so you like YA?! discussion

Archives > Team 3: The Book Bandidas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by B.A. (last edited Dec 04, 2014 09:26PM) (new)

B.A. Wilson (bawilson) HERE IS MY UPDATED PLAN:

FINISHED SO FAR:
Birthmarked (Birthmarked, #1) by Caragh M. O'BrienPrized (Birthmarked, #2) by Caragh M. O'BrienPromised (Birthmarked, #3) by Caragh M. O'BrienThe Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James DashnerThe Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2) by James DashnerAshes (Ashes Trilogy, #1) by Ilsa J. BickThe Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3) by James DashnerProdigy (Legend, #2) by Marie LuChampion (Legend, #3) by Marie LuThe Retribution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #3) by Michelle Hodkin
CURRENTLY READING:
Shadows (Ashes Trilogy, #2) by Ilsa J. Bick (17% So gruesome, but I'm liking it)

STILL MUST READ:

1. Shadows (Ashes Trilogy, #2) by Ilsa J. Bick Monsters (Ashes Trilogy, #3) by Ilsa J. Bick 2. The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) by Alexandra Bracken Never Fade (The Darkest Minds, #2) by Alexandra Bracken

BACK-UP OPTIONS (Hanging on to these in case I suddenly change my mind): (view spoiler)

message 2: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (last edited Dec 13, 2014 02:54PM) (new)

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
This is my plan!! I might end up switching out Grave Mercy and/or Sanctum for Daughter of Smoke and Bone and/or Guardians of Time

Finished books:
Wake (Dream Catcher, #1) by Lisa McMann Fade (Dream Catcher, #2) by Lisa McMann Gone (Dream Catcher, #3) by Lisa McMann Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) by Michelle Hodkin The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2) by Michelle Hodkin Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by Robin LaFevers Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1) by Sarah Fine Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2) by Sarah Fine Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands #3) by Sarah Fine Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2) by Robin LaFevers

Currently Reading:
Fire Study (Study, #3) by Maria V. Snyder

My trilogies to read:
1. Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by Robin LaFevers Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2) by Robin LaFevers Mortal Heart (His Fair Assassin, #3) by Robin LaFevers 2. Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1) by Sarah Fine Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2) by Sarah Fine Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands #3) by Sarah Fine 3. Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Fire Study (Study, #3) by Maria V. Snyder
4. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) by Michelle Hodkin The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2) by Michelle Hodkin The Retribution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #3) by Michelle Hodkin 5. Wake (Dream Catcher, #1) by Lisa McMann Fade (Dream Catcher, #2) by Lisa McMann Gone (Dream Catcher, #3) by Lisa McMann

Potential Backups:
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (last edited Dec 13, 2014 02:55PM) (new)

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
MASTER LIST OF TRILOGIES READ:
7/12 Trilogies
30/36 Books

1. Birthmarked (Birthmarked, #1) by Caragh M. O'Brien Prized (Birthmarked, #2) by Caragh M. O'Brien Promised (Birthmarked, #3) by Caragh M. O'Brien
2. Wake (Dream Catcher, #1) by Lisa McMann Fade (Dream Catcher, #2) by Lisa McMann Gone (Dream Catcher, #3) by Lisa McMann
3. Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu Prodigy (Legend, #2) by Marie Lu Champion (Legend, #3) by Marie Lu
4. Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder
5. The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2) by James Dashner The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3) by James Dashner
6. Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by Robin LaFevers Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2) by Robin LaFevers
7. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) by Michelle Hodkin The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2) by Michelle Hodkin The Retribution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #3) by Michelle Hodkin
8. Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2) by Leigh Bardugo
9. Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2) by Stephanie Perkins Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3) by Stephanie Perkins
10. Ashes (Ashes Trilogy, #1) by Ilsa J. Bick
11. Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1) by Sarah Fine Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2) by Sarah Fine Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands #3) by Sarah Fine
12. Tempting the Best Man (Gamble Brothers, #1) by J. Lynn Tempting the Player (Gamble Brothers, #2) by J. Lynn

message 4: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (new)

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
Any other things we need to discuss as a team?? :)

message 5: by Zu (last edited Dec 13, 2014 06:07PM) (new)

