Reading Adventures Book Club discussion

Bridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1)
This topic is about Bridget Jones's Diary
Lindsey's Book Pick > Bridget Jones's Diary - 1 - January Diary Entries (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindsey (last edited Nov 02, 2014 08:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lindsey Rey | 24 comments Mod
***THIS DISCUSSION WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS ON THE VERY BEGINNING OF THE BOOK INCLUDING ALL OF THE JANUARY DIARY ENTRIES***

This discussion is for your initial thoughts on the book! Please only include spoilers until the end of the January diary entries (last entry Tuesday 24 January).

What are your initial thoughts on the book? Are you enjoying it so far? Do you like the diary entry style format?

Lindsey Rey | 24 comments Mod
I just finished reading all of the January entries and I am really enjoying this book so far! It is taking me a while to get into the writing style: it's a bit on the informal side and sometimes it makes the sentences feel a bit choppy. My favorite diary entry so far is the one for January 15th. I think it says a lot about our society:
"The whole performance is so highly tuned"
"Ugh, ugh. Is it any wonder girls have no confidence?"
"Is probably out with someone thinner."
"What's wrong with me?"
Also I was very happy that she didn't end up having sex with Daniel. "I am not interested in emotional fuckwittage."

Can't wait to see what's going to happen in the rest of the book!

Barb (Boxermommyreads) (boxermommy) Started it today. Did not read your all your comments so I could stay away from spoilers. Finding it a tad difficult to get into but hope to get more read tonight during the Steeler game.

Barb (Boxermommyreads) (boxermommy) Ok. This book is ok so far. I remember seeing the movie years ago, but wasn't Bridget really overweight? I am slightly appalled that she is obsessing over her weight and she is under 130 pounds.

message 5: by Norma (new)

Norma I was kind of intimidated because this is my first time reading a book in diary entry style format, but I'm hanging in there and the story has been good so far.

I think it was really messed up that Daniel didn't told her he just wanted to have fun BEFORE bringing her to his apartment. >:/

I'm also happy that she didn't have sex with him and I loved it how she parted ways with him. :P

Alli Brooks (allibrooks) | 4 comments I agree that there is an adjustment period needed to get used to the writing style. I think once you get used to it and also get used to Bridget as a narrator, it becomes really easy to fly through.

On a more speculative note: I know this is supposed to be based, however loosely, on Pride and Prejudice but I'm not really getting a Elizabeth Bennet vibe from Bridget. To me she seems more like a Lydia type character. Maybe this changes in later entries?

I also do rather enjoy the fact she didn't have sex with Daniel. He seems like a douche nozzle.

Stefani (readwithstefani) I finished the book already. Loved it :D :D thanks for choosing it Lindsey :D

I'm hesitant about reading the other 2 book though. Are you guys going to read them all?

Barb (Boxermommyreads) (boxermommy) I have thought about reading the rest eventually, but I don't know. I am only half way through and am not sold on it yet.