The Sword and Laser discussion

The Slow Regard of Silent Things (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2.5)
This topic is about The Slow Regard of Silent Things
The Kingkiller Chronicles > The Slow Regard of Silent Things

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new) - added it

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments I've just finished The Wise Man's Fear and knew the author had just released a short story about Auri. I just picked up the audible book. It will be interesting to hear Patrick Rothfuss reading the story since Nick Podehl is the voice in my head for this fantasy universe. The book seems fairly short. Can't wait to hear what people think. I anticipate finishing it by the end of this week without trying hard.

terpkristin | 4132 comments I'm going to finish today. I'm really enjoying it, though I can see how some people wouldn't. Auri is one of my favorite characters in any book I've read, and to see this character, probably on the autism spectrum and a little OCD, it's not a character you often see. I like getting this glimpse into her world.

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments I'll be starting this shortly. Can't wait read it.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 1 comments I just finished reading it. Make sure you read Books 1 and 2 before reading this or you will not appreciate it as much.

message 5: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6740 comments Mod
I thought it was OK, but it certainly wasn't the book I was hoping for (and no, that's not book 3).

However, I found the author's note at the end condecending and unnecessary.

David H. (farrakut) | 908 comments It's definitely a different story from what we've seen from Rothfuss, but definitely a fascinating one. Getting into Auri's head is a bit trippy, and I bounced off the beginning pretty hard before forcing myself to continue reading. It eventually sunk in.

I can definitely see why people wouldn't like the introduction & author's note, but I didn't mind. I told my friend about this book right before I started it, and after I finished it, I felt I needed to warn him how different from The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear it is.

Now I need to read "The Lightning Tree" once I get my hands on the anthology . . .

message 7: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6740 comments Mod
Personally I liked Lightning Tree a lot more. Definitely worth reading.

David H. (farrakut) | 908 comments Over on Reddit, someone made a diagram of all the rooms that Auri has mentioned in the Under Thing: the thread in question.

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments So I enjoyed it as I went through although I didn't understand it, kind of like a dream. I was hoping to learn more about Auri's past. While I feel I know her ways and thoughts better, I was not able to put together any new information about her. I'm hoping more observant readers will be able to put together some clues.

Israel | 80 comments I loved the story and I have been recommending it using much of the same warnings that are in the author's note.

The only things I think we can say about her past is that she was an Alchemy focused student and she still has easy access to an alchemical supply room. Anybody get more?

David H. (farrakut) | 908 comments I think with the nature of how this story came about, I feel that Rothfuss is going to leave any of the really juicy tidbits for Book 3 (The Doors of Stone). Which makes sense, really, since even if we the readers can't read Book 3, Pat knows exactly what will be in it. So this novella is much more of a "treat" than a necessity to the plot (or lack thereof...?). So we get an internal look at her thoughts, some vague clues about her past, and some nice conjunction points with The Wise Man's Fear (with which this story is contemporaneous).

Honestly, what I really really want to see is Jo Walton's deconstruction of this story (and "The Lightning Tree") on Tor.com; her re-read/analysis of the series has been nothing short of phenomenal.

Rob Secundus (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments Something I posted on the reread at Tor:

I think there's one important thing people haven't picked upon. The Underthing is a Renaissance Era city. Like everywhere else in the present of the 4C. The description the bedroom Auri finds could just as easily fit any inn we've seen Denna stay at.

We expect the Underthing to be either:
A) something very old from earlier in 4C civilization, and thus a medieval or classical place
B) something from before the Creation War, and thus something resembling the kinds of places Felurian describes

A) is clearly not the case, because it's Ren era stuff. B) seems to not be the case, because everything is mundane, not magical, and there appear to be little to no cultural differences between the people that lived there and the people living now.

I mean really, if you are able to Shape super duper fancy apple-glowy trees out of nothing, are you going to be heading down the street to buy your lady love a nice bottle of perfume, with a quaint message scratched onto it (which either is written in modern Aturan, or else Auri can read ancient languages, either of which is significant).

It really seems to me that the Underthing is something weirder and/or more special than we've previously thought. My pet theory right now-- it is tightly connected to the world as a whole in some way. It is ren era tech because the world has gotten up to ren era tech. And Auri mending it is in a way helping to mend the broken world. Maybe that mending explains a lot of what is going on in the world. Why do the Chandrian start making a fuss, striking 3 times at least in a few years, when such strange incidents seem *radically* drawn out other times? Why do a billion crazy random happenstances hapen to Kvothe, directing him on this very specific Chandrian-and-Amyr laden path? Why does everything eventually go wrong? Maybe it's been Auri's work since she's been down there, and maybe, at some point, she's no longer there to take care of the world.

Maybe, after Kvothe has engaged in a bit too much regicide, he takes her up on her offer. And he discovers Black Door. Maybe that leads to him killing an angel like he burned down Trebon.

Some thoughts.