Reading Adventures Book Club discussion

Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
This topic is about Ruin and Rising
Buddy Reading Pick > Ruin and Rising - 3 - Final Thoughts (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lindsey Rey | 24 comments Mod
***THIS DISCUSSION WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS ON THE END OF THE BOOK***

YAY!!! We finished The Grisha trilogy!!! What are your thoughts on Ruin and Rising? What was your favorite book in the trilogy? Were you happy with how it ended? Is there anything that disappointed you?

Gabrielle (gabplusbook) | 7 comments 3.5

This was definitely the best book out of the trilogy. It was action packed. It didn't lull to me like the other two books. The first tow books were so slow the first 2/3 of the book, and then were really exciting the last third. This book had pretty good pacing.

I have a few problems with Bargudo's writing style. She introduces things out of nowhere and expects the reader to know what she is talking about. Sometimes things happen, and I had to go back a few pages to see if I missed something because whatever happened, happened really fast. I honestly didn't care about the main character Alina too much. My favorite character was Nikolai. I was the most emotionally invest with him and cared about how is character ended.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!
(view spoiler)

Helen German This is not my usual genre, and I hadn't read the first two books in the trilogy. So, I read those first. Didn't want to jump in at the third book. It definitely was a fast read, very YA in feel. Strong female characters which is common in YA fantasy these days. It made me laugh, it made me angry, it made me sad. Isn't a good book supposed to evoke emotion? So, the ending wasn't exactly what I was hoping for but I felt that it worked. I'm not sure that the storyline will stay with me forever, but overall I enjoyed reading the series.

Lindsey Rey | 24 comments Mod
Just finished the book and ended up giving it 3.5 stars. I think that my main problem with the book is that I just didn't care enough for the characters, so I was bored a lot of the time while reading it. I also 110% agree with Gab that the ending was too happy. Like everything worked out perfectly hunky dory and that's that and it just seemed really unrealistic.

Gabrielle (gabplusbook) | 7 comments It's a mediocre series. I'm not really sure I would read anything else by her fantasy wise. I don't care about this new book she is putting out that is based on a city in the book. If she wrote in a different genre, I would try it out, though.

Sara (whoaitssara) | 28 comments Mod
Okay so I also gave this book 3.5 stars and I agree with all three of you! First, I think the ending was too perfect and even though I was happy that she ended up with Mal and that he came back, I would have believed the story more if he didn't come back. If we got to see how Alina rebuilt her life with no Mal and no power, I would have liked the ended so much better. Also I was bored through most of the story too and I didn't care about any of the action or anything really that was going on. I wasn't convinced.

I will agree that as a series it did evoke emotion like what Helen said, but just not enough emotion. I felt like a lot of it was just there because that is what was supposed to happen.

Another thing I wanted to say was that I don't think enough of the fantasy elements came into play, I really didn't believe any of it. If it was any other genre I would have read it the same and I think what separates a fantasy novel is that it can only read as a fantasy. I don't know if that is just me, but I wasn't conceived of the world or the elements of the world.

Overall I would recommend this series if you are just getting into fantasy and want to try the genre out. Other than that I wouldn't say it was a must read!