Black Coffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly book nominations > First 2015 Nominations! January Afrofuturism

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Londa (last edited Nov 02, 2014 10:52AM) (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Can you believe it? It's time to pick our first books for 2015!

We will be doing things a little differently this year. We will only have one poll. The top two books will be read for 6 weeks. We will explain more in detail later, but for now....

Thanks to A.D who won 3rd place in the 3rd Quarter Participation Lottery our theme is...

AFROFUTURISM

Here are some great websites about Afrofuturism

http://afrofuturism.net/literature/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrofutu...

And I have started a listopia here..
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...

message 2: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Please nominate one (1) book that fits the theme.

Poll will be posted on 11/15!

message 3: by A.D. (new)

A.D. Koboah (adkoboah) | 261 comments I was going to nominate Dawn by Octavia Butler but I've decided to go with Kindred by Octavia Butler instead which I haven't read yet and is the one people rave about the most.

message 4: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Kindred is a great book. We read it as a group read in January of this year. :0) Maybe you could start a buddy read for it.

Here is a list of all of our previous group reads
https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Do you want to go with Dawn instead?

message 5: by A.D. (new)

A.D. Koboah (adkoboah) | 261 comments I didn't realise you guys had already read "Kindred." I'll go with "Dawn" instead and just add to the thread you guys have for "Kindred" as soon as I get round to reading it:-)

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments I'm glad you posted explanation links, Londa, because I had no idea what that was. xD

A.D., I haven't read Kindred either. It's on my list! I've been wanting to read Octavia Butler for awhile now.

message 7: by amber (new)

amber (thelittlematchgirl) | 13 comments I'll nominate Brown Girl in the Ring.

message 8: by A.D. (new)

A.D. Koboah (adkoboah) | 261 comments Anastasia wrote: "I'm glad you posted explanation links, Londa, because I had no idea what that was. xD

A.D., I haven't read Kindred either. It's on my list! I've been wanting to read Octavia Butler for awhile now."

I discovered Octavia Butler through Goodreads. I honestly don't know how I survived without her books:-D

message 9: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) | 2489 comments Mod
amber wrote: "I'll nominate Brown Girl in the Ring."

I just picked this book up recently! It was .50 at a thrift store.

message 10: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Thanks A.D. and amber for your nominations. Both sound like great books.

I am having a hard time choosing. So many interesting story lines.

Anastasia Kinderman | 942 comments A.D. wrote: "Anastasia wrote: "I'm glad you posted explanation links, Londa, because I had no idea what that was. xD

A.D., I haven't read Kindred either. It's on my list! I've been wanting to read Octavia B..."

I joined this group right as they finished up reading Kindred, which is how I was introduced to her. Still sorry I didn't join earlier and participate in that read!

message 12: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments Lulu wrote: "amber wrote: "I'll nominate Brown Girl in the Ring."

I just picked this book up recently! It was .50 at a thrift store."

What a great deal!
This was the first book I read by Nalo Hopkinson.

message 13: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1078 comments A.D. wrote: "I didn't realise you guys had already read "Kindred." I'll go with "Dawn" instead and just add to the thread you guys have for "Kindred" as soon as I get round to reading it:-)"

Dawn was the first book I read by Octavia Butler. And while I love all of her work - this is one of my favs.

message 14: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Nominating

Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor
Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor

In a far future, post-nuclear-holocaust Africa, genocide plagues one region. The aggressors, the Nuru, have decided to follow the Great Book and exterminate the Okeke. But when the only surviving member of a slain Okeke village is brutally raped, she manages to escape, wandering farther into the desert. She gives birth to a baby girl with hair and skin the color of sand and instinctively knows that her daughter is different. She names her daughter Onyesonwu, which means "Who Fears Death?" in an ancient African tongue.

Reared under the tutelage of a mysterious and traditional shaman, Onyesonwu discovers her magical destiny-to end the genocide of her people. The journey to fulfill her destiny will force her to grapple with nature, tradition, history, true love, the spiritual mysteries of her culture-and eventually death itself.

message 15: by amber (new)

amber (thelittlematchgirl) | 13 comments Lulu wrote: "amber wrote: "I'll nominate Brown Girl in the Ring."

I just picked this book up recently! It was .50 at a thrift store."

I've had it sitting on my shelf for a couple of years, and every time I see it I think I should read it, and then I don't. It's time to fix that.

message 16: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments There is still time for nominations!

message 17: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Need 1 or 2 more choices for the poll.

So far we have...

Dawn
Brown Girl in the Ring
Who Fears Death

message 18: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) | 2489 comments Mod
I'll nominate The Salt Eaters -- Toni Cade Bambara

message 19: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 1526 comments Thanks for all nominations! You have 2 weeks to vote!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.