Zu | 26 comments Hey Team

Finished books:
1. Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2) by Leigh Bardugo
2. Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1) by Stephanie Perkins Lola and the Boy Next Door (Anna and the French Kiss, #2) by Stephanie Perkins Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3) by Stephanie Perkins
3. Tempting the Best Man (Gamble Brothers, #1) by J. Lynn Tempting the Player (Gamble Brothers, #2) by J. Lynn Tempting the Bodyguard (Gamble Brothers, #3) by J. Lynn

Currently Reading:
Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3) by Leigh Bardugo

I am planning to read
Ruin (Ruin, #1) by Rachel Van Dyken Toxic (Ruin, #2) by Rachel Van Dyken Shame (Ruin, #3) by Rachel Van Dyken

Trilogies I started but did not finish
1 Enclave (Razorland, #1) by Ann Aguirre Read Outpost (Razorland, #2) by Ann Aguirre TBR Horde (Razorland, #3) by Ann Aguirre TBR
2. The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa Read The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2) by Julie Kagawa TBR The Forever Song (Blood of Eden, #3) by Julie Kagawa TBR
3. Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1) by Rachel Hawkins Read Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2) by Rachel Hawkins TBR Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3) by Rachel Hawkins TBR

Actually Becky I was planning on reading The Grisha series, if you realy don't mind switching?

message 6: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (new)

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
Yay!! Looks like we have a general plan of action :)

So if we can either update our original posts or make new ones we can keep track of what books we've read!! I think we should make sure to do an update at least once a week (or more if you read more I guess!). But I think we're definitely on track and can win this whole thing :D

message 7: by B.A. (last edited Nov 06, 2014 09:44AM) (new)

B.A. Wilson (bawilson) Sure, Zu! Go ahead and read the Grisha trilogy. I could read any of the others and be happy and get back to that later. I'll think about what I want to swap out and update my list.

The only trilogy I got close to finishing and didn't was Matched. I still have this one to read:
Reached (Matched, #3) by Ally Condie

Actually, to be honest, I started these below when the 1st book came out (for a committee I was on) and never went back to finish the series. I figured I'd have to reread book one, since it has been several years now....but if someone else wanted to read the first book and remind me, I could work on reading sequels. :) Either way:
Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu Ashes (Ashes Trilogy, #1) by Ilsa J. Bick Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1) by Rae Carson Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver

Also, I've read Anna and Mara, but I want to know if you end up liking the other trilogies on your lists. Some of those are on my TBR too. Happy Reading! :)

message 8: by Zu (new)

Zu | 26 comments Thank u Becky :D
I loved Delirium and Legend so u should defiantly finish both of them
I am excited about reading Anna! Everyone loved it!

@Riya Sounds perfect.

message 9: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (new)

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
I'll definitely let you know how they all are!!! And I can definitely do the first Legend book since I reread that series all the time, and I don't mind rereading the first book this weekend :)

And yay- happy reading to you guys too!!!!

message 10: by B.A. (last edited Dec 01, 2014 01:37PM) (new)

B.A. Wilson (bawilson) Riya wrote: "I'll definitely let you know how they all are!!! And I can definitely do the first Legend book since I reread that series all the time, and I don't mind rereading the first book this weekend :)

An..."

Perfect! I'm working on the Birthmarked trilogy right now (already on BK2!). If you read the first Legend though Riya, I can definitely read the last two next. That would work great! :)

Then I could see about reading one of the 1st books in one of the 3 series that Zu has already started. I've actually thought about trying out both Enclave and Hex Hall. If I read the first, would you want to finish up the last 2 on one of those series? If so, which did you like best? I guess if you liked Immortal best, I could try that too. I've never heard of it, but I'm a pretty flexible reader.

