Sci-Fi & Fantasy Girlz discussion

God Stalk (Kencyrath, #1)
This topic is about God Stalk
Group Reads > November/December 2014 Group Read: God Stalk

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yoly (new) - added it

Yoly (macaruchi) | 794 comments Discuss!
Please don't forget the spoiler tag.

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 39 comments Another great pick.
P.C. Hodgell.

message 3: by L.E. (new)

L.E. Watson The descriptions are certainly well-written. The first chapter was slightly bewildering, but now that I’ve reached the third chapter I’m starting to get absorbed in the story. I hope I continue to enjoy it, since I purchased an e-book version on Amazon UK called the Godstalker Chronicles which contains both this book and its sequel...

message 4: by Yoly (new) - added it

Yoly (macaruchi) | 794 comments Louisa wrote: " I purchased an e-book version on Amazon UK called the Godstalker Chronicles which contains both this book and its sequel..."

Thank you so much for this information!

I had been looking at the single version of God Stalk which is not available on Kindle. The one you mentioned, Godstalker Chronicles is.

If anyone else is interested, here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A...

I guess I'll start with this one.

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 39 comments I love how it starts, and how you slowly get a bigger picture. I am going by memory here, as I have yet to find my copy. Hopefully, I'll be able to find it soon, so I can confirm that memory.
:-)

Gary | 1471 comments One of the things that always amuses me about reading fantasy is the pronunciation of the fantasy names.

So, in this case, there's Jame, which I'm confident is Jay-mee. But "Kencyrath" is probably ken-serRATH, but could be ken-SEERath, or kinserath all lumped together. Then there's "Tai-tastigon" which I'm fairly certain has to be "tie" like Thai food, and the emphasis on the first syllable of the second bit after the hyphen. Tie-TAStigon.

I poked around a bit for a pronunciation guide, but didn't have much luck. All I found was the Q&A section on the author's website that notes that Gerridon is pronounced "with a soft g as in jerry."

That Q&A page comes with a spoiler warning, so (view spoiler).

Gary | 1471 comments Louisa wrote: "The first chapter was slightly bewildering, but now that I’ve reached the third chapter I’m starting to get absorbed in the story."

Aside from the opening cast of characters (which is longer than any of Shakespeare's plays...) the first chapter has an awful lot of info dumping. Glad to hear that gets better. I suppose it'd have to taper off pretty soon....

Gary | 1471 comments I'm getting a very cinematic impression of this one in the early chapters. Her writing is very visual or, at least, I'm finding the descriptions to evoke a lot of imagery.

message 9: by Brenda ╰☆╮ (last edited Nov 21, 2014 07:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 39 comments I finally found my copy. It was hidden in a dark corner of my book closet.
Starting it today!
:)

message 10: by Yoly (new) - added it

Yoly (macaruchi) | 794 comments I'm finally halfway through this one, and I don't feel lost anymore. I'm really enjoying it now. For the first few chapters I was kind of lost in the story, specially the characters. I had to go back and forth with the cast of characters list in order to keep up!

I found this wiki which is more convenient than going back to the first pages :)

http://kencyr.wikia.com/wiki/God_Stalk

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 39 comments I don't remember being confused my first time reading this, but for some reason I felt I had missed something now that re~read it.

I'm kind of going back over it, yet again.
:-)

message 12: by Gary (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gary | 1471 comments I found this one kind of hard to follow also, particularly the first third of it or so. There's a lot going on there!

The pace is really fast--nearly convoluted. At first, I was thinking it was cinematic, but I think it'd be better described as being like the novelization of a video game, if I can say that without it sounding dismissive. I don't mean it that way.

message 13: by Yoly (new) - added it

Yoly (macaruchi) | 794 comments I have to admit that I think I may have a problem with weird names in fantasy books because I had a similar problem with Dragonflight when I started reading it.

I agree that there is too much going on that first third of the book.

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 39 comments You kind of have to pick a pronunciation that works for you, and stick with it.
Not that it works for meeeee....a 100% of the time!
;)

message 15: by L.E. (new)

L.E. Watson I was just wondering — will there be a ‘final thoughts’ thread for this book, like there was with the last group read, or is the whole discussion going to take place here?

message 16: by Gary (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gary | 1471 comments We could start up another thread....

message 17: by Yoly (new) - added it

Yoly (macaruchi) | 794 comments We now have a spoiler friendly thread for this book:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...