Horror Aficionados discussion

Short Stories > Best Horror Anthologies ?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 325 comments What might be considered some of the "best" horror anthologies, either current or out-of-print ?

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) I loved all of the Mammoth Book collections. There were several Horror of the Year ones, a zombie one, a frankenstein one, a vampire one, a werewolf one, just tons and the vast majority of it was really great stuff. I also liked The Oxford Book of Gothic TalesBook of the DeadSplatterpunks II: Over the EdgeThe Dark DescentI Shudder at Your TouchLove in Vein: Twenty Original Tales of Vampiric Erotica

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 15 comments Last year I read Gothic Tales by Elizabeth Gaskell. Not strictly horror, but some of the tales were very spooky and had supernatural elements.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 325 comments Amanda wrote: "I loved all of the Mammoth Book collections. There were several Horror of the Year ones, a zombie one, a frankenstein one, a vampire one, a werewolf one, just tons and the vast majority of it was r..."

Amanda wrote: "I loved all of the Mammoth Book collections. There were several Horror of the Year ones, a zombie one, a frankenstein one, a vampire one, a werewolf one, just tons and the vast majority of it was r..."

collections. There were several Horror of the Year ones, a zombie one, a frankenstein one, a vampire one, a werewolf one, just tons and the vast majority of it was r..."

Thanks Jon,

Overall, was the "Shadows" series made up of "original" stories to these collections, no reprints from other, earlier sources?

message 8: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Bob wrote: "Amanda wrote: "I loved all of the Mammoth Book collections. There were several Horror of the Year ones, a zombie one, a frankenstein one, a vampire one, a werewolf one, just tons and the vast major..."

As far as I can tell, they were all original stories.

message 9: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Bielawa | -51 comments I love the Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural, edited by Herbert Wise and Phyllis Fraser.

A close second up is Strange and Fantastic Stories, edited by Joseph Margolies.

But I agree with Justin that Dark Descent is excellent, too!

message 10: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments I'd like to second Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural. My father gave it to me years ago when I was around twelve. Scared the daylights out of me. I'm fifty-six now and still dip into it. I've read many others over the years, of course, but this one is still pipping them at the post.

message 11: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) I loved the Big Book of Ghost Stories and next I am going to start the Mammoth Book of Haunted House Stories soon.

message 12: by John (last edited Dec 13, 2014 05:30AM) (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments The Mammoth books are good, and great value for money, but when it comes to individual anthologists, Peter Haining takes some beating. And who hasn't, at one time, owned one of Herbert Van Thal's Pan Books of Horror? There are perhaps three of them which would occupy a space on my "favourite" shelf anytime.

message 13: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 1168 comments Other great anthologists:

Helen Hoke
Joan Kahn
Robert A. Arthur (Jr.) (the "Alfred Hitchcock" of those Alfred Hitchcock anthologies)
Marvin Kaye
Montague Summers

message 14: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments Of course, Shawn! Joan Kahn. I had a few of hers. And Montague Summers. I didn't know about a Robert A. Arthur Jr. being the ghost editor for Hitchcock. I still have quite a few of them. I still have the one which introduced me to Jack Finney's The Body Snatchers. It's called Stories Not For The Nervous...

message 15: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 1168 comments Joan Kahn ruled my Intermediate High School library years (all those "some things..." anths), Arthur ruled my youth with the 3 Investigators. Hoke is a fairly recent discovery for me.

message 16: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments I had all the three investigator books. I remember them fondly. My father introduced me to Joan Kahn. Wonderful. I must look into Helen Hoke. And Marvin Kaye for that matter. Thank you, Shawn.

message 17: by Rich (new)

Rich D. (richduncan) | 7 comments I highly recommend picking up any of the anthologies released by Grey Matter Press. I have read all of them except for one and they have all be great. Also, Suspended In Dusk, which was edited by Simon Dewar.

message 18: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments Thank you, Rich, I will check Grey Matter Press out. Meanwhile, I have just this minute purchased Suspended in Dusk on my Kindle. Watch this space...

message 19: by Mike (new)

Mike As a teen, I enjoyed M.R. James' ghost story anthologies, which consisted of more than ghost stories. Great prose from late 1800's to early 20th century.

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (queenjaneapproximately) | 6 comments One that I thought was a lot of fun was Rigor Amortis, a book of horror erotica. The stories are well written, and there's some gory art in there too.
If you're a sicko like me it's definitely worth checking out!

message 21: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 13 comments Although its remit is The Weird most of it could be seen as horror and The Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories is a landmark anthology that will give anyone who gets a copy of it lots of pleasure. It is huge as well so there is plenty of meaty reading in it.

message 22: by John (new)

John (frayerbanac) | 336 comments Just had a look at some of the reviews of The Weird. I have got to get it!

message 23: by William (last edited Dec 20, 2014 01:47PM) (new)

William (williemeikle) McCauley's Dark Forces is the one that really opened my eyes to modern horror, way back when

Dark Forces: New Stories of Suspense and Supernatural Horror

oops, I see Jon beat me to it up at the top of the thread...

And folks, could we please at least try to keep a distinction between collections ( single author ) and anthologies (multi author ). It's something Amazon seem to have ignored, but it annoys the hell out of me to see the anthology league tables clogged with collections ( and vice versa )

message 24: by Justin (new)

Justin | 34 comments This is the first book that got me interested in horror fiction and short stories.
My Favorite Horror Story

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments I'm actually reading a funny, weird anthology right now that's with zombie and romance mixture. Bought from Bandit here on Horror Afficiandos ;) It's cute so far.

Hungry for Your Love An Anthology of Zombie Romance by Lori Perkins

message 26: by Michael (new)

Michael | 6 comments For everyone that loved The Dark Descent, Hartwell's follow-up anthology Foundations of Fear is well worth looking for. This time around he offers up mostly novellas as opposed to short stories.

message 27: by Phil (new)

Phil (chaoseum) | 776 comments I really liked the Best of Cemetery Dance. Also, any of the Weird Tales anthologies are a good bet, as long as it mostly sticks to the classic material. Rivals of Weird Tales was pretty good too, aside from But Without Horns.

message 28: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Judkins | 1 comments Have to mention, The Children of Old Leech. A great tribute anthology for Laird Barron. The Authors different riffs on Barron's mythos is almost always satisfying. Highly recommend as long as you are familiar with Barron's work.