AND: I forgot to say before that I still need to read the 3rd Mara Dyer book and planned to get it read this year anyway, if that helps at all.
Book 1. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) by Michelle Hodkin (already read) --- Book 2. The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2) by Michelle Hodkin (already read) --- Book 3. The Retribution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #3) by Michelle Hodkin (need to read)

Let me know what you think! I updated my first post to make a trilogy change and to show what I've finished and am currently reading. :)

message 11: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (last edited Nov 09, 2014 09:20AM) (new)

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
Nice job BA that's so awesome :D
And I'll probably reread the first Legend book tonight! I get through it pretty quickly since I've read it so many times now :P
I'm sorry but I read (and hated) the first Enclave book, and I've already read the Hex Hall series so I'm not gonna be reading those again. Sorry I can't help out with that!!

Also, The Raven Boys is actually a 4 book series, so it doesn't qualify.

And I don't mind if you want to read the third Mara Dyer book! I'm planning on reading the first two books this week, but I don't have a copy of the third book yet. If you want to go ahead, but if you feel like you've got other series going I can read it also- whichever is easiest for you :)

Just wanted to mention that this challenge has perfect timing since next weekend I have a 4-day weekend since I have 2 days off of school, so I can pretty much just read a ton for those days!!

message 12: by B.A. (new)

B.A. Wilson (bawilson) Riya wrote: "Nice job BA that's so awesome :D
And I'll probably reread the first Legend book tonight! I get through it pretty quickly since I've read it so many times now :P
I'm sorry but I read (and hated) the..."

Oh, drat! I had no clue the Raven Boys was going to have 4 books. Now I'm going to have to wait another whole year for book 4. :(

I'll definitely be reading the 3rd Mara Dyer, so I can cover that one if you want. But if you get really caught up in the first 2 and want to just finish it, that is fine too. I'm flexible.

message 13: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (new)

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
B.A. wrote: "Riya wrote: "Nice job BA that's so awesome :D
I'm sorry but I read (a..."

Yeah it's really a struggle!!!

And I don't mind. I'll just read the first two, and by the time I do that if you're still busy with other series then I'll most likely just go ahead and finish the 3rd! So it just depends on how long it takes me to read the first couple :)

message 14: by Zu (new)

Zu | 26 comments @Becky great! one book down 35 to go!

I like them all the same but if I would have to choose between the three series, I would choose The Immortal Rules then Enclave and Hex Hall.

@Riya I love long lazy book marathon weekends!

message 15: by B.A. (new)

B.A. Wilson (bawilson) Zu wrote: "@Becky great! one book down 35 to go!

I like them all the same but if I would have to choose between the three series, I would choose The Immortal Rules then Enclave and Hex Hall.

@Riya I love lo..."

Okay. Sounds good. Keep me posted when it gets to that point, and we can try to work something out. I'm flexible. :)

message 16: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (new)

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
B.A. wrote: "Zu wrote: "@Becky great! one book down 35 to go!

@Riy..."

Yup! I'll definitely be keeping my post updated as I go :)

message 17: by B.A. (last edited Nov 11, 2014 11:00AM) (new)

B.A. Wilson (bawilson) Ooh! Great choice, @Riya. I love the Wake trilogy, and a bonus is that the books read so fast! :)

Has anyone read this: Croak (Croak, #1) by Gina Damico If so, did you like the series?

message 18: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (new)

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
Haha yeah I'm already halfway through the third one, so I'll probably finish that and Legend tonight :)

I haven't read that, but I've heard good things if that helps??

message 19: by Zu (new)

Zu | 26 comments I didn't read it

message 20: by Zu (new)

Zu | 26 comments I didn't read it

message 21: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (new)

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
So we've made great progress so far!!! Already we've read 10 books :D

message 22: by Zu (new)

Zu | 26 comments If u read Anna and the French kiss (view spoiler)

message 23: by B.A. (new)

B.A. Wilson (bawilson) Zu wrote: "If u read Anna and the French kiss [spoilers removed]"

Oh, dear! I know. I thought that too, so I was grumpy with him at times... but I still loved the story overall. Hope you survive it!

And go team! I haven't had as much time to read, but I'm still making progress.

message 24: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (new)

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
Ahhhh I haven't read it, but I really want to! Did you guys like it???

And that's awesome!! I've slowed down a bit, but I'm still reading a lot :)

message 25: by B.A. (last edited Nov 16, 2014 01:19PM) (new)

B.A. Wilson (bawilson) Riya wrote: "Ahhhh I haven't read it, but I really want to! Did you guys like it???

