Romance Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > November 2014 Non-Romance Listening

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) I'm not listening to a non-romance right now. Are you?

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4711 comments Mod
I'm listening to The Distance by Helen Giltrow, narrated by Rachel Atkins. I must say the narrator is making this one a challenge. It's a complicated story with a cast that is hard to category. Her pacing makes it all very convoluted. I had to use the Kindle sample to go back and straighten it all out.
The Distance by Helen Giltrow

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 516 comments I'm listening to Sins of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #4) by Diana Rowland - I've heard this one ends on a cliffhanger so I've got the next book lined up as well although I usually prefer spacing books in a series out.

message 5: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I'm re-listening to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling (this is the 4th time I've read/listened to this book.) The characters are so cute in the first few books.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 516 comments I love HP on audio! Which one are you listening to Jim Dale or Stephen Fry?

message 7: by Melissa (last edited Nov 05, 2014 05:08PM) (new)

Melissa (honeybee73) | 162 comments I just finished listening to You by Caroline Kepnes You and I'm still reeling from it. It's a dark, modern day story of neurotic, erotic obsession and I loved the narrator, Santino Fontana (the voice of the prince in Frozen). I can only hope he narrates more books...

message 8: by D.G. (last edited Nov 06, 2014 03:32AM) (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Lauren wrote: "I love HP on audio! Which one are you listening to Jim Dale or Stephen Fry?"

Jim Dale. I finished the 1st one and now I may relisten to the second. I tried to switch to something else but wasn't much in the mood.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 516 comments D.G. wrote: "Jim Dale. I finished the 1st one and now I may relisten to the second. I tried to switch to something else but wasn't much in the mood. "

I liked both but I though Jim Dale's voices were better. His Dobby is fantastic!

message 10: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 145 comments I prefer Stephen Fry, but I think the ones in Pottermore are Dale? Need to go check.

message 11: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 2027 comments Mod
Listening to And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini

message 12: by V_Nerdbooks (new)

V_Nerdbooks | 58 comments Stephen Fry all the way for me, my little boy however is a Jim Dale fan, he is currently making his way through the series at bedtime with his pillow speaker on (he's only 8 lol)

message 13: by D.G. (last edited Nov 09, 2014 04:27AM) (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I got into the series because of the narration by Jim Dale - before that, I couldn't understand all the hoopla about Harry Potter because I had read book 1 and thought it was OK. But then a friend recommended me to try it in audio and then my eyes were opened!

I don't think I could get used to Fry narrating Potter. I listened to his narration of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and I thought was really good but affected at times.

message 14: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments I just re-listened to Ready Player One by Ernest Cline and enjoyed it as much the second time around. The narration is fantastic and the book is just soo good! Completely recommend it.

Now I'm looking for something light and fantasy related to listen. I'm tempted to continue with Harry Potter 2 but now that I've re-listened to a couple of favorites in a row, I feel like I MUST listen to something new. I have so many audios on my TBL!

message 15: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Ok, I've settled on The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1) by Peter V. Brett . Let's hope it keeps my interest.

message 16: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 145 comments I got into the mood for some Agatha Christie and listened to The Secret of Chimneys and Seven Dials Mystery (had mild romance in both, so not sure if I'm posting in right place. LOL) Hugh Fraser narrated one and enjoyed it. Can't remember who narrated the other, but I liked it, too. But enjoyed them for a change of pace.

message 17: by Samantha (new)

D.G. wrote: "Ok, I've settled on The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1) by Peter V. Brett. Let's hope it keeps my interest."

Let us know how it goes, D.G. I saw some good reviews on it.

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 516 comments Yes, it does look really good. I'll wait for your input D.G.

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments listening to Bones Are Forever - right now (about 3 CD's in) reminds me of her earlier stuff that I really enjoyed - more scientific explaination than crime-solving

message 20: by Samantha (new)

So I decided not to listen to And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini any further. The author is the narrator and I don't like his style. I love his books but not with him doing the audio. I have to request the physical book from the library.

message 21: by Jonetta (new)

Authors narrating their own books are hit or miss for me. Glad you're sticking with the book as I've heard nothing but raves for the story. It's on my shelf, too, so thanks for the feedback.

message 22: by Samantha (new)

Yeah. Just have to read it instead of listen. Haha!

message 23: by Lauri (new)

Lauri Kane D.G. wrote: "I just re-listened to Ready Player One by Ernest Cline and enjoyed it as much the second time around. The narration is fantastic and the book is just soo good! Completely recommend it.

Now I'm..."

I can recommend Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1) by Rysa Walker and Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0 #1) by Scott Meyer is quirky and fun.

message 24: by Ancientpeas (new)

Ancientpeas | 301 comments I'm about to start The World of Ice & Fire The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin and then The Christie Curse (Book Collector Mystery #1) by Victoria Abbott . I'm looking forward to the Ice and fire book and I'm trying out The Christie Curse. Both are from my library through overdrive.

:-) I love the HP books on audio. Listening to them on Audio made me love book 7. After I read the last book I was a little let down but the audio (which I listened to about a year after the last book came out) made me really enjoy and appreciate the last book more (and book 6 too). The Goblet of Fire and the Prisoner of A. remain my favourites. I like Jim Dale very much but I don't care for his female voices very much. His Hermione is very screechy to my ear. Luckily though HP is a mostly male series and his male voices are really good.

message 25: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 145 comments It took me a bit to warm up to Book 7, too. It was actually my son talking about it that made me go, wow, you're right. I miss having new books in the HP world. I hope she really does revisit the world, since she won't let anyone else write in it.

message 26: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Lauren wrote: "Yes, it does look really good. I'll wait for your input D.G."

Sure! I'm almost done with it so I'll be sure to write a review once I'm done with it and post the link here.

message 27: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Lauri wrote: " Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0 #1) by Scott Meyer is quirky and fun."

This sounds perfect! Thanks for the rec, Lauri!

message 28: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 145 comments Not sure if I should post here or on romance link. Bolinda Audio has released four more Georgette Heyer mysteries to Audible. Some have very mild romances. If you search by her name, then release date, they show up.

message 29: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Listening to a childhood favorite...Little Lord Fauntleroy...such a great.

message 30: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments *treat

message 31: by Jonetta (new)

I finished The Distance and it was okay. It's highly acclaimed but there was a lot missing for me. The ending was a disappointment. The narration was okay, too. There weren't any voice distinctions for characters and this book has a huge cast that aren't developed clearly. Took me two weeks to get through the book.

message 32: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiemb) | 415 comments The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa, was just released on Audible. I've been waiting for this one since April. Sadly, I probably can't get to it until the weekend or next week, but at least it's finally available.

message 33: by Samantha (new)

I did start The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd which is narrated by Jenna Lamia and Adepero Oduye.

message 34: by Dee (last edited Nov 21, 2014 10:21AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments listening to Personal Effects - YA, coming of age, GLBT, war, death of a sibling

message 35: by Samantha (new)

Listening to Dawn (The Night Trilogy, #2) by Elie Wiesel which is only 3 hours. I should be able to finish it up tomorrow while running around.

message 36: by Jonetta (new)

I'm listening to Sandstorm by James Rollins.
Sandstorm (Sigma Force, #1) by James Rollins

message 37: by Moriah (new)

Moriah | 497 comments Needed a break from romance so I listened to Blue Labyrinth (Pendergast, #14) by Douglas Preston . I think it my favorite book in the Agent Pendergast series. I loved how Constance finally came into her own.

message 38: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Closing this thread as it's time for a December thread

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.