Shut Up & Read discussion

Archives > Reviewer questions

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 239 comments Hi, this is copied from an author/reader group but I'm curious whether only readers have a different set of answers to authors. People review for all sorts of reasons - but are there similarities? (There are no right or wrong answers.)

Please copy and paste the questions with your answers. I'd love to know.

Name:
Reader/Author/Both

Why do you think you review?

Do you look at other reviews before you buy?

What is the first thing which attracts you to a book?

What turns you off?

Do you rate all books in the same way? (SPA/Trad Pub/Various Genres? Please elaborate - especially if you review different genres in different ways.)

Sort these into order of importance - great plot, great world building, technically perfect, great reviews, factually plausible.

Would you buy a book with no reviews?

Would you buy a book with ONLY 5 star reviews?

Do you have a list of criteria when you review or is it more about how the book made you feel?

Do you follow particular reviewers on GR (don't have to mention names) - do their reviews influence you?

message 2: by Lynxie (last edited Dec 01, 2014 05:07PM) (new)

Lynxie | 13 comments Name: Lynxie (review as Coffee2Words on my blog)
Reader/Author/Both Both

Why do you think you review? Reviewing helps me to put my thoughts on a book into perspective. It also allows me to communicate my thoughts to other readers, and pass on information and feedback to the author. I like to discuss all aspects of writing and the reading experience.

Do you look at other reviews before you buy? Rarely, I sometimes look at them while I'm reading if I have a reaction to a book that seems unexpected.

What is the first thing which attracts you to a book? The first thing to catch my eye when browsing is the cover. Then I read the synopsis.

What turns you off? Poor grammar and spelling, especially when it's in the synopsis.

Do you rate all books in the same way? (SPA/Trad Pub/Various Genres? Please elaborate - especially if you review different genres in different ways.) Yep. I rate the book based upon my enjoyment, the mechanics of writing and overall package of the book (cover/synpsis/content etc).

Sort these into order of importance - great plot, great world building, technically perfect, great reviews, factually plausible. great plot, great world building, technically perfect, factually plausible, great reviews.

Would you buy a book with no reviews? yes, I've done this plenty of times, but it's usually fairly cheap books and mostly indie authors.

Would you buy a book with ONLY 5 star reviews? I have been known to buy these, but it's on far fewer occasions. Normally I would come by these sorts of books by way of a recommendation from someone I know.

Do you have a list of criteria when you review or is it more about how the book made you feel? A bit of both. A big part of it comes down to how I enjoyed/felt about the book, but the mechanics of the writing and plot/world building/cover/synopsis etc comes into my reviews too.

Do you follow particular reviewers on GR (don't have to mention names) - do their reviews influence you? I do follow a number of reviewers on GR, but I rarely pick up a book because they rated it good or not. I do often like to see how my review/ratings compared to theirs after I've read the book.

Great questions :D

message 3: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 239 comments Thanks.

message 4: by Barb (new)

Barb McKinley (36021416-barbmckinley) Name: Barb McKinley

Reader/Author/Both. I am a reader-reviewer.

Why do you think you review? I review because I enjoy and use other review information when deciding on weather a book is something I want to read. Also, I believe that Authors know what I like or dislike in the form of constructive criticism.

Do you look at other reviews before you buy? Yes

What is the first thing which attracts you to a book? The cover will make me stop and read the synopsis. That decides me.

What turns you off? Bad editing. Lack of plotline, confused, disorganized plot.

Do you rate all books in the same way? (SPA/Trad Pub/Various Genres? Please elaborate - especially if you review different genres in different ways.) I follow my own formula and it is the same formula for all genres. I NEVER ISSUE A REVIEW WITH SPOILERS as that irritates me to no end. I try to keep the review shot and informative. I don't read lengthy reviews that ramble on and on and on...

Sort these into order of importance - great plot, great world building, technically perfect, great reviews, factually plausible.

Great plot.
Great World/charachter building
Factually plausible (do I believe it can happen?)
Technically perfect. (I don't believe in perfect) but I do look for it to be well edited as I note all errors that I find in a book. In todays world there is no excuse for a poorly edited book. I have a hard time finishing a book that has numerous errors.
Good reviews

Would you buy a book with no reviews? Absolutely, matter of fact it seems fun to be the early reviewer. I am honest and don't copy other reviews or follow the crowd.

Would you buy a book with ONLY 5 star reviews? I will buy any book if it looks good. I ran across an Author that got mad because I was a stand out review because I wasn't a 5. He wanted to know why I was different and asked me to write specific instances so I went back through the book and did a review for the Author with specifics quoted in the book. He asked me to remove my review from a big book sales company so I did.

Do you have a list of criteria when you review or is it more about how the book made you feel? There are elements of both. For a 5 star book, it must at some point reach me emotionally. Yes I have a formula with a list based upon what I look for in a good book.

Do you follow particular reviewers on GR (don't have to mention names) - do their reviews influence you? No