Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 11 comments Hi! Anyone have experience with Bookbzz.com? Does it make sense to have a paid listing?

message 2: by Mellie (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 541 comments What do you get for your money? And ask yourself is it a site being used by readers, or by authors trying to sell to other authors?

message 3: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2165 comments I've never heard of it but A.W makes a good point. I've seen a few sites where there's more authors promoting to other authors then there is readers. The best thing is to make sure, it's legit and if it is that it works for you.

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 11 comments Thanks! I'm going to stick with the free listing for now and watch if I see the site promoted anywhere.

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 11 comments L.b. wrote: "I pay something like $7.50 for the enhanced features, but I noticed a definite upswing in sales using some of the tools therein (such as a read five chapters free, and facebook and other social med..."

Thanks for the insight, L.b.!

message 6: by Philip (new)

Philip Rebensburg | 1 comments any news on bookbzz? They seem to have vanished after their prize writer competition...

message 7: by Paul (last edited Mar 23, 2015 10:51AM) (new)

Paul Harry (epawar) | 15 comments I am curious about that as well. The site is definitely down. I emailed them several days ago and have heard nothing back. It makes me suspect.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Stuart | 108 comments I don't need suing so I shall be careful how I put this... just an old proverb I happen to feel like quoting -)

Promises are like pie-crusts, made to be broken.

Not my pie, thank goodness, but I do know somebody very well who would endorse that.

message 9: by Mellie (last edited Mar 23, 2015 04:19PM) (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 541 comments Wow. Doesn't look good. A quick browse of their twitter & FB page and it seems alot of people (including prize winners) are trying to get hold of them and they're not responding.

message 10: by Paul (new)

Paul Harry (epawar) | 15 comments The Bookbzz site seems to be back up, but there is no explanation regarding how or why it was down, or if it's still an operational site. Weird.

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex Morritt (alexmorritt) | 36 comments I took out a free listing with them a few months back but decided not to run to the extra sum requested for the premium listing, as it wasn't at all clear at the time what added benefits they were offering for that.

I know they had server problems during the competition phase as I received an email to that effect.

Today my listing is showing as per usual:

http://bookbzz.com/impromptu-scribe-a...

I am not aware of it having been out of action for a sustained period. Even major corporations can be down for longer.

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul Harry (epawar) | 15 comments Though the situation is grim and I don't expect much at least Conrad Murray has issued a statement regarding Bookbzz. It would have been nice to see the endeavor succeed, now it's but a lesson of why businesses should incorporate. Of course, Bookbzz hails from a different land and who knows how the rules work there.

message 13: by Bronwyn (new)

message 14: by Paul (new)

Paul Harry (epawar) | 15 comments Well according to Conrad Murray's open letter on the Bookbzz site he hoped to have things cleared up with Bookbzz by April 31st, 2015 a date that will never come, (go figure).

As for myself, I contacted Paypal and was able to get a refund back on my entry fee along with money for my monthly subscription to their service. If you haven't already I would suggest you do the same. Good luck.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Stuart | 108 comments Paul wrote: "Well according to Conrad Murray's open letter on the Bookbzz site he hoped to have things cleared up with Bookbzz by April 31st, 2015 a date that will never come, (go figure).

As for myself, I con..."

I've said this before, about another "help" to authors: I don't want suing.

I do suggest, strongly, you take Paul's advice.

(If you want the other name, PM me.)