Sci-Fi & Fantasy Girlz discussion

Sword-Dancer (Tiger and Del, #1)
This topic is about Sword-Dancer
Group Reads > November/December 2014 Group Read: Sword-Dancer

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Yoly (macaruchi) | 794 comments Discuss!
Please don't forget the spoiler tag.

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 39 comments I've got my work cut out for me, these coming months.
Love, love, love....Jennifer Roberson.
She is not often seen (by me anyway) here on Goodreads.
Better get my lineup started.

message 3: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 3 comments This is a truly fun book, I've enjoyed every one of them. As an extra bonus: Jennifer knows her horses. The Stud is as hilarious a character as any you will ever meet in the printed word.

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 39 comments I had forgotten about The Stud.

Finished this up the other day.
Though Dell is not a typical woman in this series and it is mentioned throughout, I am not sure the story goes into much detail with this introductory book.

She is still a bit of a mystery.

Gary | 1471 comments OK, I got my hands on this one, but I'm reading God-Stalk at the moment, so this is next on the agenda.

Judging the book by the cover: I like it. It's the kind of thing I definitely would have picked up in my youth. In fact, I'm a little surprised I didn't given the date it was published. I was devouring fantasy books 3-5/week back in those days....

message 6: by Gary (last edited Dec 02, 2014 02:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary | 1471 comments I'm finding this one a much more approachable read than God-Stalk. That might be my fault. I picked up that one thinking it was going to be something else entirely.... Honestly, I'm finding this one to be something of a relief to read after getting lost amongst the deities and detritus.

So far, SD is a pretty straight up romance/adventure story: (Swarthy) Boy meets (Blonde) Girl on walkabout. Girl is on a mission to save X.

X usually equals a family member, but could be a bestie, child of a bestie, or occasionally a piece of jewelry, which will free her people, possibly also giving her the secret to eternal blondeness.

The Boy is kind of a rake... but secretly moral and essentially protective. He might be a bit of a jerk to Girl--for her own good--but his patronizing attitude and guffawing all mask hidden depths of respect and admiration.

Assuming the story gets colored in without going outside the lines, there's still a lot of room to maneuver within that kind of story, so even though I'm sure my summary here is a bit satirical, I'm getting a kick out of this one so far. Ms. Roberson prose is very, very crisp and clean. She's conveying character neatly with very small bits of text. When she has Boy (whom I should be calling Tiger, but since I've started the convention I might as well go with it) casually lean up against a tree to watch Girl, Ms. Roberson paints a nice picture. She doesn't say "insolent" in that gesture, but we can see it in the action. When we are in Boy's POV and he's noting the innuendos involving "sword" we can feel him smirk--most likely because we're smirking too.

I'm only about a quarter through with this one, but the only annoying bit was how easily (view spoiler). She's described as physically formidable, so having her just get (view spoiler) seemed too easy. I think Ms. Roberson wanted to avoid a lot of bloodshed that early in the story, but I think it might have been better to go with something that didn't make Del seem weak.

Gary | 1471 comments Did I miss an explanation? Why are they traveling through the desert during the day and sleeping at night? Isn't one supposed to flip that in particularly hot/harsh terrain?

message 8: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 659 comments Hell, even the FREMEN traveled by night, Gary. Except for the worm rider test.

Gary | 1471 comments Yeah, I'm not getting that bit. It's probably inevitable that one might make some sort of T.E. Lawrence comparison when dealing with a book like this. The whole desert "Punja" trek seems related to the film version of Lawrence of Arabia in the description of the terrain. However, it seems there aren't camels, or a fantasy equivalent. Real world horses apparently don't last long in that kind of travel because they need so much water daily. They could be fantasy versions of horses, and require less water, but that isn't addressed that I recall. It took me out of the story a bit.

message 10: by Yoly (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yoly (macaruchi) | 794 comments We now have a spoiler friendly thread for discussing this book:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I'm not done with this one yet, but I find it was easier to get into than God Stalk which I paused for now, hopefully I will be done with it soon so I can join the discussions.

message 11: by Alicja, ἀπὸ μηχανῆς Θεός (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 772 comments Anyone read the series? I liked the first book, thinking about whether I should pick up the next one soon?

message 12: by Gary (last edited Feb 18, 2015 06:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary | 1471 comments I haven't picked up the second of the series, but I did find her version of the Robin Hood story Lady of the Forest. It's in my "to read" pile (not to be confused with the "to read" list on GR....)

I was happy with this one, though. I'd read the next installment.

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale | 659 comments Gary wrote: "Yeah, I'm not getting that bit. It's probably inevitable that one might make some sort of T.E. Lawrence comparison when dealing with a book like this. The whole desert "Punja" trek seems related ..."

One of the books in the DUNE prequels explained that there are stillsuits that can be adapted to Arakkis bred mules but they don't work as well as the still suits made for people and it's damned near impossible to get the mule to actually WEAR the suit... .so imagine how much harder it'd probably be to adapt the suits for HORSES... .