Clean Reads discussion

Is It Clean? > Louis L'Amour?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella (stardust_126) | 131 comments I am really interested in reading westerns and would like to start reading Louis L'Amour. Does anyone know if he's clean or not?

Aimee (Getting Your Read On) (gettingyourreadon) | 17 comments I went through a Louis L'Amour kick years ago. I read every book I could find. My favorite was The Lonesome Gods. I would not have read them if there was any sex or strong language. There may have been some minor swearing but I can't remember.

message 3: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Hardie | 17 comments My experience was that they were all quite clean.

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sngrant) | 54 comments It have been years since I read a LOT of his books but I can't remember anything. I second The Lonesome Gods. Great book.

message 5: by Roger (new)

Roger Weston | 6 comments Louis L'Amour is one of my favorite authors. His books are full of Judeo-Christian values. You may not realize it at first. It's all in the subtext. He was and remains a very popular author. I was at a library book sale last week and there was a whole bookcase devoted to his books. He was the only author that had his own category. I highly recommend his Sackett series.

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken | 56 comments I've read everything by Louis L'Amour that I could get my hands on. They can get a bit repetitive, but I loved them. Lots of shoot-em-up & bare-knuckle violence, infrequent "Biblical" swearing, and plenty of chivalrous heroes. Fun, fast reads.

Elmer Kelton wrote great westerns also--a bit grittier, but with more depth to his stories and characters. Sex sometimes occurs but is usually merely hinted at and never described. I haven't read them all; my LEAST favorite so far has been Captain's Rangers. The Time it Never Rained was outstanding--I listened to it as an audiobook, narrated by George Guidall.