 2014 11:32AM) (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3040 comments I am reading Neverwhere this month and it is a past BOM and BR. The BOM thread is HERE if anyone would like to join me.

message 4: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie I'm reading The Maze Runner this month as an informal BR with a few people and we've created our own group for it, visit us at Maze Runner BR if you like.

Also looking to read Sabriel. It was originally the January BOM-- here if you're interested.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3040 comments Ashley wrote: "I'm reading The Maze Runner this month as an informal BR with a few people and we've created our own group for it, visit us at Maze Runner BR if you like.

Also looking to read [book..."

Ashley, I have been wanting to read Sabriel but I'm pretty booked in November. I'll read with you if you can wait a bit.

message 6: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments *angelic face*

Ashley, are you promoting outside NBRC groups without asking the mods?

Don't forget the buddy reads outside NBRC will not count for points. But, we have a thread about the Maze Runner here, if you want to try to earn the points.

message 7: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie eep sorry Sonia! missed that. so... if I post in the Maze Runner BR thread in your link, it'll count? :)

and Michelle, that's fine! I'm probably overbooked as it is, so I'll push it back for December ;)

message 8: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14257 comments Mod
Ashley wrote: "eep sorry Sonia! missed that. so... if I post in the Maze Runner BR thread in your link, it'll count? :)
..."

Sorry Ashley, no, you can't link to another group. You will need to have the discussion in NBRC for it to count

message 9: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Alright, got it :) thanks!

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 04, 2014 05:26AM) (new)

I'll join Ashley and Michelle for Sabriel in December. (I'm in Witches of the Bayou.)

message 11: by Renee (new)

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments I've just started The Time Traveler's Wife if anyone wants to discuss it on this thread

message 12: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 292 comments I'll be starting Gone Girl on the 11th. The thread is here if anybody's interested to discuss.

message 13: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie ackkk so many books I want to read. okay, I *MIGHT* jump on the Gone Girl BR depending on what I can get read in the days before the 11th. I've had that one sitting on my shelf for too long.

message 14: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 292 comments Same with me! I am juggling so many at the moment and yet this keeps calling out, "Read me, READ me!" I have no other option but to submit to it's power.

message 15: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Alright, rearranged my books so I'm definitely in for the Gone Girl BR, Shinjini :) pumped!

message 16: by Shinjini (new)

Shinjini (shinjini14) | 292 comments Yes!! Super! :D

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3040 comments Whoops! Linked the wrong discussion for Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman . The buddy read discussion where I am chatting is HERE

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Michelle, I just read the description of Neverwhere, and that sounds good! I'll read it with you. I can start any time after this weekend.

message 19: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 1487 comments We have a buddy read going on of Stolen: A Letter to My Captor which is an old BOM. So would it count as a BR since a group of us are reading it or a BOM?

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3040 comments Talia wrote: "Michelle, I just read the description of Neverwhere, and that sounds good! I'll read it with you. I can start any time after this weekend."

Oh good. Hopefully someone else will join us since we are both on Witches. So many people have already read it we can probably get some of the past readers to chat about it. Gaiman's really popular!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Michelle wrote: Oh good. Hopefully someone else will join us since we are both on Witches. ..."

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I'm fine with waiting to see if others want to join in. :)

message 22: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Nov 08, 2014 12:40PM) (new)

Beth (Ducky) wrote: "We have a buddy read going on of Stolen: A Letter to My Captor which is an old BOM. So would it count as a BR since a group of us are reading it or a BOM?"

Copying a Q&A below:
In saying that, if you are using an old BOM thread as a new BR, you can take the BR points.

◈ Q: I know this has been mentioned a million times but I just want to clarify -- if we read a past BOM (*not* buddy read) and actually go through and participate in the Q&A that are posted, we get points? Or do we only get them if an opposing team member plays along with us? And if it has to be an opposing team member, do they have to be new to the BOM, as well, or could it be someone who has read the book and answered the Q&A already but are now sharing in a discussion with myself/whomever? ((Also asked in the BR requests thread))
A: Yes, if you go to a past BOM and answer questions, it would 'count' if someone else pops up and interacts with you. This could be a past reader of the book, or a new one. I think you will find most of the mods will interact with you. For example, BOMs that I have read, I keep notifications on, so if it happens to be one of my books then I will have a chat about the book :)

message 23: by Poongothai (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 576 comments I'll be starting to read Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer on 10th Nov. The buddy read thread is
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Anyone interested may join

message 24: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1793 comments Ashley wrote: "I'm reading The Maze Runner this month as an informal BR with a few people and we've created our own group for it, visit us at Maze Runner BR if you like.

Also looking to read [book..."

I just Started Sabriel. I will join the discussion when it starts. It looks like I can answer the questions when I finish and then check back to have a discussion with you!

message 25: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie @Karrie, no doubt you'll be finished by the time we get started! lol

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll be reading these past BOMs and BRs if anyone wants to join in:

The Passage (The Passage, #1) by Justin Cronin The Passage, discussion here

Partials (The Partials Sequence, #1) by Dan Wells Partials, discussion here

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) by George R.R. Martin A Feast for Crows, discussion here

The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2) by Patrick Rothfuss The Wise Man's Fear, discussion here

message 27: by Alex (new)

Alex | 1018 comments Ooooh, when are you starting A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) by George R.R. Martin ? I'm up to the same place in the series and could definitely be tempted to read it with you.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Zee wrote: "Ooooh, when are you starting A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) by George R.R. Martin? I'm up to the same place in the series and could definitely be tempted to read it with you."

