The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Specific Book/Author Discussion > Edgar Allan Poe (the King of Terror)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Nov 02, 2014 11:50AM) (new)

Sandy It's a pity that I hadn't discovered this a few days ago, as it would have been perfect Hallowe'en "listening". But, never too late for Edgar Allan Poe. As a teenager, I devoured his work but have largely ignored it for many years. This morning, while listening to Librivox Short Poetry Collection 001, I came across a simply terrific reading of Poe's poem The Tell-Tale Heart. I am sorry that I can't link to it, but Librivox is off-line at the moment. I will try to remember to come back later and try the link again.

message 2: by Melissa (last edited Nov 02, 2014 10:13AM) (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Sandy, I remember reading a few of Poe's short stories and poems in high-school but could not recall my reaction to his pieces other than that they were spooky. It was a nice reintroduction to Poe again after being referred to them from Aitziber. I so enjoyed the three I read in October and decided to add two more this month, The Fall of the House of Usher and The Purloined Letter.

Which one are you going to listen to next?

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Melissa, it's great that you have a renewed interest in Poe's writing. I had sworn off "horror month" and wasn't really looking for his work. I am making an effort to start reading/listening to poetry regularly, and this poem just happened to be in that Librivox collection. Perhaps I ought to consider returning to his work, though. I certainly have enjoyed it in the past.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Sandy, try The Raven, I enjoyed this poem last month.

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Melissa wrote: "Sandy, try The Raven, I enjoyed this poem last month."

Ah yes, I love it. I found a video online a while back of Vincent Price reading it. Wonderful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuGZ_w...

message 6: by Aitziber (new)

Aitziber I love The Tell-Tale Heart. :D

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Thanks for sharing, Sandy, I enjoyed the Vincent Price reading of The Raven. Also, loved seeing Vincent Price once again. Boy, did I enjoy some of those older actors!

message 8: by Cristal (new)

Cristal Punnett Brilliant, thank you for sharing:-)

message 9: by Sandy (last edited Nov 03, 2014 12:27PM) (new)

Sandy Librivox is online again. Here is a link to the reading of "The Tell-Tale Heart". It is absolutely riveting!

http://ia700506.us.archive.org/1/item...

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Thanks Sandy, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Finished "The Fall of the House of Usher" and so far, "The Pit and the Pendulum is my favorite, because it painted the most vivid picture of despair and yet the ending is the best!

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Thanks Iasa, I'll give them a try.

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate I've recently finished reading Dragonwyck which featured Poe as a minor character. I was quite intrigued and would like to read some of his work. It would also allow me to join in with the String mini-challenge! Any recommendations as to where I should start? Thanks.