Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Archive - General > Non-cosy amateur detective?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Larry (new)

Larry Buhl | 15 comments Hi there. I'm looking for a good (recent preferably) crime/detective series that has an amateur sleuth but is NOT a cosy mystery. I'm drawing a blank, but I'm sure y'all have some good suggestions. Thanks.

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) There's the Helen West series by Frances Fyfield where the sleuth is a Crown Prosecuting attorney.

The Carla Day series by Diana O'Hehir where the sleuth works at a elder care facility where her father, a former Egyptologist with Alzheimers, is a resident

The Jade del Cameron series by Suzanne Arruda, a historical mystery series where the sleuth works on safaris

Just a few...

message 3: by Larry (new)

Larry Buhl | 15 comments I knew people would come through, yay.

Let me add another wrinkle: I'm also looking for a series where a minor character in book one becomes the sleuth in book two, and a minor character in book two becomes a sleuth in three and so on...

message 4: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Eaton Larry:

Not meaning to self promote but my new series seems to fit your bill perfectly.

In my Murder Becomes series (not a cozy), the detectives are all architects/designers/urban planners by trade. They are involved in solving the murders for a reason I wont spoil here but they are amateur detectives by accident who use their knowledge of buildings/architecture (and other skills) to crack the case.

You can learn more at: murdermanhattan.com