Great! Will December work for you? Or maybe starting Thanksgiving weekend?

message 29: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) I am planning to start A Discovery of Witches next week.
Disussion here .

message 30: by Alex (new)

Alex | 1018 comments Talia, December will work! I just need to finish the current doorstopper I'm partway through then I'll have room for another :-)

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Zee wrote: "Talia, December will work! I just need to finish the current doorstopper I'm partway through then I'll have room for another :-)"

Great! Let's check in near the end of November to pick what date in December will work. I've never signed on for quite so many buddy reads, so it'll be interesting to see how this month goes! :)

message 32: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 999 comments I am currently re-reading Stolen: A Letter to My Captor Stolen A Letter to My Captor by Lucy Christopher with other readers.

Link to the discussion: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

(I'm on army ants team)

message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I'm currently reading The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith by Robert Galbraith

Link to the discussion: The Cuckoo's Calling BOM - the link goes directly to my first post. I'm on part 3, chapter 3.

I'm on the Thundercats team :0)

message 34: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekahpaige) | 263 comments I am currently reading Stardust by Neil Gaiman. It was a former relaxed Buddy Read.

The thread is here:

message 35: by Tory (new)

Tory (nghtstlkr64) | 202 comments I'll join you for Neverwhere. I started reading it earlier this year but only got about halfway done.

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3273 comments I am doing a BR with Cynthia for Wool. Can we just use the recent BOM thread?

message 37: by Ashley Marie (last edited Nov 10, 2014 11:29AM) (new)

Ashley Marie Lauren wrote: "I'm currently reading The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith by Robert Galbraith

Link to the discussion: The Cuckoo's Calling BOM - the link goes directly to my first post. I'm on part 3, chapt..."

I'll check in on this one! I'm nearly done with it, on disc 12 of 13 of the audiobook; I may or may not finish it up today, depends on how much longer I'm at work. I'll tackle the discussion questions when I get home tonight!

message 38: by Stacie (new)

Stacie  (cowmingo) | 4755 comments I'm starting this one The Diviners today if anyone is interested in reading it with me. I plan to go back and answer the BOM questions anyway :)

message 39: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Sarah wrote: "I am doing a BR with Cynthia for Wool. Can we just use the recent BOM thread?"

Yes :)

message 40: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 5051 comments Lauren wrote: "I'm currently reading The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith by Robert Galbraith

Link to the discussion: The Cuckoo's Calling BOM - the link goes directly to my first post. I'm on part 3, chapt..."

I'll try to get this one started shortly...and come join you :)

message 41: by Elena (new)

Elena  | 1383 comments Stacie wrote: "I'm starting this one The Diviners today if anyone is interested in reading it with me. I plan to go back and answer the BOM questions anyway :)

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/sho..."

Hi Stacie! I started The Diviners a little while ago and have been meaning to get back to it. I'd love to read and discuss it with you but won't be able to until a couple of days from now, need to clear a couple of other books first :). See you in the discussion thread! Oh and I'm from Misty Mountain Trolls.

message 42: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3040 comments Tory wrote: "I'll join you for Neverwhere. I started reading it earlier this year but only got about halfway done."

Great, Tory! I have been replying to the previous discussion questions. I'll stop by to see what you think.

message 43: by Stacie (new)

Stacie  (cowmingo) | 4755 comments Elena wrote: "Stacie wrote: "I'm starting this one The Diviners today if anyone is interested in reading it with me. I plan to go back and answer the BOM questions anyway :)

https://www.goodread..."

I just finished it so I'll be waiting to talk about it!!

message 44: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Started The Book of Life (All Souls Trilogy, #3) by Deborah Harkness - The Book of Life Informal Buddy Read

Team Thundercats!

message 45: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 5051 comments anyone else reading The King's Curse (The Cousins' War, #6) by Philippa Gregory ? I'm 3/4 way through....I think the others who were reading with me are done...but I'm still open to talk :)and if tey're still reading also...more the better! :)

message 46: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 1221 comments Would anybody else like to read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks? I think it would be a good book to buddy read and I'd love someone else to discuss it with. The link the to BR which appeared to never really get underway is here: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks BR

message 47: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 999 comments Sorry Claire, I have Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks on my TBR list but I won't be able to get to it until well into the new year
(really well in - right now I'm thinking like next May!).

Hope you find someone who can read it with you sooner ☺

message 48: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3040 comments ✿Claire✿ wrote: "Would anybody else like to read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks? I think it would be a good book to buddy read and I'd love someone else to discuss it with. The link the to BR ..."

Claire, I already read it but I would chat with you in the BR thread if you need a partner. I thought it was a good book.

message 49: by ✿Claire✿ (new)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 1221 comments Michelle wrote: "✿Claire✿ wrote: "Would anybody else like to read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks? I think it would be a good book to buddy read and I'd love someone else to discuss it with. Th..."

Ooh, yes please, if you don't mind. I'm planning on starting it tomorrow or Wednesday :)

message 50: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 5051 comments Lauren wrote: "I'm currently reading The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith by Robert Galbraith

are you still reading? I can come over this week :)

« previous 1 3