Books on the Nightstand discussion

Elfster Christmas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 120 (120 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2781 comments Mod
I'm wondering if anyone is interested in having a Christmas/holiday gift exchange using Elfster as we did the past two years.

I checked with Ann who feels that she has more work and family obligations than will allow her to oversee this. I was one of her designated elfs last year (with 3 others).

If others are interested, I would still be interested in helping elfs.

I believe that we had a $30 limit last year and that the presents would need to be mailed by December 15, but I have an old and often faulty memory.

Any input is appreciated.

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue | 415 comments I thought it was great last year and would definitely do it again!

message 3: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) | 61 comments Could you explain a bit how it would work? I love gift exchanges, and am definitely interested!

message 4: by Linda (new)

Basically, we used another website called Elfster and everyone who wanted to signed up by a deadline. At the deadline, someone "hits the switch" and the elfster "draws names" and notifies each participant the name of the person to buy for.

Elfster allows for each person to make a wish list. The giver is under no obligation to stick to the wish list.

We also set up a maximum price and a deadline date to send the book-related item(s). You do not have to send a reading book. Some have sent tea or coffee or candies, usually something with a book theme.

Elfster also allows a way to send secret messages to the giftee. I've found that a fun way to send messages.

Did I cover everything?

message 5: by Rachel W (new)

Rachel W (razzle97) | 61 comments That sounds great! I'm in! Thanks for the extra info :)

message 6: by Linda (new)

Here. I found Ann's rules from two years ago. We can discuss the amount of money allowed to be spent.

RULES: Deadline for signup is November 30 at 11:59pm. I will draw the names and you will be notified of your partner on December 1st. Spending limit is $20. Gifts should be books or something reading-related. Please try to avoid gift cards -- a personally chosen gift is much more fun. Give a gift that is of a quality that you would like to receive yourself (meaning, used books are not really cool, unless it's a signed first edition or has some other value...) Please have your gifts in the mail by December 15.

This is an online site that will do the random drawing, allows for anonymous questions to your giftee (like, what categories do you like...) and allows you to keep a wishlist that your secret santa can see (but where's the fun in that??).

If you sign up and live in the US but CANNOT ship interntionally, please send me a private message here, and include your name and email address. I will be able to make sure your receive a US-based recipient. Unfortunately, if you do not live in the US, you will probably have to ship internationally, since I don't think we have a critical mass of members in any one country.

Questions? Give a shout!

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 92 comments I would definitely so this again.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 35 comments This sounds like a lot of fun! I'm interested.

message 9: by EShay (new)

EShay Fagan (eshay11) | 16 comments I did this last year and loved it! I'm in!

message 10: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 261 comments Linda, I forget how we signed up on Elfster to be in this group. Do we need a link or just go to Elfster and search for our group?

message 11: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann | 100 comments Would love to do this again...I feel like I have "met" some wonderful givers and receivers this way. One I have yet to meet personally, but I consider her a friend anyway! (Hi, Jan!) Thank you, Linda, for getting this ball rolling...

Suzanne (Chick with Books) Yester (chickwithbooks) | 13 comments I participated last year and loved it! So much fun! And I would love to do it again. Count me in. I forget how we signed up on Elfster too, but I think we just searched for our group that Anne had put into place there.

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather B (grrarrgh) That sounds like fun; I would love to do that!

message 14: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (westmetromommy) | 107 comments I'd be interested! Sign me up!

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol (ckubala) | 559 comments Mod
Linda wrote: "I checked with Ann who feels that she has more work and family obligations than will allow her to oversee this. I was one of her designated elfs last year (with 3 others).

Are you looking for elves to help? What do the elves do? I don't think you'd have trouble getting participants.

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather | 12 comments I'd love to participate again. Thank you for taking the lead, Linda!

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary | 57 comments I am interested in participating again! Thanks, Linda!

message 18: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollyg113) | 5 comments Count me in!

message 19: by Linda (last edited Nov 03, 2014 11:25AM) (new)

Carol wrote: "Linda wrote: "I checked with Ann who feels that she has more work and family obligations than will allow her to oversee this. I was one of her designated elfs last year (with 3 others).

Are you l..."

Yes, Carol I will be looking for helper elves especially because I'm new at the organizing part of this.

Last year, there were 4 helper elves who answered questions and took care of minor problems. As I recall, it was mostly answering questions.

As far as how we sign up, I THINK that I have to set up a new exchange site for us. After I do that, I will post the link so those interested can sign up.

I wasn't willing to do it before I knew if people were interested. Since it seems that there is interest, I will do that in the next couple of days and let you know where to sign up.

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Lewis | 19 comments Count me in as well! It was tons of fun last year.

message 21: by Tracey (new)

Tracey S (trendytracey1) | 17 comments I took part last year, it was great - would love to do it again this year!

message 22: by Carol (new)

Carol (ckubala) | 559 comments Mod
Linda wrote:Yes, Carol I will be looking for helper elves especially because I'm new at the organizing part of this."

