Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Vegan Cookbooks > Thug Kitchen

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyvoels) Opinions? I've borrowed it from my library and will admit that I giggle a bit when reading. I think all the swearing is a brilliant marketing gimmick that will probably get old really fast, but the four recipes I've made so far have all been good and I see a lot of others
I want to try. Probably best for beginners, I may give a copy to my sister for Christmas since she does not like, or feel comfortable, cooking. This may be something that works for people like her. Your thoughts?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I hadn't heard of this one. When I get to a computer I'll look it up. I'm also curious about what others think.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Is it a 100% vegan cookbook?

I'll add it to our shelves if it is, and take a look at it for myself too.

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 3 comments I have this cookbook and love it! I've only made 3-4 recipes so far, but each one has been wonderful.

message 5: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyvoels) Lisa - yes, it is 100% vegan.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Yay! Thanks, Tracy. Adding it now.

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (s_lowe) | 5 comments I borrowed this book from the library and I love it, so now it is on my wishlist. Everything I have made from it tastes pretty good and I will make again. I found all the swearing hilarious at first and then I didn't even notice it. I bought the book for my friend (who isn't vegan) but thought he might like it because of the way it is presented and he loves it :)

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Thanks, Stephanie. Great to know. I'm waiting for my library copy.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Thanks for the feedback so far, Don. I have it on reserve at the library. I guess if they're trying to catch attention with profanity, I'd expect there to be a lot of it.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (finegael) | 9 comments I have mine on reserve at the library; there's a long waiting list. Looking forward to finally having my name come up on the list.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Jennifer wrote: "I have mine on reserve at the library; there's a long waiting list. Looking forward to finally having my name come up on the list."

Same here, Jennifer. I'm just happy that my library gets most of the new vegan cookbooks!

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Don, I love that there is interest in vegan cookbooks and don't mind long queues the way I might for a novel I want to read.

message 13: by Barry (new)

Barry (bobsywoo) | 117 comments The recipes look great (the chickpea and broccoli burrito looks lovely). I'm not sure I get all the cussin' and hollerin'. It's different I suppose. Not saying I'm prudish or anything but if I'm swearing in the kitchen it isn't because I'm enjoying food, more my hands are on fire or a recipe has been disastrous! There is some pretty good content on their site for those interested though.

message 14: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyvoels)  photo imagejpg1_zps605393a2.jpg I now own the book, and recently made the Spiced Chickpea Wrap. It was easy and I loved the tahini dressing. The wraps I bought were too heavy, so it ended up being a salad. I ate leftovers over brown rice and quinoa which was just as good. I cut the recipe in half and ended up with three portions instead of two. Over the holidays I made the crunchy millet peanut butter buckeyes and they were gone so fast there are no pictures - the millet made them. I had to go to a health food store for it, but it was totally worth it. I will definitely be making those again...

message 15: by Lisa (last edited Jan 08, 2015 04:37PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Ha ha ha. I'm reading it now. The recipes look great. I'm actually amused, but the profanity is profuse, laid on very thick. I have no doubt that it will turn off many but hopefully not away from the recipes and I'm thinking there are some cookbook readers/users who might be especially attracted to this book.

message 16: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyvoels) Don wrote: "Looks great Tracy."

Thanks Don. By the way, I stole your great photo technique of taking the pic next to the cookbook. Maybe my next pic will be in focus...

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (finegael) | 9 comments Lisa wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I have mine on reserve at the library; there's a long waiting list. Looking forward to finally having my name come up on the list."

Same here, Jennifer. I'm just happy that my li..."

Mine came in yesterday. Actually made the banana pancakes this morning for breakfast. Not terribly impressed with the texture, but the banana flavor was good.

message 18: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyvoels) Looks good Don. I still have yet to make anything with tempeh...

On another note, take a picture of a dish you've made from this cookbook for a chance to win an 8 inch Shun knife. Picture quality not judged! Here are the rules:

http://www.thugkitchen.com/cookbook_c...

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan | 11 comments I just checked this book out of my library. I think the language and presentation is a fun way to promote eating vegetables. I never would have thought that something so punk would be so low fat.

Last night, I made the pumpkin chili and it was good. The pumpkin is not a strong flavor. It just needs a little bit of salt and would go well with tortilla chips. I also made the breakfast greens. I quite liked those and I would make them again.

Their tacos, soups, and breakfast items are what I am most interested in. Next, I am going to make those chickpea broccoli tacos.

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Susan, The pumpkin chili is one of the top 5 great looking recipes for me in the book.

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (finegael) | 9 comments Lisa wrote: "Susan, The pumpkin chili is one of the top 5 great looking recipes for me in the book."

Ditto. I copied it out of the library book and bought the pumpkin at the store to make it this upcoming week.

message 22: by John (new)

John Kennedy (KitopiaClub) | 3 comments Don wrote: "tempeh peanut noodles with blanched kale - This was o.k. Using kale in this dish instead of something like napa cabbage or bok choy is a nice change from the routine.

"

That tempeh peanut noodles looks so good.. Too good in fact. I'm in the last couple of days of the Master Cleanse and can't wait to try it!

message 23: by John (new)

John Kennedy (KitopiaClub) | 3 comments Don wrote: "I'm sure during a cleanse dog food would look good. LOL.....

Let us know how you like it John if you try it."

Don, I could really eat anything right now. It's my last day of a 14 day cleanse. Eating tomorrow so not long to wait now. I've lived on lemons cayenne pepper and maple syrup long enough. :)

message 24: by ReGina (new)

ReGina (regifabulous) | 3 comments This is an excellent cookbook, and I enjoyed several recipes from it. However, the profanity is really over the top for me. I try to watch my language, and it was uncomfortable for me to read. I also found myself getting angrier or feistier as I read it. Cooking usually soothes me, so that was an unexpected consequence as well. Definitely check it out but just be ready for it.

message 25: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks ReGina wrote: "This is an excellent cookbook, and I enjoyed several recipes from it. However, the profanity is really over the top for me. I try to watch my language, and it was uncomfortable for me to read. I..."

I don't mind some coarse language, but the supposed over-use of profanity makes me not want to consider purchasing this book. And I am by no means prudish, but have issues with over-use of profanity and other such "fads"

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) ReGina, Ha! I knew what to expect and thought I'd be find with it, but I ended up REALLY noticing it, and different people will think different things about it, but I definitely didn't find it soothing!

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Gundula, The recipes are so good though. But there are way too many cookbooks out there to actually use, so if this one will bother you, it's not a necessary one.

message 28: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Don wrote: "The profanity is unnecessary and overused...every recipe, every page, over and over, and a big turn off. That said, it's a good cookbook."

It really is too bad that there has to be profanity on every page and in every recipe, sigh.

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Don, you and I are the same re preferring thick and preferring spicy!!

This dish looks/sounds delicious.

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Oh, that looks good too, Don. I like chickpea hummus but I'm really picky about how I like it. I've tried many when out that I don't like at all. I can't imagine not like it made with white beans.

message 31: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Fields (jlfields) | 57 comments Don wrote: "But perhaps Asians eat this way.."

Yep! It's a very macrobiotic-style breakfast!

message 32: by Renee (new)

Renee Thompson (reneethompson) | 65 comments Manybooks wrote: "Don wrote: "The profanity is unnecessary and overused...every recipe, every page, over and over, and a big turn off. That said, it's a good cookbook."

It really is too bad that there has to be pro..."

The profanity was funny at first, but now it's just annoying.