And that's awesome!! I've slowed down a bit, but I'm still reading a lot :)"

I liked the whole trilogy. :)

@Zu: I was able to check out The Immortal Rules from the library. Did you want me to read that one for you, or should I hold off while you decide?

@Riya: How did you like Grave Mercy and the Poison Study? Those are on my list...

message 26: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (new)

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
@B.A.

Awesome- I'll definitely read it!

And Poison Study was absolutely AMAZING- although the second one isn't as good so far. I still highly recommend it. I also really liked Grave Mercy and you should definitely read it, but it isn't as good.

message 27: by Zu (last edited Nov 17, 2014 02:26PM) (new)

Zu | 26 comments @B.A.Yeah I want to finish the Immortal Rules series...and tell me which series do u want to split??

We r doing great :D... I have the next 2 weeks off so I will be able to read more

message 28: by Zu (new)

Zu | 26 comments B.A. wrote: "Zu wrote: "If u read Anna and the French kiss [spoilers removed]"

Oh, dear! I know. I thought that too, so I was grumpy with him at times... but I still loved the story overall. Hope you survive i..."

The r adorable thats why I survived it

@Riya everyone I know gave Anna and the french kiss 5 stars but to be honest I didn't like it!

message 29: by B.A. (new)

B.A. Wilson (bawilson) We are in the lead! Way to go us!

@ZU: Yes, the characters in the entire trilogy are adorable. That's one of the reasons I like the books so much. Sorry you didn't like it overall!

message 30: by Zu (new)

Zu | 26 comments Niiiice :D that's great!

Actually I started Lola and the boy next door and I'm loving it so far!

message 31: by B.A. (new)

B.A. Wilson (bawilson) Woohoo! The 3rd Mara Dyer book came in at the library! :) Yay!

message 32: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (new)

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
B.A. wrote: "Woohoo! The 3rd Mara Dyer book came in at the library! :) Yay!"

So do you wanna read that for me then?? :)

message 33: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (new)

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
I can always read it though since I have my copy. It just depends how busy you are :)
And I can always read Champion (Legend #3) if you are running late on that or something!

message 34: by B.A. (last edited Nov 24, 2014 10:44AM) (new)

B.A. Wilson (bawilson) Hey! Sorry! I had a ton of family stuff this weekend, so I got sidetracked. I'm going to finish up Death Cure tonight, because I've been reading it for too long. I'm near the end.

Then I'll probably start The Retribution of Mara Dyer tomorrow, since it will have to go back to the library soon. After that, I planned to finish Prodigy and Champion and then wrap up with the final 2 in the Ashes trilogy.

However, @Riya, if you want to read some of those, feel free to. I can work around whatever works for you or read in a different order. . .

message 35: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (new)

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
Nah if you're ready to read those I can try getting the Guards of the Shadowland series done!! Thanks so much for reading Mara Dyer for me :) And trust me, you'll finish Champion super quick since it's just SO fast paced!

message 36: by B.A. (new)

B.A. Wilson (bawilson) Sounds good! I'm on it! I accidentally started Prodigy, so I might be finishing that series up before Mara now. LOL. :)

message 37: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (new)

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
Haha understandably- I LOVE the Legend series :D

message 38: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (new)

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
I hope Zu is doing okay!!

I was thinking that maybe you and me should team up for another trilogy and she just reads two? I think that would work out best, but we'd just have to find a trilogy for both of us to read.

message 39: by B.A. (last edited Nov 24, 2014 07:52PM) (new)

B.A. Wilson (bawilson) Riya wrote: "I hope Zu is doing okay!!

I was thinking that maybe you and me should team up for another trilogy and she just reads two? I think that would work out best, but we'd just have to find a trilogy for..."

That would be fine with me! There are several other trilogies I've started or never finished, or if there are some that you've started and never finished, we could split something up.

Do you have anything in mind?