Let me know what you need?

message 23: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 67 comments Yay, I was just thinking about this recently! Thanks Linda :)

message 24: by Lara (new)

Lara | 75 comments I'm in again! I love this tradition, both the sending and the receiving.

message 25: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 109 comments This looks like fun. I will give it a try.

message 26: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
Thanks for taking the lead on this Linda!

message 27: by Erin (new)

Erin (ezridar03) | 36 comments I would be interested in this

message 28: by Erin (new)

Erin (ezridar03) | 36 comments I would be interested in this

message 29: by Liz (new)

Liz This sounds great - count me in! I'm new to the group and wasn't part of last year's event, but it sounds like it was a lot of fun. Thanks for taking the lead, Linda!

message 30: by Tomissa (new)

Tomissa | 18 comments I'm in!!

message 31: by Linda (new)

I have set up the Elfster account for all to sign up to take part in this gift exchange.

I set a limit of $25.00 for the exchange. I did this thinking it would be about the price of a hardback book, if that is what you want to send.

The sign up will be until November 30, 2014. I will "push the button" on December 1, 2014.

If you do not want to mail internationally, this includes Canada, please let me know so I can make the necessary changes.

Carol, I accept your offer to help. Mostly it will be to help answer any questions that may arise. It was not a big deal last year as I recall.

This is a brand new exchange, so if you took part in past years, you are not included in this year's. Everyone who wants to take part needs to sign up.

Please feel free to let your BOTNS friends know this is happening. Spread the word. I'll also post it on the Facebook Booktopia page.

If there is anything I forgot, please send me a nice note and I will do my best to rectify.

Here is the link to sign up:

http://www.elfster.com/exchange/view/...

message 32: by Mary (new)

Mary | 57 comments Thanks so much for organizing this. I would offer to help but I will be the one asking the questions!

message 33: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I've done this for the past two years. It's great fun picking something wonderful for the recipient and waiting for your own package to arrive. Thanks, Linda, for taking the helm!

message 34: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Pagan | 11 comments Count me in. I enjoyed participating last year. It is fun to see what comes in the mail!

message 35: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (tracemick) | 217 comments Linda wrote: "I have set up the Elfster account for all to sign up to take part in this gift exchange.

I set a limit of $25.00 for the exchange. I did this thinking it would be about the price of a hardback boo..."

Linda, thank you for taking the lead. I can help too!

message 36: by Linda (new)

Tracey wrote: "Linda wrote: "I have set up the Elfster account for all to sign up to take part in this gift exchange.

I set a limit of $25.00 for the exchange. I did this thinking it would be about the price of ..."

Thanks, Tracey. I'll issue a "badge". ;)

message 37: by Julie (new)

Julie M (woolyjooly) | 272 comments I would love to participate this year. Thanks, Linda and Carol! ~ Julie

message 38: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 35 comments Thank you, Linda and all helper elves for organizing this!

message 39: by Linda (new)

First of all, I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving.

Secondly, there are only a few days left to sign up for the Secret Santa exchange. Sign up ends on Sunday, November 30.

message 40: by Vera (new)

Vera (vvrcpa) | 68 comments Thanks Linda! I thought I missed it! And Happy Thanksgiving to you too!!

message 41: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (goodreadscomwhodunitpundit) | 6 comments Linda I want to sign up. How do I do it.

message 42: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (tracemick) | 217 comments I just want to make sure everyone is signing up in the right group. Here's the link

http://www.elfster.com/group/view/125...

message 43: by Kate (new)

Kate | 269 comments Just signed up! Thanks for the reminder. This ihas been one of my favorite gifts to buy the past couple of years. Thanks Linda and the other elf helpers!

message 44: by Marly (new)

Marly | 152 comments Tracey when I went to the link above, it said I do not have access.

message 45: by Linda (new)

Marly wrote: "Tracey when I went to the link above, it said I do not have access."

Marly and Wendy,

Try this and PLEASE let me know when you get in, I'll hold off "pushing the button" until you do.

http://www.elfster.com/exchange/view/...

message 46: by Marly (new)

Marly | 152 comments You rock Linda!
I'm in. Thank you.

message 47: by Linda (new)

Thanks for letting me know, Marly.

Wendy, did you get in?

message 48: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Pagan | 11 comments I rejoined Elfster but could not find our exchange.

message 49: by Liz (new)

Liz Got my assignment this morning and am looking forward to shopping from the wishlist (x2 as most of them are books I'd like to read, too...)! As I'm a newbie, I just want to clarify - I shop and send to the address the person has listed in Elfster, correct? Should I do anything about marking the item as purchased on the wishlist, or is that too spoilery?

:)
Liz

message 50: by Mary (new)

Mary | 57 comments Got my assignment. Thank you to Linda for organizing this!
When I sign up on my wish list is there a way to "wish" for something general? I collect bookmarks and book related Xmas tree ornaments but I wonder if I have to wish for something specific like a book title.

« previous 1 3