These are ones that I've read the 1st book and never finished:
Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1) by Rae Carson Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1) by Kiersten White

Or I would also be game for trying something brand new that you had started and never finished. . . I guess we could see where a few more days gets us before we decide, but you can let me know what you are thinking.

message 40: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (last edited Nov 24, 2014 08:25PM) (new)

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
I've actually read or tried all of those series, so could we do a different one??? As long as I haven't read it, I'd be up for anything. By any chance would you be interested in reading any of these series (which I've read the first or first two books of)
The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) by Alexandra Bracken Defiance (Defiance #1) by C.J. Redwine The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy, #1) by Jennifer A. Nielsen Insignia (Insignia, #1) by S.J. Kincaid

Or we could do a new series? Here are some that I'm kinda interested in:
Burn for Burn (Burn for Burn, #1) by Jenny Han Ruby Red (Precious Stone Trilogy, #1) by Kerstin Gier False Memory (False Memory, #1) by Dan Krokos Pure (Pure, #1) by Julianna Baggott

I'm pretty open to any other suggestions though!

message 41: by B.A. (new)

B.A. Wilson (bawilson) Riya wrote: "I've actually read or tried all of those series, so could we do a different one??? As long as I haven't read it, I'd be up for anything. By any chance would you be interested in reading any of thes..."

I've actually been wanting to read Darkest Minds, and I already have that series on my kindle. That would work for me, if it works for you.

I've already read The False Prince and Insignia, but I'd be open to trying Defiance too. . .

message 42: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (new)

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
B.A. wrote: "Riya wrote: "I've actually read or tried all of those series, so could we do a different one??? As long as I haven't read it, I'd be up for anything. By any chance would you be interested in readin..."

Well if the Darkest Minds works out, then we should definitely do that!! Have you read any of the books yet?? Because I just have the last one left, and can definitely read that one soon.

message 43: by Zu (new)

Zu | 26 comments I'm sorry guys.
I had to go through a surgery! I am good now...recovering.

I am finishing up Lola tonight and Siege and Storm tomorrow. I will be able to complete the Grisha series by the end of November!
I am really sorry guys.

message 44: by B.A. (new)

B.A. Wilson (bawilson) @Zu Don't be sorry! You are fine! Just rest up and get well! Everyone can contribute however they can. It's all good in the end, because everyone loves to read and would regardless of the challenge. :)

No hurry. I don't even care if we win. I just like having added motivation to finish up series books.

And @Riya, I have the first two Darkest Minds, so I could put those on my list if you want to read the third.

message 45: by Zu (last edited Nov 27, 2014 05:20AM) (new)

Zu | 26 comments @B.A Thank you :D....u r right, it's the best motivation to finish series books

I read the Darkest Minds ..I love this series.

message 46: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (new)

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
Sure B.A. that definitely works for me!!

message 47: by B.A. (new)

B.A. Wilson (bawilson) I love that we use the book covers to track our progress. I know it is nerdy, but it makes me happy to see all the covers of the books we've been reading. This challenge is fun. I've been behind on trilogies forever. :)

Thanksgiving distracted me a bit, and I'm finishing up my 50K for NaNo today. Then I'll try to pick up the pace a bit on my reading. I've had a lot of family time this past week, and it has been very distracting.

How's everyone else doing?

@ZU are you feeling better?

@Riya, you've been a reading machine! Thanks for carrying the team!

message 48: by Zu (last edited Nov 30, 2014 06:28PM) (new)

Zu | 26 comments I am feeling great :D ...Thank u

Yeah me 2...I love how book covers look .... Plus some book covers are gorgeous

Good luck with NaNo.

Both of u guys are "carrying" the team ;)

message 49: by Zu (new)

Zu | 26 comments I am thinking of reading the Gamble Brothers Series

message 50: by Riya, The Ball of Energy :D (last edited Nov 30, 2014 07:41PM) (new)

Riya | 1575 comments Mod
Haha B.A. I totally agree- especially because all the bookcovers are so colorful!! Wow NaNo's pretty intense!
And it's definitely been a teem effort of all of us!!! I think we make a great team :)
In all honesty, I had read maybe 3-5 books in the entire two months prior to this challenge (compared to my average of like 20 books a month from before September), so this challenge was fantastic since it got me to start reading a ton again!

« previous 1